Delta-Clipper Add-on...?

RocketMan_Len

Reaction score
I've looked in OrbitHangar and other sites, but haven't found an add-on for a Delta-Clipper type of SSTO vehicle.

I was thinking about doing some playing with a Flyback-F1/DC-Y combination (the DC-Y was supposed to be the orbit-capable version... the DC-X was the test vehicle...)

Just a thought... :)

RocketMan_Len

Reaction score
After all... since there are so many arguments going around about whether or not a spacecraft should have wings, it seems a reasonable compromise for an RLV.

A booster stage that flies back to base to be refurbished, while the upper stage goes to orbit. The capsule-shaped orbiter reenters, brakes with rocket thrust to land on a pad.

(Get more payload that way, too... :p)

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
I would not have thought of a Flyback F-1 / DC-Y stack, but the masses work out pretty well. Interesting thought.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not a Delta Clipper, rather something lighter, but it has enough delta-V to make orbit off an F1:

picture.php

Unfortunately, the payload is so light the F1 far exceeds any notion of a safe reentry, and has to land at Wallops Island since the Cape is so far behind.

RocketMan_Len

Reaction score
I would not have thought of a Flyback F-1 / DC-Y stack, but the masses work out pretty well. Interesting thought.

I thought so... :lol:

One thing I'm not so sure about... and something I don't know enough about to calculate - when would the rockets have to fire, once back into the atmosphere, to slow it down enough for landing...? That affects fuel loading, which affects payload...

thegrogen

Reaction score
I've been planning to do a DC-X addon at some point. Possibly even a DC-Y, that looked like an interesting vehicle. Maybe when I'm finished with my Athena III. :p

RocketMan_Len

Reaction score
Hi all. Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but this is an earlier DC-X add-on by John Hodgekiss (I think that is his correct name). It's down toward the bottom of the page.

Not *exactly* what I was looking for - I had the final, payload-and-crew-carrying version in mind. It's a good place to start, though... :)

Starshipexplorer

Reaction score
Quick update. There is a .dll version of jhdgkss' Dc-X, DC_X_beta1.zip. Not sure where it's located. Much better flight characteristics. It's mesh is practically the same, except no landing struts. If you are interested, I could send it to you.

J_Aerospace

Reaction score
Hi there i am john hodgkiss that version of the dc-x i rather old now but is great to have a go at manovering around just useing the hover engines. I still keep coming back to this project and iam looking at building an orbital version, just a little busy at the moment with work, but i am going to enter such a vehical in the new addon contest

RocketMan_Len

Reaction score
Hey, John-

How about a sub-orbital version as well...? One with a larger payload-bay, trade off fuel mass for cargo mass, and use a flyback booster to get it to orbit.

Just a thought... :thumbup: