Gaming Digital Combat Simulator Thread

JSwift

Reaction score
I should be able to join. I didn't get any of the new toys yet so maybe more seat time in the Ka50 for me. I think this map has 1 or 2?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yup, all aircraft have severall units for players.

When will the server open? Just planning doing a little test drive over villages and the local mountain range with the new car, don't want to miss the session this weekend :)

Richy

VTOL craft Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.richmans-maps.ch.vu
Sorry for beeing a bit late. Had a friend at my place.

Server is now open:
Richy's Pirate Flight School
Password: abc

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Ok, looks like I missed an update on friday... updating and checking the joystick configuration, will be back online soon

JSwift

Reaction score
Richy's Pirate Server

Thanks Richy - that was fun today.

Urwumpe stretching the Sabre's legs.
picture.php

Keeping an eye and a few missiles on the contacts.
picture.php

Multiple assets on target area = game over WP2.
picture.php

On closer inspection, that UFO looks a lot like Richy.
picture.php

Let there be light.
picture.php

The A10s return from the coast.
picture.php

Welcome home.
picture.php

E

ex-orbinaut

Got back too late to join up. There was something I wanted to try out to see if it worked on MP, I think you might have liked to see the results of it, if it worked.

But I did get my sixth flight in the F-86 last night. With some remorse, it was the first one that did not end in a passable landing. I decided to take the bull by the horns and have my first air to air engagement versus the classical rival; an expert Mig 15. What ensued was probably the most exciting few minutes of sim flying I have ever had. Some great combat snaps from the replay afterwards, like the images I used to draw in the comic strips I made for my own and all of art class' entertainment in school.

There is an old, eternal argument about which was the better fighter of these two; zoom climbs, usage as an energy fighter, slow rate of fire cannon versus six concentrated point fives, etcetera. From some old reading, I recall the comments of pilots regarding the predictor sight; some of the old WWII veterans who flew in Korea complaining that a piece of chewing gum stuck to the windscreen would have made a better sight. All so well reproduced in the sim, I made the mistake of slouching the seat down and hence the sight spent most of its time off the reflector plate! I sympathize with the vets' comments, for now, though I am probably using the sight incorrectly as yet.

Nonetheless, with apologies to the Mig-15 fans, I am of the "F-86 brigade", and from the beginning of the engagement, when I first spotted the foe moving in on my six, I perceived it was pretty obvious that the F-86 was indeed superior as a fighter. Great, WWII style dogfighting in fast jets. I was invariably able to extricate myself from tight situations and turn the tables by taking the F-86 into the vertical plane during the five minute fight, and eventually got a solid hit into the flank of the opponent. Unfortunately, however, we touched each other at that point (yep, I did an Urwumpe!).

The Mig was already a goner, and I suddenly had a plateful of problems at hand. The emergency procedures state; if on fire, EJECT! No way, I am not wasting my favorite aircraft if I can help it. Luckily, I was near Kobuleti, so; engine shut down, check battery and alternate flight controls on. The gear seemed to be damaged, and missing part of the wing and an aileron made it very difficult to fly, but I managed a sort of landing.

Some dural sheet and the rivet gun and it will be as good as new! Tough old bird.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What about a session this saturday around 1700 UTC?

Possible that I might not be back until then... but I could join one hour later, if that is no problem...

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Oh, and don't forget to change the daytime. Low-level flying with the Frogfoot got a bit dangerous last time.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Oh, and don't forget to change the daytime. Low-level flying with the Frogfoot got a bit dangerous last time.

Or flying anything other than straight and level with the F-86 :lol:

Richy

VTOL craft Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.richmans-maps.ch.vu
C'mon! For some reason you got instrument lights! ;-)

No, I changed the daytime to 9 o'clock in the morning.

E

ex-orbinaut

Might just make it today, I don't know, as I do have to be out by 19:30 UTC; there is a second test flight in the Mig-21 pending. And if I can get a screenie of a "live" player F-86 pair in echelon for my desktop background; most appreciated. It is about time I changed it from the ISS/DG/Earth one I have had for at least a couple of years now. :)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Ok, that landing was a bit hard....

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Will join in a couple of minutes! I'm back in the Ka-50 after four years, it's going to be fun.

---------- Post added at 22:20 ---------- Previous post was at 19:46 ----------

And here some screenshots of today's session:
ox8hgKu.jpg

1xNKVKU.jpg

hbtTgAS.jpg

Me after having underestimated SAM threat:
TQeurk5.jpg

Turns out, it helps to know how the counter-measures dispenser works.

q5GbyzU.jpg

BwRVHHv.jpg

2d5i2kf.jpg

kJqPbIM.jpg

iGIuXHo.jpg

2NxctJO.jpg

Nick (IIRC):
ohObpYa.jpg

Thanks again to Richy for helping me re-learn a bit the old Shark: :cheers:
Sv5nvcY.jpg

hdFtWew.jpg

pn9qsqV.jpg

Comparing the Shark to the Hip, it is much more stable in hover, but somewhat twitchier during cruise. Hip is surprisingly agile, despite looking like a pregnant hippo.

E

ex-orbinaut

Thanks Richy, great fun was had.

The Mig 21 FPS seemed to be very bad near ground detail, low down, making it practically impossible to land. Something MP with it, as I remember it being much better on SP.

Managed to get a little Shadowplay footage, not much. But I did get Urwumpe doing a sand-speeder impression with the F-86. Don't know how you did that. :) I'll post it sometime.