OHM DarkEnergy Spaceplane

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Oh... I just glanced at the buttons overall and thought "nah, that's just the autopilots buttons, that doesn't fit in there, must be somewhere else...".
Back-story on that: Long before I asked BrianJ to make the reentry autopilot MFD, I had a (really bad) AoA hold autopilot controlled by what is now the LV SEP button. When the entry autopilot MFD came along, I was left with an extra button to do something with, and since I needed a LV SEP button anyway, I re-purposed it for that.

In the camera view hovering on top of the central switches panel looking down (ctrl-alt-up I think) the camera seems to strive towards a certain point and then can't be rotated anymore. I'm suspecting a gimbal lock.
I think this is an Orbiter bug. I usually use ctrl-alt-right instead, that view works better. I will try and improve the viewpoint stuff in the next version.

My RCS propellant gauge is showing empty all the time for some reason. Note that this may be because RCS propellant is actually empty, I haven't gotten to try maneuvering due to not finding the seperation button yet. But if so, I'm not quite sure how to change that. I rechecked all my switches after power-up and they seem to be correct? Well, except for the roof...
Is it possible you bumped the fuel X-Feed knob? If you transfer fuel to a full tank it will dump fuel! The tank can be refilled in scenario editor just like any other vessel. As far as the gauge, if any other gauges are working than it is powered and indicating correctly.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ok, had time to try again, and had a much better ride this time around. Closed the roof in time, and the RCS tank isn't empty. Probably I did accidentally hit a switch that emptied the darn thing last time around.
There was just one moment of terror, when both the alarms went off at some point during orbit insertion. I couldn't find anything wrong on any of the indicators, might have been because I was pulling 7 Gs for a short moment at some point...
Great fun so far, looking forward to having more time with it.

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Ok, had time to try again, and had a much better ride this time around. Closed the roof in time, and the RCS tank isn't empty. Probably I did accidentally hit a switch that emptied the darn thing last time around.
There was just one moment of terror, when both the alarms went off at some point during orbit insertion. I couldn't find anything wrong on any of the indicators, might have been because I was pulling 7 Gs for a short moment at some point...
Great fun so far, looking forward to having more time with it.
Both activated simultaneously? IIRC, the only thing that causes that is a fuel cell overload.
During a nominal ascent, the MWS (Yellow light) comes on 10 seconds before staging to warn the crew.
The other one only activates if something is really wrong; G load >9, main bus over/undervolt, fuel cell disconnect.
What specifically happened? So I know if I have another bug to chase…

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I wouldn't chase anything yet, I'll have to see if I can reproduce. One thing I did wrong was that some of the RCS thrusters that were supposed to be switched on weren't, which I noticed during ascent. I was switching them on as the alarms started blearing. Possibly the rocket couldn't turn as much as it should and started to correct its trajectory pretty hard once it had the thrusters to work with? I said I pulled 7 Gs because that's what I saw when I looked at the indicator for the first time after the beeping started, I guess it's possible it was over 9 for a short time... I'll have to try and reproduce. Maybe a christmass tree somewhere in the cockpit would be helpful for identifying alarms, or just different kinds of beeping for different alarms (much less work to implement, and would probably do an adequate job).

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Maybe a christmass tree somewhere in the cockpit would be helpful for identifying alarms, or just different kinds of beeping for different alarms (much less work to implement, and would probably do an adequate job).
Yeah, the caution/warning system was a bit of a rush job. In the next version I am planning a bank of lights to show exactly what is wrong like the XR series or Apollo CSM.

WolfAngriff

The NSEU (Never Satisfied End User)
Reaction score
Ok, just launching the ISS mission right now. Reporting soon. 3,2,1... Wooosh !

So, this spaceplane is damn good ! Just when i reached the ISS (align plane 0.00, 72 km dist), i've had an engine failure ! Impossible to stabilize and break the RVel ! Mission abort... I think i'll have something to say to the Quality Manager... So i reduced my Pe to 200 km. Using BaseSync, i aligned with Ouessant Island on the node, which was the closest base on the MFD. I should be able to land before the night. Dist 20 km, that's good. Near the Pe, alarm ! The MPS tank is only 10% ! So, retrograde, and burn on the Pe ! Let's hope the last engine works ! No base aligned, i should land somewhere in Europe ? Deorbit autopilot : Go ! I reached 120 km alt near the western coast of Spain. Rentry Autopilot : Go ! The tanks are nearly empty, i'm light. Max 1.7 G, pretty comfortable. I take a look at Map MFD. What ??? I'm falling down to... China !!! OK, speed is good, i raise the nose. Suddenly : altitude 3000 m. Ok, where's this button ? 2500 m. Hey, wait, what's happening ? Ok, F1. Argh : mountains ! And crash.

