Deepstar makes real time trip to Mars.

Ark

Reaction score
But it does provide better perspective of the vast scales and time required for interplanetary travel.

I think some of the "Mars Direct" and "Constellation" guys might change their minds if they had to sit thru a real-time Orbiter trip to Mars confined to a small RV/Caravan.

A trip to Mars takes six months stuck in a little tin can.

In the words of Bill Envall: "I appreciate that."

Keatah

Reaction score
I have a WinXP machine that I can run for months and months on end, it doesn't crash or leak memory or slowdown or do strange Orbiter-Crashing stuff.

Recently I've been doing all sorts of Jovian system mining operations and the like.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
This just in, Deepstar has made it to Mars in real time. The ship left Earth at 2:23 AM 7/7/2009 in real time or Fri Jun 19, 11:43 2020 in sim time. And made it to Mars today at 6:08 PM 2/4/2010 or Dec 31 3:01 2020.

It was a long journey and I spent the 7 months building a lunar space station as stuff like that.

I've been planning something like this for a long time but haven't gotten down to it yet; my target is Mercury because it's closer, being a 3-4 month trip rather than 6-7 months.

I would do it like this: shut the computer down at the end of the day like I always do, and even close orbiter when I am not using it. When I want to check up on my ship (will be a Shuttle-A named "ALICE"), I go into Orbiter, bring up the scenario editor, click "Date" and then click "Now" to update. I can always conduct plenty of LEO missions in a DG-IV while ALICE makes her way to Mercury, and even run a few lunar hops in a separate Shuttle-A known as BETTY.

My biggest fear is being at school or in bed or something when a major course correction comes due.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Cool, must be an amazing feeling.
As we are shortly after Mars opposition, I think I'll do a Mars For Less/Mars Direct flight in RT now. (Under the assumption that the ERV has already landed on Mars)

Last edited:

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
My biggest fear is being at school or in bed or something when a major course correction comes due.

That's when mission planning becomes important. :cheers: