Cycling / Running - Logs, Stories, & Pictures (any fellow cyclists or runners here?)

steph

Reaction score
No backpacks for me, as I hate the sweat on my back. Helmets, on the other hand, absolutely. Perhaps other stuff, like knee guards. It sounds childish to have that much damping, but a high speed crash on a bike can get pretty ugly, even if you don't impact anything but the ground. Beyond a certain speed, physics gets in the way, I guess... Pretty much the same feeling you getduring downhill. Fast, fun, but you definitely aren't supposed to go that fast on that thing.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Helmet and gloves for me... also SPD pedals are mandatory for me now.

No problem with a backpack when I am shopping or want to take some clothes to change with me. But its really better without.

MikeB

Reaction score
I had my worst wreck ever (age 70) on Sep 10, and I'm still not fully recovered. The worst aspect is that I don't really know what happened, as I hit my head hard enough to lose consciousness. I was using the Cyclemeter app at the time, and it shows I was going downhill about 25 mph (40 kph), on a route I've ridden at least 50 times before. I have the impression that my front brake locked up and I might have gone over the handlebars; at least I lost control.

I had road rash on the left side of my face, ear, and neck; quite deep on the back of my left shoulder and front of right shoulder; both forearms and hands; right buttock and lower leg. There was also a greasy print from the chainring on the outside of my right leg. No broken bones. My helmet was broken in three places, and my eyeglasses were mangled; my jersey has one large and one small hole worn through on the back; my bike shorts are worn through to the pad.

Fortunately I wasn't riding alone, as I usually do. My wife was a short distance behind. However, she was looking at her speedometer and braking (she gets nervous over 25 mph), and only looked up when she heard the shrieking sounds, from the bike and maybe me. I got an ambulance ride to the emergency room (no siren, though). Seven weeks later, I still have whiplash-like muscle soreness and stiffness in shoulders/neck, but I hope to get back on the bike in the next few days. The bike's rear wheel was bent beyond straightening, but otherwise survived OK.

ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET!