Question D3D11 Implementation: Realistic Re-entry effects and Lens Flare

fcn

Student XR2 Pilot
Reaction score
No, this is also possible, but I meant mostly rays like I've shown. Actually I sort of understand why effect like you've shown occurs and what causes it, but for the rays - I have no clue, but in order to model it appropriately I need to understand the science behind the effect, and have some quantitative description of effect (i.e. mathematical model).

That would be great. So far most of issues that were reported were mostly regarding visual glitches, all CTDs that were reported so far were caused either by some dll missing, or by outdated drivers :)

As far as I remember an open source planetarium software called Celestia has this rays of light effect around sun. Maybe taking a look at that might help.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
On the subject of entry plasma here's some research of mine:

Checking with the STS-107 Entry Flightdeck video, the first report of plasma visible from the forward windows was at EI+00:30, with it becoming visible to the camera at EI+02:10.

According to Revision 15 of the STS-107 Accident Investigation Summary Timeline posted by NASA on March 17 2003, start of peak heating was at EI+05:54 at an altitude of 72,914.4 m and at a ground relative speed of Mach 24.12.

According to Bill Anders (Apollo 8 LMP) in the Discovery Channel documentary "When We Left Earth, part 2 'Landing the Eagle/The Explorers'", the color of the entry plasma starts out pink then transitions to red, orange and finally yellow.

Last edited: