News COVID-19 pandemic

What will happen after the Corona epidemic?

• The population of Asia will be reduced, accelerating the sustainable development.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • The major civilizations will collapse.

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • The human race will end.

Votes: 20 43.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Several people I know have Teslas. For local travel it's no problem, you install a charging point at home that will charge it overnight.

For longer journeys the Tesla has a massive route planner so you know where to stop to get a rapid change while you have a coffee or lunch.

Also, I know that those have a comfortable range. When I was travelling to my family during the holiday season, I had lots of danish Teslas next to me on the Autobahn. They stayed in my flock for almost 300 km, over 2.5 hours of travel time.

Give those BEVs the better batteries they just move out of the labs (Like the Varta 21700... its one of the few good news here in Germany) and the battery capacity will last longer than the bladder of the driver.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Very unfortunate that many politicians across Europe don't realize that vaccine production is the key.
They spend time with pointless measures, instead of actually solving the problem.
They keep talking (blaming AZ, new variants, whatever) but that doesn't make doses appear.
This is why I think the population of Europe will go down again (especially in Italy, where there are significant aging population). The Black Death reduced the population of Europe by 30% in medieval times.
Of course, the population decline may have positive impact in lifestyle of average people. Here in India, we have 411 people living in an area of 1 square kilometre, more than 280 people in 1 square kilometre in Great Britain.
Also, I know that those have a comfortable range. When I was travelling to my family during the holiday season, I had lots of danish Teslas next to me on the Autobahn. They stayed in my flock for almost 300 km, over 2.5 hours of travel time.
Autobahn? Do you mean motorway?

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Autobahn? Do you mean motorway?

Well, Motorway is the British version of a controlled access highway, Autobahn is a bit special though.

I made the experience that using highway makes people rather think about the federal roads, which can look like a Autobahn but have different regulations (And are a completely different environment to drive on. Autobahn is for Mad Max.)

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
@soumya-8974: in Germany they have highway sections where there is no speed limit. Car and motors industry is the country economic locomotive (with chemical industry) ; and high-end BMW or Audi cars easily reach 250 km/h. Its some kind of "buy our expensive cars, we give you the right to use them fully" deal.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
@soumya-8974: in Germany they have highway sections where there is no speed limit. Car and motors industry is the country economic locomotive (with chemical industry) ; and high-end BMW or Audi cars easily reach 250 km/h. Its some kind of "buy our expensive cars, we give you the right to use them fully" deal.

Its our second amendment. :censored: The right to drive like Michael Schumacher.

Nobody here drives like Sebastian Vettel or Nico Rosberg, who had been far less dangerous to themselves and others.

A BEV that can reach 300 km/h and have 300 km range at that speed... that would be a dream here....

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah but above 300 km/h you begin to have issues like very fast tire wear.

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
For me 200 Km/h is enough. I mostly Drive between 160 to 180. But I also enjoy 120 Km/h on the Canary Islands.

For those who don‘t know Autobahn:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
For me 200 Km/h is enough. I mostly Drive between 160 to 180. But I also enjoy 120 Km/h on the Canary Islands.

For those who don‘t know Autobahn:

Usually, I enjoy travelling at merely 130 km/h... its the design speed for the Autobahn, so less wear on your neck and arms. And fast enough for long distance.

I also did a test at limiting to 120 km/h last year, when many people really refrained from travelling without a good reason. Greatly reduced the fuel consumption, while only a small penalty on travel time.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
@Urwumpe: yes this is something I have often noticed, in France top speed is 130 km/h on highways, but if you really want to optimize fuel consumption/travel time, 110 km/h works the best with a lot of cars. And for trucks are limit is 110 km/h anyways, so you keep the safety braking distance from a truck before you, and you even benefit a bit from the "suction force".

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
@Urwumpe: yes this is something I have often noticed, in France top speed is 130 km/h on highways, but if you really want to optimize fuel consumption/travel time, 110 km/h works the best with a lot of cars. And for trucks are limit is 110 km/h anyways, so you keep the safety braking distance from a truck before you, and you even benefit a bit from the "suction force".

Yeah, it is simply about going with the flow. But I would never drive so close to a truck, that I benefit from its slipstream... If I can read the container registration plate in the back, its far too close.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That's why I put "safety braking distance", which is 78 meters (official figure for 130 km/h, on a dry highway, of course).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That's why I put "safety braking distance", which is 78 meters (official figure for 130 km/h, on a dry highway, of course).

Ok...what ever benefits you then, it sure isn't the slipstream of the truck at 100 km/h. For getting the advantages of platooning by smarter autopilot systems in trucks, the distance between the truck has to be reduced to merely 6m.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Funnily, if you look at the pages of aerodynamicists for finding out how long the distance actually really is, you get informed of an absolutely logical, but counterintuitive behaviour: The first truck in a platoon would consume less fuel, if another truck is tailgating him, because the pressure behind his truck is now higher and the drag lower. The last truck has the lowest effect, because of the high pressure drop behind him.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
As things are - once again - spiraling out of control, France is - no big surprise - extending the "near-lockdown" that was already in place around Paris and in the North to the whole country. Schools will be closed "for 3 to 4 weeks".

APDAF

Reaction score
It will never end, given how easy the public rolled over and let governments take away our liberties the powers at be now know they can just keep doing it and the public at large will just accept the "New Normal"

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It will never end

Well here I'd say its on a knife's edge. It would not take that much for a country-wide riot. There is a breaking point, simply it hasn't been reached yet...

APDAF

Reaction score
When will enough be enough?

We've been under effective house arrest for a year now and any anti-lockdown protests are crushed by heavy handed police

Status
Not open for further replies.