Programming Question Defining type "int" in C++ file

Columbia42

Reaction score
I am trying to compile some code (it's not mine, I just made some minor changes) but even when I delete my changes I get errors that say "Missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int" (The build log is here: http://pastebin.com/mP305F0T) The problem is, when I specify the section as type "int" it says "type int unexpected" and won't build the project. I'm using VC++ 2008 and the code I am trying to compile is Igel's V2 source code. ([ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2647"]V2 by igel[/ame])

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That error comes when you forget a type specification.

Columbia42

Reaction score
Well I'm not the one who wrote the code and since Igel's V2 addon works, perhaps a previous version of the source code was included with it. Also, when I define the type int like the build log said to do, it says "type int unexpected."

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I just downloaded this add-on to check that.

You mean these 2 lines?:
PHP:
const TIME_VERT = 4;		// vertical takeoff, sec
const RANGE_LOSS_IDEAL = 6100;   // %%% f(range)? calibrate on EQU!    // empirical range loss on air drag

When I changed them to "const int", the code compiled fine for me without any error or warning:
PHP:
const int TIME_VERT = 4;		// vertical takeoff, sec
const int RANGE_LOSS_IDEAL = 6100;   // %%% f(range)? calibrate on EQU!    // empirical range loss on air drag

I haven't tested it in Orbiter, though.

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I followed the first complaint of the compiler, and had a look at line 15 of the file V2i.h.

Code:
const VECTOR3 OFS           = {0, 0, 0}; // universal mesh offset 
const TIME_VERT = 4;        // vertical takeoff, sec 
const RANGE_LOSS_IDEAL = 6100;   // %%% f(range)? calibrate on EQU!    // empirical range loss on air drag
I'd fix it this way:
Code:
const VECTOR3 OFS           = {0, 0, 0}; // universal mesh offset 
const int TIME_VERT = 4;        // vertical takeoff, sec 
const int RANGE_LOSS_IDEAL = 6100;   // %%% f(range)? calibrate on EQU!     // empirical range loss on air drag
Apparently, igel's compiler accepted the first form, but your (probably newer) compiler doesn't. I don't know if you have experience in C-like languages (C, C++, Java), but I think you can fix the same errors by applying the same change to the other lines.

The last error is different. I think it can be fixed by substituting line 1656 of v2i.cpp with this:
Code:
    srand((unsigned int)time(NULL));

Columbia42

Reaction score
I just downloaded this add-on to check that.

You mean these 2 lines?:
PHP:
const TIME_VERT = 4;        // vertical takeoff, sec

When I changed them to "const int", the code compiled fine for me without any error or warning:
PHP:
const int TIME_VERT = 4;        // vertical takeoff, sec
const int RANGE_LOSS_IDEAL = 6100;   // %%% f(range)? calibrate on EQU!    // empirical range loss on air drag

I haven't tested it in Orbiter, though.

That also worked for me in the header file however it doesn't work in the .cpp file.

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

For some reason it works for me now. I think because I needed to fix the header file first (previously I had tried to fix the .cpp file first.)

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

Just tried the module in Orbiter with the modified code. Orbiter crashed as soon as I applied thrust.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Just tried the module in Orbiter with the modified code. Orbiter crashed as soon as I applied thrust.

Run the Orbiter from within VC++ with the module compiled in debug mode. Debugger will stop on the line where the exception is occurring, and you can check what is causing it, and eventually fix it.