C++ Question Dev C++ for orbiter

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
can we use the Bloodshed DevC++ instead of VC? I had installed VC2005E but it doesn't work on vista, and then I tried to install the 2008 version which can't install, and the patch for the 2005 is too big for my network to download, and also, is the Windows SDK is really necessary? AFAIK it's almost 1GB to download.

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hello. Dev C++ is simply an IDE, and not the compiler itself. It's a front end to the GNU compiler. Orbiter's libraries however are built with the VC++ series compiler, and therefore won't work with the GNU compiler.

You should go a head and install the VC++ 2008 express edition, because it comes with all the necessary libraries required to develop for orbiter. You won't need to install the platform SDK.

Tommy

Reaction score
No, DevC++ will not work with Orbiter. DevC++ uses the GNU compiler (MinGW) which can't compile .dll's for Orbiter. You need to use MS's compiler. I believe it was possible to use Crimson Editor with the 2003 version of the MS compiler, but that won't work with UMMU (needs 2005 or higher).

Why won't the 2008 version of VS install?

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
I already tried to install the 2008 version but when it install, it stalls half way because it can't download the necessary files, I'm now seeking a full download version of it.

cinder1992

Random failhurricane.
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
cinder1992.blogspot.com
I got codeblocks to compile an orbiter .DLL fine useing minGW. I dont see the problem.

The only diffrence between VisualC and Codeblocks is IDK. Ive never used VisualC in my life.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I got codeblocks to compile an orbiter .DLL fine useing minGW. I dont see the problem.
If you managed to compile an Orbiter add-on dll with Mingw compiler, please tell us how you did it, and which versions was used. Many will appreciate that.

Matt Decker

Reaction score
The full version of Visual Studio is available at http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/#webInstall. It's at the very bottom of the page. You can download it and burn it to a cd, or use DAEMON tools to read it like a cd.

It does take a long time to install. It's best to start it up and go to bed or something and not watch it. As it will appear to hang, but it will eventually finish.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Make sure you get the SDK too.

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
Okay, this is getting really weird, even with the offline installer, I still can't install the VC2008, anybody have experienced this before? I'm considering of reinstalling my windows just to get it running.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score

The only diffrence between VisualC and Codeblocks is IDK. Ive never used VisualC in my life.
You may have got it to compile, but did you get it to work? You may have been able to get Orbiter to call your callback functions since they use C calling convention but you would not be able to use the oapiXXX functions without some effort (using their mangled names). If you managed to export (and use) a class derived from an Orbiter base class (VESSEL2, MFD, etc), I would also be most interested to know how you did that.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Okay, this is getting really weird, even with the offline installer, I still can't install the VC2008, anybody have experienced this before? I'm considering of reinstalling my windows just to get it running.
What problems are you having?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I don't know, it just stop installing right in the middle, it happens both with the web installer and the offline installer.
By "stops installing" do you mean "fails the install" or "just stops going anywhere"? If it just stops going anywhere without actually failing, how long have you waited for it?

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
it fails, it doesn't hang, it just fails and fast forwarded to the final window and said, windows installer failed to install the VC2008, just like that, on both versions.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
it fails, it doesn't hang, it just fails and fast forwarded to the final window and said, windows installer failed to install the VC2008, just like that, on both versions.
Follow the link that blaxland gave, and see if that helps you, then.

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
doesn't help at all, I'm using vista, and when I'm going to the folder specified, the /local setting/temp the folder doesn't exist, and couldn't find it manually either, oh well, let's try uninstalling things or reinstalling Vista.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
doesn't help at all, I'm using vista, and when I'm going to the folder specified, the /local setting/temp the folder doesn't exist, and couldn't find it manually either, oh well, let's try uninstalling things or reinstalling Vista.
On Vista, that temp folder will be in:
C:\Users\[your-windows-user-name]\AppData\Local\Temp