Even if mission failed, it was a great flight, the immersion is good, the vessel's management is awesome ! There's a learning curve, it's so great ! So, as others and me said, an alarm indicator (chritmas tree) would be realy enjoyable with such a complex vessel. All the rest is glorious. Two questions : i don't remember an alarm rang when i loosed the engine. Is it normal ? Could the vessel suffer a fuel leak, or did i do something wrong ?

Thanx a lot for this incredible toy ! I think i'll retry this weekend.

Edit : 2nd mission successful ! Everything worked fine, i even managed to land at KTYQ, right on the tarmac ! Only one simple thing, an RCS thruster kept firing when checking procedures before undocking, i simply shut it down. It was one on the four upward on the vessel's nose, not a big problem. So, for those who'd like to fly this bird, follow the procedures ! It's not only eye-candy, they are REALY useful. This vessel is very acurate, just powerful enough to have fun, and just limited enough to be cautious when flying it.

Question : will there be an automated cargo version ?

Last edited:

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
So, as others and me said, an alarm indicator (chritmas tree) would be realy enjoyable with such a complex vessel.
Definitely will be in the next version. I am away from Orbiter until early September, so will start working on it then.

i don't remember an alarm rang when i loosed the engine. Is it normal ? Could the vessel suffer a fuel leak, or did i do something wrong ?
1. Yes, this is normal. As with real hardware, you don’t know it dosen’t work until you try and use it… :oops:
2. No fuel leaks are implemented as failures, but the fuel X-Feed selector can dump an entire tank overboard if used incorrectly. Also, the RCS fuel tank is really small and easy to drain if you do any serious RCS burns.

i even managed to land at KTYQ, right on the tarmac !
Gotta love the low landing speeds possible with a parafoil!

Only one simple thing, an RCS thruster kept firing when checking procedures before undocking, i simply shut it down. It was one on the four upward on the vessel's nose, not a big problem.
So we discover another failure mode… Reminds me of Gemini 8… ;)
Now we know why the ship has redundant thrusters and those procedures in the undock checklist. FYI, the most critical ones to lose are one of the four roll jets on the aft bulkhead.

Question : will there be an automated cargo version ?
Probably? I actually designed this ship with four versions in mind:
  • An unmanned cargo freighter (mk1)
  • A version with a small cargo bay and no docking system (mk2)
  • The one I released (mk3)
  • A deep space capable ship with much more dV and a lunar lander (mk4)
I am planning on working on one of these next, any votes on which one? Currently I am thinking mk4 next.

I think i'll have something to say to the Quality Manager...
It is a Flight Test Mission. You must expect failures… :)

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am planning on working on one of these next, any votes on which one? Currently I am thinking mk4 next.
Mk4 sounds fun. What I would personally wish for the most was something like this, but for the shuttle-A kind of role (orbital, and potentially lunar, cargo transport without atmospheric capability). The mk4 sounds like it would be kind of capable to slip into that role, but something like this might also be a stepping stone to developing something like a mk4 (you could develop most of the lander systems, but without needing a completely separate lander yet).
In the end, you should obviously do what excites you the most.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think the mk4 has more potential for players. The Mk1 could be more interesting for scenario and station building.

I think some "quality of life" improvements could also be nice, I even have an idea for one, that could be done by myself without modifying your add-on (A digital flight data file and flight plan MFD)...

WolfAngriff

Reaction score
I think the Mk4 will depend on further development of the Ion LV's family. A heavy version with solid boosters should be required, with an adapted launchpad. Very expensive operations for the agency... ;)

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Mk4 sounds fun. What I would personally wish for the most was something like this, but for the shuttle-A kind of role (orbital, and potentially lunar, cargo transport without atmospheric capability). The mk4 sounds like it would be kind of capable to slip into that role, but something like this might also be a stepping stone to developing something like a mk4 (you could develop most of the lander systems, but without needing a completely separate lander yet).
In the end, you should obviously do what excites you the most.
That is 3 votes for mk4, plus that is the way I was leaning that way anyhow. (y)
Personally, I prefer a separate lander, why bring all that heavy return-to-earth stuff to the surface. The way I was thinking for mk4 is to have a large unpressurized cargo bay to transport the lander in, so that bay could also be used for cargo as well. I am thinking a pretty big bay, at least 4m diameter; so it should fit some serious cargo.

The Mk1 could be more interesting for scenario and station building.
Also a heck of a lot less work for me. I may do both mk1 and mk4 simultaneously.

I think some "quality of life" improvements could also be nice, I even have an idea for one, that could be done by myself without modifying your add-on (A digital flight data file and flight plan MFD)...
That sounds amazing! If you choose to create it, please release on OF! :)
Or, if you prefer, I would be pleased to bundle it in the addon with proper credits of course.

I think the Mk4 will depend on further development of the Ion LV's family. A heavy version with solid boosters should be required, with an adapted launchpad. Very expensive operations for the agency... ;)
One by one, Ion Aerospace’s secrets are revealed... The next Ion LV is already in early development; it is a truly massive beast with a projected payload capability of over 53,000kg to TLI. :cool: All three stages use LH2/LOX; The first stage has a 12 meter diameter and 7 RS-68B engines. Srage 2 is 10 meters in diameter with 6 J-2S engines. The third stage is 7 meters in diameter with a single J-2X engine. For ground facilities, launch is planned from LC–39B with a new mobile launch platform. Vehicle stacking will take place in the VAB.

Last edited:

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Here is v1.1

Bugfixes and minor feature updates
  • New panel backlighting feature; now you can read the labels in low-light situations
  • C&W Alarm panel; no more “What the heck does that alarm mean?!?” moments
  • Parafoils locked out during launch
  • VC framerate drop bug addressed (I hope...)
  • Launch-with-hatch-open bug fixed; countdown now checks to verify hatch is closed to prevent open cockpit spaceplanes from reaching orbit.
  • Center console VC viewpoint improvements

DarkEnergy Cockpit 3.png

WolfAngriff

Reaction score
Hi Max-Q !

Just made a (very) short testing of the beast on orbit :
Center view point : OK, way better
Framerate loss : smooth ! It's amazing !
Backlighting : great, immersive, comfortable !
C&W panel : no alarm yet, but i'll test a complete (custom ?) mission this weekend. Looks great anyway.
Other improvements : not tested yet.

Thanx a lot for this update, the framerate fix is sooooo cool ! Let's see how it is changing altitude, and close to better ISS. I'm too tired now for a space mission, i'd better drive my virtual John Deere. Less complicated and less dangerous. :cool:

Pioneer

Reaction score
Hello Max-Q!

Loving the spaceplane! Definitely adds a great realism element to the simulation and makes LEO flights exciting again. I'm having an issue regarding my ascent. Just before MECO and first stage separation, I get a MCS LV alarm, and after 1st stage separation my controls all lock up and I can't switch anything unless I go through the "just MFDs" view through F8. I believe I am following all the instructions in the manual yet it still happens. Some help here would be greatly appreciated!

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Just before MECO and first stage separation, I get a MCS LV alarm
That is normal. The booster is simply warning you that staging is coming in 10 seconds. You can dismiss it by pressing the MCS light.

after 1st stage separation my controls all lock up and I can't switch anything unless I go through the "just MFDs" view through F8.
Orbiter bug. When the booster calls the "ShiftCG" function, orbiter shifts the VC stuff for all vessels in the scenario. The NASSP team had this same issue when they implemented shifting CG in the LM&CSM. The way I get around this is just after staging, I switch over the right seat and back. Maybe @jalexb88 can shed some light on this one.

I believe I am following all the instructions in the manual yet it still happens.
Thank you for reading the manual! ;)

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ah, front docking port, I like that a lot! Makes it compatible with spinning space stations like Luna OB-1 (as long as it's centered in the rotational axis, but I can't see why it woldn't be...)! Might be a bit of a problem with reentry, though, no?
Will the payload mass be adjustable in-sim (like through scenario editor or something)?

WolfAngriff

Reaction score
And the transfer to the lander will be made by EVA... Or via the "normal" docking port after LTI, through a docking manoeuvre. I guess the front docking system will be ejected. Seeing the RCS on 3rd stage, Darkenergy will stay attached to it all along the mission, and will be ejected just before reentry ? The launcher looks gorgeous ! :p

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Might be a bit of a problem with reentry, though, no?
I guess the front docking system will be ejected.
Correct. The front docking system is also used as the hardpoints for the escape tower during powered flight.

Will the payload mass be adjustable in-sim (like through scenario editor or something)?
Well, yes in a way… you can dock anything you want to the fwd port. I decided against an internal payload bay for structural and vehicle length issues.

And the transfer to the lander will be made by EVA... Or via the "normal" docking port after LTI, through a docking manoeuvre.
Undock lander, pitch DarkEnergy 90 degrees, and dock with the lander using the top IDA. No EVA needed, although that would be a contingency procedure. Maybe I should put handrails on the top of the vehicle?

Seeing the RCS on 3rd stage, Darkenergy will stay attached to it all along the mission, and will be ejected just before reentry ?
That is actually the 4th stage; it is functionally equivalent to the Apollo service module. Ion 6 has three LOX/LH2 stages to get the vehicle to TLI, then the DarkEnergy SM engines are used for all other maneuvers. In the deep space configuration, DE has no main engines or forward/aft translation capability without the SM.
Correct, it is jettisoned about a half hour before entry along with the nose docking port.

The launcher looks gorgeous ! :p
Thanks! I can’t wait to see it textured and in Orbiter!