Cycling / Running - Logs, Stories, & Pictures (any fellow cyclists or runners here?)

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I finally did some editing in Vegas again. Here's a highlight video from one of my races this past weekend.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
I'm not a cyclist myself, but I just found out about these LoopWheels:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1205277475/loopwheels-for-a-smoother-more-comfortable-bicycle

and I thought "hey, it can only be posted on OF".
Maybe they're not exactly for speed and performance, but the concept looks smart!

Edit re: performance (from the webpage):

Loopwheels will never be suitable for racing road bikes, as the aerodynamics are not as good as a spoked wheel. It's the comfort that is the big advantage, so that's why I've gone for urban commuter bikes first. And I want to do a 26" wheel for mtb. I ride a prototype rear loopwheel on my hardtail mtb and it's beautiful.

Last edited:

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
A little insight into (some) British motorists' views about sharing the road with cyclists:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22614569

From experience I can say that this isn't a particularly extreme incident (except maybe for the stupidity of the tweeter). I've been knocked over, cut off, squeezed between buses, gone over bonnets and car doors opened in front of me, overtaken so close that the handle bars scratched along the car ... it's survival of the fittest :(

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A little insight into (some) British motorists' views about sharing the road with cyclists:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22614569

From experience I can say that this isn't a particularly extreme incident (except maybe for the stupidity of the tweeter). I've been knocked over, cut off, squeezed between buses, gone over bonnets and car doors opened in front of me, overtaken so close that the handle bars scratched along the car ... it's survival of the fittest :(

Wow that is rough. I bike to work every morning, but my route is much easier & safer than some. Some motorists are really rude though, Ive gotten all sorts of crap just for being on the road...

80mileshigh

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
eightymileshigh.wordpress.com
I passed the Kármán line today: exceeding a cumulative total of 100,000 metres (328,084 ft) elevation for my cycling so far this year. :)

In space, no one can hear you pant.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I've really been wanting to get back into riding the past few weeks. I used to ride practically nonstop back in my late teens/early twenties. I'm finding it difficult to find a ride that fits both my size (5'4") and my budget ($350 USD is the absolute max I can spend right now, and honestly that's pushing it). The lowest-end bike I can get at my local shop is $680. I could save up for it, but by the time I have the money, it will be too cold to ride, and I don't want to put off riding for another year.

I wouldn't consider myself a serious rider, I do it mainly for exercise, but equally such for stress relief. So I can't see spending that much for something I will be using relatively casually as compared to most. I know, you get what you pay for, and I'm not in any way complaining about the prices of the bikes at the shop, I think they are worth every penny. I just don't have enough pennies right now.

80mileshigh

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
I could save up for it, but by the time I have the money, it will be too cold to ride, and I don't want to put off riding for another year.

You should be able to find an old school 80s-90s steel frame road bike on ebay around that price point. It could be a stop gap measure while you save. Just make sure it's in OK condition or it could cost you more to get it running.

Here's one that looks alright - if a 50cm frame is suitable for you? It looks almost unused - the plastic on the spoke protector hasn't even yellowed.

Avoid anything that sells new at that price.

Staiduk

Reaction score
Don't have the time to read the whole thread; but I've recently started running again. I don't cycle; I hate it - what's the point of running like heck to give your butt a ride? (as my farmer ex-father-in-law once said. :) )

I started running again because I'm getting into shape to join the Army. Yes; you read that right - I; a 47-year-old man, am re-joining the Canadian Army as a Private Infantryman. I intend to submit my application this October; in time for the fall round of selections. Why? After I left the Army 20 years ago I never found anything that fulfilled my need for...well...fulfillment that the Army provided. It's true I was terribly damaged by the combat operations I experienced in the former Yugoslavia; but I suspect much of that difficulty was due to my being forced to watch from the sidelines; as it were. I do three things very well. I print - but my commercial trade is almost dead now; killed by the Internet. After almost twenty years in the Trade I am regularly forced back into entry-level positions (though not entry-level pay, thank God) due to the sheer number of Journeymen marking time above me in the seniority list. I fly - though I lost my pilot's licence due to alcoholism years ago and was already too old to be considered for either fixed-wing or helicopter bush flight.

But I also fight. I fight better than anyone else I've ever known. It's easily my single best skill (though I feel I should point out that fighting effectively is a blend of a plethora of widely diverse skills; it is not one single topic). There are, I am sure, many who are far better than me but I've never met them. What trade then for a man who can fight superbly well and has no moral restriction against doing so?

I was an Infantryman; a Section Commander (Sergeant) of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. I will be so again - it will not take me long to earn my old rank back.

I hold no illusions about how difficult it will be; I doubt anyone of my age has ever passed Battle School. But I have a major advantage: I know what it is to be Infantry. The things about Basic Training, Battle School and Infantry School that civilians consider to be 'hard': the physical brutality; the mental and emotional cruelty, etc - are not at all hard if you're mind's in the right place. The Instructors are there to weed out the weaklings - all you need to do is not be weak; and you'll get through. As a veteran; I already think like a soldier. I know exactly what Basic Training is like; I took it twice and taught it three times. Believe me - old and out-of-shape as I am; Basic will feel like a virtual vacation to me.

