Gaming Digital Combat Simulator Thread

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
So, the mission for this evening has been set up, it'll mostly be a free-flight in order to test stuff and get a bit back in the groove :) :
  • One boom tanker
  • One probe and drogue tanker
  • Carrier group with Stennis and Tarawa
  • Some very lightly defended trucks as ground target

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Ah well, shoot. Guess I'll have to sit this one.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Don't worry, it's possible to change from the release to the beta branch (and the reverse) without having to reinstall everything:

Find the bin folder in yout main DCS folder, and run the following command:
Code:
dcs_updater.exe update @openbeta

In order to switch back to the release branch the corresponding command would be:
Code:
dcs_updater.exe update @release

---------- Post added at 20:56 ---------- Previous post was at 20:06 ----------

The server will be online a 21:00 CET (15:00 EST)
Code:
Name: Orbiter-Forum
Password: orbiter

Code:
Teamspeak server: fabri91.ddns.net

Currently some problems with the integrated voice functionality.

---------- Post added 29-03-20 at 11:38 ---------- Previous post was 28-03-20 at 21:56 ----------

A couple of screenshot highlights:
T0vyZNw.jpg

DjXYGss.jpg

JBtPcKp.jpg

7SlWkJt.jpg

uEN3n0p.jpg

aSF9SCG.jpg

gHNCKNE.jpg

Y9Bl8yC.jpg

EqOtIvx.jpg

mp0Mo9z.jpg

Also, another reminder that the AV-8B is free to try for today.

Last edited:

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
First time in MP for me, great fun!
Thanks Fabri91 for setting up a nice mission :thumbup:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Just a heads up, this evening I'll open up a server again (starting from 20-21 CET), also with SRS if I manage to get it going. :)

Also, don't forget that today it's the 1st of April:

---------- Post added at 19:58 ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 ----------

Server is up for the evening:
Code:
Server name: Orbiter-forum

Simple radio: fabri91.ddns.net

If names fail, it's possible to connect both DCS and SR via IP: 87.14.119.45

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Free for all month

in view of last months response, we are pleased to announce our upcoming Free For All event, starting April 19th, where you are welcome to try any and all our products (except campaigns) for free and without limitation for one month. This unlimited access to all our suite of products, including our top fighter jets, such as the F-16C, F/A-18C and A-10C Warthog will help take your mind off things for a while, giving you the opportunity to try something new, and to own it for 50% or less than the normal price.*

*Exclusions and comments:

All campaigns, F-14B and AJS-37 Viggen will not take part. JF-17 Thunder will have a 15.00 USD discount.

Try! Try all the things!

I missed the opportunity to try the Spitfire and Bf109, so I'm stoked.

Last edited:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Whoever thought putting a landing gear with a track narrower than the one of a shopping cart on the Spitfire was a good idea? :facepalm:

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I have yet to know what this DCS is can someone tell me?

It's a physic/world/simulation/"game" engine to simulate virtual combats.
Mostly for aircrafts, some of them in a very deep level of details so that it is near realistc for those aircrafts.
It's almost a flight simulator for military aircrafts and helicopters, but there is also a module for command and control ground units, called "Combined Arms".

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Also, there is now an extension to simulate aircraft carrier operations in detail, but again: Mostly aircraft oriented, so you can actually do something pretty with your F-14 or F-18 in a naval campaign, while the default state of DCS only allowed a minimalistic experience there.

I especially expect a lot there for Multiplayer servers.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
It's a physic/world/simulation/"game" engine to simulate virtual combats.
Mostly for aircrafts, some of them in a very deep level of details so that it is near realistc for those aircrafts.
It's almost a flight simulator for military aircrafts and helicopters, but there is also a module for command and control ground units, called "Combined Arms".

As far as realism goes according to some former military pilots using it DCS is actually pretty close to real life stuff.

Check out this guy's videos on youtube
https://topgun2speaker.com/

He is a former naval aviator (fighter pilot) who flew for both the US and the french Navy and he stated DCS is 85% realistic, the 15% missing being the lack of g effects on your body which of course you can't replicate in a PC game/sim. On the other hand the lack of phisical acceleration and depth of field perception (unless you use VR) make some tasks more difficult in DCS than in RL.

To this extent IMO we can definetly call DCS a simulator rather than a game

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
As far as realism goes according to some former military pilots using it DCS is actually pretty close to real life stuff.

Check out this guy's videos on youtube
https://topgun2speaker.com/

He is a former naval aviator (fighter pilot) who flew for both the US and the french Navy and he stated DCS is 85% realistic, the 15% missing being the lack of g effects on your body which of course you can't replicate in a PC game/sim. On the other hand the lack of phisical acceleration and depth of field perception (unless you use VR) make some tasks more difficult in DCS than in RL.
To this extent IMO we can definetly call DCS a simulator rather than a game

Yes I agree that for the realistic parts it's more a simulation than a game, but for e.g. Combined Arms it's more a game, so it's a mix.
I also heared that some features are modifed if they are classified, so maybe 5% are missed because they are classified but nobody knows.
I also heared that there is also a real simulation part similar to DCS, so for example, it was possible to use the AGM-65E (which is the laser guided maverick) with the A-10C using a mod, but deactivated for the "commercial simulation". But somehow they got it back by this mod in the commecial simulation, and later ED closed the possiblity of this mod, but I'm not sure if this is true...

Last edited:

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yes I agree that for the realistic parts it's more a simulation than a game, but for e.g. Combined Arms it's more a game, so it's a mix.
I also heared that some features are modifed if they are classified, so maybe 5% are missed because they are classified but nobody knows.
I also heared that there is also a real simulation part similar to DCS, so for example, it was possible to use the AGM-65E (which is the laser guided maverick) with the A-10C using a mod, but deactivated for the "commercial simulation". But somehow they got it back by this mod in the commecial simulation, and later ED closed the possiblity of this mod, but I'm not sure if this is true...
DCS: A-10C AGM-65E Tutorial 1.2.3 (HD) - YouTube

Not sure what you mean by a mod that allowed the AGM-65 E Maverick as you can employ this weapon with no problems with the F-18 C for example. Maybe you refer to classified data related to this weapon use that are not currently implemented in DCS but this mod enables?

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by a mod that allowed the AGM-65 E Maverick as you can employ this weapon with no problems with the F-18 C for example. Maybe you refer to classified data related to this weapon use that are not currently implemented in DCS but this mod enables?
I mean that some parts are still classified, and I read that the employment of the AGM-E was also classified in 2013 when the video was posted, maybe it changed because the F/A-18 has been declassified, but some systems are still classifed, even for the A-10C and so they have been simplified them or removed them from the customer version called "DCS". I heard that the possibility to reenable the AGM-65E by a mod was a leack but I have no official source for this.

https://www.quora.com/How-realistic-is-the-flight-simulation-DCS-A-10C-Warthog said:
The source code that was written for DTS was scrubbed of classified information in cooperation with the ANG and used as the foundation for the consumer sim DCS: A-10C Warthog. The AN/ALQ-184 ECM controls have been simplified somewhat and not all the controls of the Countermeasures Dispensing System (CMDS) were implemented. I can imagine the RWR was also simplified somewhat, though fortunately they let us keep the Missile Warning System! HAVE QUICK and the KY-58 were rendered inoperative in the consumer sim, though there are third-party mods that restore the KY-58 to operative status.

See also here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=95732

But yes the simulation comes very close to the real aircraft, I'm sure there is nothing more accurate in the commercial market for the A-10C.

Last edited:

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
So this free mod was released yesterday:

VARS Edge 540

kj6fqojywo351.png

I've been playing around with it for a few hours. Very fun little plane. Extremely well done for a free module. Still haven't managed to make it through one of the pylon courses without clipping yet but getting there.

If enough people are interested, maybe we could have an OF race day at some point.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'd like to see those flying on Orbiter.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'd like to see those flying on Orbiter.

Well, you can make meshes, but I don't think I can code it. Unless it is related to KSC operations or the Space Shuttle, I would prefer doing something else. :shrug: