News COVID-19 pandemic

What will happen after the Corona epidemic?

• The population of Asia will be reduced, accelerating the sustainable development.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • The major civilizations will collapse.

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • The human race will end.

Votes: 20 43.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marijn

Reaction score
Not sure, but I think it's the amount of UV light in summer which helps to kill viruses. Not temperature.

steph

Reaction score
Well, in France they're sort of at a 'take it as it comes' state and they won't do much until they get a handful of cases. I stocked up since January, since I preferred to have some supplies without taking part in all the buying madness

Sure, officially all the big events are canceled, but in the countryside, they don't care that much.

The town near me had two cases from a group that traveled to the Oise department. Two of the rugby team fell ill, and demanded to be tested. The regional center did the same 'nah, it can't be' thing that they did back in January (just how many cases might have slipped like that, I don't want to know), so they drove themselves to Nantes as well (that "I have coronavirus" paper on the car window thing is actually not a meme in France :lol: ). So, they got told to stay at home. None of the others in the group got tested and the school hasn't been closed. They're teenagers, I assume their parents still go to work :rofl:. Got reported as cases in the news, but without name and place to 'protect privacy'

So, yes, we will see a lot more cases. Italy now has something like 3000 patients in ICU, mostly elderly. In here, it's gonna be a question of if they start containment or they'll just let the cities get swamped. For some reason, I think the countryside will be better off simply because of population density and because people might actually start isolating when they see stuff hitting the fan in Italy and the big French cities .

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I heard in Germany and France they are still playing soccer games with all the stadiums filled up by spectators (which is f*#%g madness BTW)
Is that true?

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Here some schools closed, but it's unclear what happens to the parents. I guess they keep going to work, doing shopping (now more because their kids are at home all day), etc.
We have live TV reporters from those schools... I guess journalists are immune ;)

Been thinking about it a bit and it's too wide spread to contain.
Politicians just want to look good in the picture so they order some closures. But they know it's just for show.
And really life must go on. Economy and such. People must keep working, even it some get sick. Otherwise we will all starve.

So it will run it's course like all the other virus...
Keep calm and hope that it doesn't affect you much when you get it.

Last edited:

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The situation here is the following (I live in Milan):
The government has shut down all public places and events, including sports with the exception of pro-events which will take place with no spectators (empty stadiums). You cannot access/exit the RED area (mainly all Lombardy region and part of Emilia Romagna) unless for documented working reasons or emergencies. People in all country are strongly recommended to stay home unless it is really necessary to get out (i.e. food shopping) and to avoid social relations where possible. There are also rules for public places still open (like bars and restaurants) with opening hrs restrictions; the owners have also responsability to limit the number of people inside and take measures in order to maintain proper minimum safe distance between customers (1 mt); if they are caught breaching those rules their business will be shut down. The crazy thing is at the moment all Airports in Lombardy (MXP, LIN and BGY are the main ones) arfe still open and the decision to either cancel pax flights or continue normal operations is left to the airlines(!!)

Situation in ALL hospitals in Lombardy is critical as ICUs available are already full and we expect a high raise in numbers of patients requiring ICU the next days/weeks despite the new restrictive measures. The national healthcare system could collpase if the COVID-19 spread and most importantly spread-rate is not limited/stopped.

Based on what is going on here and on the fact that other regions/nations will likely follow I do not understand why some governments are not taking any particular measures to prevent the virus from spreading to an uncontrollable level. IMO they are really playing with fire and the price to pay will be HUGE

Last edited:

steph

Reaction score
Nope, football matches are either cancelled or played without spectators. Some of the other stuff still goes on though, including concerts. It's mostly the organizers and the sponsors pulliing out of the shows.

It's weird how easily gatherings can spread it. In South Korea , it was that Shincheonji sect. In France, it was a Protestant gathering in Mulhouse of around 2000 people or more. Since they don't keep track of attendees, they don't know who brought it , but quite a few are contaminated.

It's also an interesting example of human behavior. Back when stuff started to go bad in Italy, many Romanians just took off towards their homeland. These were people with jobs there etc, probably having lived there for many years, so not of the 'slavic villain' subtype :lol: .At least some of them had the virus (over 13.000 have been told to self-isolate upon arrival, and these are only the ones from red areas) . Same happened with the Milan shutdown. Entire busloads of people were leaving. Even if they certainly won't have the same chance at getting treated of this in Eastern Europe, that drive to leave or get home was overwhelming. Not once did they consider they might be infecting loved ones in a country with an obsolete health system.

Meanwhile, there is a feeling the lockdown is coming a bit late. Even many Italians left, and a lot of imported cases in France are from people that were nowhere near the red zones, meaning at least the transport hubs have become a means of spreading it.

Last edited:

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
My impression is someone is reallly :censored::censored::censored::censored:ing up here in Europe. Not to mention other places like the US where Trump said "it's not a big deal"

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Everywhere the coronavirus has spread, it's growth has matched the logistic curve very well. I don't think any place has :censored::censored::censored::censored:ed up or done exceptionally well.

---------- Post added at 13:46 ---------- Previous post was at 13:38 ----------

Actually, there is one place that could :censored::censored::censored::censored: this up:

[ame="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1236975196642390022"]Donald J. Trump on Twitter: "The Fake News Media and their partner, the Democrat Party, is doing everything within its semi-considerable power (it used to be greater!) to inflame the CoronaVirus situation, far beyond what the facts would warrant. Surgeon General, “The risk is low to the average American.”"[/ame]

steph

Reaction score
Situation in ALL hospitals in Lombardy is critical as ICUs available are already full and we expect a high raise in numbers of patients requiring ICU the next days/weeks despite the new restrictive measures. The national healthcare system could collpase if the COVID-19 spread and most importantly spread-rate is not limited/stopped.

Based on what is going on here and on the fact that other regions/nations will likely follow I do not understand why some governments are not taking any particular measures to prevent the virus from spreading to an uncontrollable level. IMO they are really playing with fire and the price to pay will be HUGE

This is , I believe, the main risk here. Authorities downplaying it because it's viewed as a virus preying on the elderly, so it's good on the economy.. However, the number of severe cases is likely too high to be able to function normally with this thing in the society. And the incubation time means even if you shut everything down, there will be more cases for a while. Yes, this will be severe, simply because the number of severe cases that die untreated will be horrendous. The only upside is that other countries might see what Italy is going through and stop things before it gets that bad.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I heard in Germany and France they are still playing soccer games with all the stadiums filled up by spectators (which is f*#%g madness BTW)
Is that true?

That is true. We also already discuss this.

But for example, the champions league match of Paris vs Dortmund will take place without spectators.

We have 1100 cases now, but geographically very limited: 1000 of them are in three big states of Germany (Northrhine-Westphalia, Bavaria and Baden-Würtemberg), about 250 alone in the small town of Heinsberg.

The claimed and recommended strategy is maximum confinement here, because right now, all outbreaks can be traced back to single travelling persons, trying to keep even possibly infected separated from healthy persons. All for making sure that those who get life-threatening complications from the virus have all medical care available and the hospitals have enough time to prepare for much more cases.

But as you can also see, its not very consequently implemented.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
I live in Rome.
Yesterday I saw a TV interview to a group of teenagers who were gathering in front of a pub, waiting to get in. It was a big group, around 50 or so.

One said he didn't believe in this virus, he said it was all "government's propaganda".
Another wasn't worried at all, like "nothing can happen to me".
Others were just staring at the interviewer, who asked "didn't you hear? TV says to remain at home, schools were closed for a reason. You should keep some distance from others", and all that safety stuff that keeps going on all day long.
They answered that if they keep one meter distance between each other, they can't properly talk, and since schools were closed, they didn't have to wake up early, so why not going out?

:facepalm:
Bad times ahead.

Sunhillow

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
What I don't understand is, that our health minister recommends to cancel events with more than 1000 people - and football games still take place! All for the money, I think. Even though it is quite sure, that the german Corona hotspot was pushed by a couple who visited a carnival meeting and going to work while already feeling ill :facepalm:

At least the local supermarket where I live still has enough toilet paper, noodles (not only wholegrain) and canned food!

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I live in Rome.
Yesterday I saw a TV interview to a group of teenagers who were gathering in front of a pub, waiting to get in. It was a big group, around 50 or so.

One said he didn't believe in this virus, he said it was all "government's propaganda".
Another wasn't worried at all, like "nothing can happen to me".
Others were just staring at the interviewer, who asked "didn't you hear? TV says to remain at home, schools were closed for a reason. You should keep some distance from others", and all that safety stuff that keeps going on all day long.
They answered that if they keep one meter distance between each other, they can't properly talk, and since schools were closed, they didn't have to wake up early, so why not going out?

:facepalm:
Bad times ahead.

No surprising as being stupid is something one can be proud of nowadays... :facepalm:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
At least the local supermarket where I live still has enough toilet paper, noodles (not only wholegrain) and canned food!

I just bought one of the last four packs of toilet paper here... after it was already completely sold out there on Friday. Its insane. The government keeps on talking for decades to have a proper emergency supply at your home. And then, when a virus knocks on the door and things get real, they exaggarate it. :facepalm:

I declared toilet paper emergency because I only had enough for 10 days left when I did inventory.... Now I have enough for a month.

Sunhillow

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I declared toilet paper emergency because I only had enough for 10 days left when I did inventory.... Now I have enough for a month.
So you should only drink soup for the following weeks :rofl:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
So you should only drink soup for the following weeks :rofl:

Hey, I know too well which items I always forget to buy when I go shopping. :lol:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Its having quite an effect on the Stock Markets.
Oil and power companies are about 20% down today.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
And stupidity is a world wide desease.
Nothing against "schtroumpfs", but still...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.