My only concern is my fitness level; which has slipped remarkably. I was steadily slipping in my fitness level through the years I was a civilian - one dealing with the awful effects of alcoholism and PTSD. After my testicular cancer diagnosis and treatment I fell much, much farther; I was reduced to using scooters and walkers to get around. But I have since built myself back up. I don't have a fraction of the insane physical energy I had when I was 20; but I can easily run to work (about 5 miles). My work is quite intense; regularly demanding I lift 200lb. rollers and push 2 ton rolls of paper around. My job is ideal - it combines heavy physical work with intense mental pressure. It might well be Hell to someone who isn't a workaholic; but I am one and love it.
What has this to do with running?
Sometime last year; my relief came in ten minutes early and let me go. Rather than wait 50 minutes for the bus (this was a Sunday night) I chose to run/walk the 28 blocks to the nearest bus stop that would arrive earlier. (Bad syntax. You know what I mean.)
Gawd it was awful. I switched between running and jogging; sweating and cursing the whole way; certain I was destined for a heart attack. But somewhere around the Jaimeson Lumber yard; my legs spead out; my breathing deepened and I fell into the old routine I remembered from twenty years earlier. I felt good. I made the 28 blocks in 16 minutes flat. I arrived too late to catch the bus - he arrived 30 seconds before I did - but I was able to sprint and catch him before the next stop.
THAT was when I knew I could still rejoin the Army. That I have what it takes - that I am still young enough.
Now I only have to convince my recruiter.
Wish me luck. :)

Last edited:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Don't have the time to read the whole thread; but I've recently started running again. I don't cycle; I hate it - what's the point of running like heck to give your butt a ride? (as my farmer ex-father-in-law once said. :) )

Well, different things :). Once youve blown apart your knees enough, cycling is a much better alternative than running, which I used to love to do. Besides, cycling allows you to get more bang for your buck in effort. I can bike to my work in 6-7 minutes at my fastest, not bad when I only need to get in at 9:30 :lol:.

I started running again because I'm getting into shape to join the Army. Yes; you read that right - I; a 47-year-old man, am re-joining the Canadian Army as a Private Infantryman. I intend to submit my application this October; in time for the fall round of selections. Why? After I left the Army 20 years ago I never found anything that fulfilled my need for...well...fulfillment that the Army provided. It's true I was terribly damaged by the combat operations I experienced in the former Yugoslavia; but I suspect much of that difficulty was due to my being forced to watch from the sidelines; as it were. I do three things very well. I print - but my commercial trade is almost dead now; killed by the Internet. After almost twenty years in the Trade I am regularly forced back into entry-level positions (though not entry-level pay, thank God) due to the sheer number of Journeymen marking time above me in the seniority list. I fly - though I lost my pilot's licence due to alcoholism years ago and was already too old to be considered for either fixed-wing or helicopter bush flight.

But I also fight. I fight better than anyone else I've ever known. It's easily my single best skill (though I feel I should point out that fighting effectively is a blend of a plethora of widely diverse skills; it is not one single topic). There are, I am sure, many who are far better than me but I've never met them. What trade then for a man who can fight superbly well and has no moral restriction against doing so?

I was an Infantryman; a Section Commander (Sergeant) of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. I will be so again - it will not take me long to earn my old rank back.

I hold no illusions about how difficult it will be; I doubt anyone of my age has ever passed Battle School. But I have a major advantage: I know what it is to be Infantry. The things about Basic Training, Battle School and Infantry School that civilians consider to be 'hard': the physical brutality; the mental and emotional cruelty, etc - are not at all hard if you're mind's in the right place. The Instructors are there to weed out the weaklings - all you need to do is not be weak; and you'll get through. As a veteran; I already think like a soldier. I know exactly what Basic Training is like; I took it twice and taught it three times. Believe me - old and out-of-shape as I am; Basic will feel like a virtual vacation to me.

My only concern is my fitness level; which has slipped remarkably. I was steadily slipping in my fitness level through the years I was a civilian - one dealing with the awful effects of alcoholism and PTSD. After my testicular cancer diagnosis and treatment I fell much, much farther; I was reduced to using scooters and walkers to get around. But I have since built myself back up. I don't have a fraction of the insane physical energy I had when I was 20; but I can easily run to work (about 5 miles). My work is quite intense; regularly demanding I lift 200lb. rollers and push 2 ton rolls of paper around. My job is ideal - it combines heavy physical work with intense mental pressure. It might well be Hell to someone who isn't a workaholic; but I am one and love it.
What has this to do with running?
Sometime last year; my relief came in ten minutes early and let me go. Rather than wait 50 minutes for the bus (this was a Sunday night) I chose to run/walk the 28 blocks to the nearest bus stop that would arrive earlier. (Bad syntax. You know what I mean.)
Gawd it was awful. I switched between running and jogging; sweating and cursing the whole way; certain I was destined for a heart attack. But somewhere around the Jaimeson Lumber yard; my legs spead out; my breathing deepened and I fell into the old routine I remembered from twenty years earlier. I felt good. I made the 28 blocks in 16 minutes flat. I arrived too late to catch the bus - he arrived 30 seconds before I did - but I was able to sprint and catch him before the next stop.
THAT was when I knew I could still rejoin the Army. That I have what it takes - that I am still young enough.
Now I only have to convince my recruiter.
Wish me luck. :)

I just want to pay my deepest respects to you sir. :salute:

Youre a much braver man than I am.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Here's one that looks alright - if a 50cm frame is suitable for you? It looks almost unused - the plastic on the spoke protector hasn't even yellowed.

Thanks, taking a good look at that one. Plus it's in Indy, which is only 2.5-3 hrs away. :hmm: Wonder if the seller would let me pick it up. With the gas mileage I get in my car, would be a heck of a lot cheaper than $50 to go get it. Well, maybe. Would probably have to fill up once, which is around $45 these days, so maybe better to ship.

If Amazon's sizing chart is relatively accurate, 50cm is right in the middle of ideal road bike size, with 52cm being the upper limit.
Avoid anything that sells new at that price.

So your advice is to avoid, say, this bike or similar bikes in this price range?

80mileshigh

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
So your advice is to avoid, say, this bike or similar bikes in this price range?

Well, it's a rule of thumb with bikes, that very cheap new bikes tend not to work out well in the long run. Cyclists sometimes refer to these as BSOs (Bicycle shaped objects).

That said, I ignored this rule back in 2009 when I bought my first bike in years. I paid about $400 (roughly the same in USD) and rode the bike quite a lot without any major problems. The one you linked has a name brand groupset, so it's a step up from a BSO, and like my old bike it would probably be fine for casual use. I found this review by someone who was happy with it.

As for going down the second hand route, that Fuji may well be more lightweight and robust than the Giordano. I have a friend who is riding a vintage steel Peugeot, replete with downtube shifters, and he drops plenty of guys on new bikes.

The downside of buying an old bike is likely to be in the condition of the groupset (gearing, shifters and brakes) wheels, and tires. This could cost you more. At least with the Giordano these things will be new, even if they're not high spec.

Sorry if this all sounds a bit inconclusive. Either way, I think you should have no problem for casual use, so long as the sizing is OK. It might be worth visiting a local bike shop just to get a sense of what sort of sizing suits you. But most of all, get something you'll want to ride! You'll soon know if you want to invest in something more.

And if you win the lottery, please get me this one.

Staiduk

Reaction score
This is probably a good time to ask the opinions of others here: I typically run weighted as we did in the Army; in boots and my lunch backpack. We wore combat boots in the Army of course; nowadays I wear my steel-toed Cat work shoes (with orthopaedic insoles; astonishingly comfortable and well-fit to my feet.) The idea is that by becoming normalized to the weight once I switch to running shoes and PT gear in Basic running will be far easier. For the purposes of increasing CV health and endurance is this an effective plan or should I just switch to a more classic running style? Remember the intent of a soldier's endurance is combat-related; the ability to move fast and fight under extreme conditions.
Thanks. :)

80mileshigh

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Anyone watching the Tour?

One week down and two to go, this could almost have gone in the Australia vs England thread. First week honours went to the Australian GreenEDGE team who won two stages and held yellow for four days. Since then the Brit (South African / Kenyan) Chris Froome has taken the yellow jersey, as everyone expected, and he may well hold it all the way to Paris. Hopefully it won't be quite as boring as that!

Fun recaps from the American cycling blogger Cosmo Catalano:

[ame="http://vimeo.com/69611704"]How The Race Was Won - Tour de France 2013, Stages 1-4 on Vimeo[/ame]

[ame="http://vimeo.com/69876162"]How The Race Was Won - Tour de France 2013, Stages 5-9 on Vimeo[/ame]

GreenEDGE celebrated their success with typical Australian larrikinism - making an AC/DC tribute video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAl1-mBhFpU"]OGEROCKS - AC/DC Tribute - YouTube[/ame]

Such a study in contrasts to the calculated technocratic team Sky!

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
I did 1000 meter swim without stops in 20min today. and it Feels good :). Due to the weather here (27*C and no clouds) It felt even better to get in to the water and cool off with that weird sweating whilst swimming feeling.

80mileshigh

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
So I finally got around to racing...

64km D/E scratch race (D is roughly around Cat5 US) on a hilly course. I made a break on a climb about 6km out from the finish and won!

Road racing is done in the winter here with crit racing in the summer. I've started late in the road racing season so there's only a couple more I can enter, but I'm really glad to finally be in the mix.

Big thanks to Tex for being one of my sources of inspiration!

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Sorry I missed your post until now Alain! Congrats on your win, that's a huge accomplishment. Very happy to see you doing so well!! :)

I know you saw my rides already on Strava from my first visit to the mountains, but here is the first video I've uploaded showing the descent down south grade road on Mt. Palomar. Very technical and plenty scary...!

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
East Grade descent with dubstep mixed in.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
My first cat 3/4 race. This is also the first bike race around Circuit of the Americas. It was 102F when we started...so hot! Tough race and I was nearly collected in a crash around 45:50 in the video.