Gaming Digital Combat Simulator Thread

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Did a couple of flights with Wolf this evening.

Before the launch:
attachment.php

After the (ill-timed) launch:
attachment.php

I forgot to announce this session, but will do next time and of course everybody's welcome to join!

As a reminder: for the weekend both the F-14 Tomcat and the AJS-37 Viggen of Heatblur Simulations will be free to try.

Attachments

• Screen_200619_225008.jpg
    Screen_200619_225008.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 197
  • Screen_200619_225134.jpg
    Screen_200619_225134.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks Fabri91 for hosting the mission. Great fun as usual. Man that tandem cat launch was a thrill :rofl:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
DCS World doing a 3GB download on Steam.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Missed this interview from last year with the extradited programmer:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yeah. Already thought about getting the Carrier module today, but my available SSD tells me nyet. I can't really fly anyway, all flight hardware is still in the city.

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
For you OB folks, about how often does that update? I want to switch to it so I can multi (AI 2 isn't very...I) but I'm a bit afraid to because my internet sucks. Anything more than a few MB generally needs to be downloaded overnight.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
DCS looks amazing. I haven't done any real sim flying since the 2000s and I'm not even sure where I would start. I gather dabbling in DCS with a low-end laptop isn't happening :LOL:

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
So it appears DCS is part of the summer sale, considering picking up the Viper. Anyone have any experience with it? Seems like it would be as fun to fly as the Hornet, but without the murderdeathkill landing system.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
So it appears DCS is part of the summer sale, considering picking up the Viper. Anyone have any experience with it? Seems like it would be as fun to fly as the Hornet, but without the murderdeathkill landing system.

I have both the Viper and the Hornet and use both regularly - what questions to you have?

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
For you OB folks, about how often does that update? I want to switch to it so I can multi (AI 2 isn't very...I) but I'm a bit afraid to because my internet sucks. Anything more than a few MB generally needs to be downloaded overnight.
About once every two weeks at most, and generally the updates aren't huge. They tend to be large if there's a signifcant update of a map you own.

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I have both the Viper and the Hornet and use both regularly - what questions to you have?
Only real question I have is how different from the Hornet is it? To be specific is it different enough to justify a separate purchase and is it different enough that I'm going to end up back at square one learning the systems. I'm kind of hoping its somewhere in the middle ground there. I love flying the Hornet, landing it on the other hand...

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
So, as you know both planes end up filling broadly similar roles, both IRL and in DCS, where they are good jacks of all trades.

In general, from a purely flying point of view, it is "faster" in that it's a rate fighter, i.e. its forte is keeping a relatively high speed and max the sustained turn rate, while the Hornet has better nose-pointing ability and prefers to fight at slower speeds.

From a systems point of view, many concepts translate, even though switches may have different names (what the sensor switch does in the Hornet is mostly done with the DMS on the Viper, but things do not translate 1 to 1 even though the basic concepts are the same).

The Viper also has fewer hardpoints and so often forces the player to choose a good loadout, I think, and there's no internal jammer, while I think that the HOTAS logic in the Viper enables you to do more without having to use the mouse.

Finally, flying the Viper, especially low-level and with a head-tracking device is exhilarating since there's no canopy bow. A small thing, but you'll see what I mean.

Also, landing it is very different - can't plonk it onto the runway at -500 FPM:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I hope some of the announced modules are done when I finally have the time for building a stationary machine for it. I am looking for some new aircraft to specialize on after the A-10C, but I don't really like the available options. At least not so much that I say "I want to do this." The A-10C is still the most fun fixed-wing aircraft for me from a gaming perspective, especially when combined with combined arms. It should not be a helicopter, because I am clearly no helicopter guy. I can learn to not crash directly with them, but I am too busy with staying in the air for really having fun.

A F-18 might be more fun with other players on the same carrier and with somebody keeping on overview of task force and air ops. But its not the aircraft, that catches my attention. Its a true workhorse, not more, not less. The F-14 is more exciting, but belongs into a museum. Or a 1980s scenario.

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Did you ever upgrade to the Tank Killer? I was initially hesitant but after using the helmet display on the F-18 decided to give it a try. Loving it. (I play in VR, so that might make something of a difference as visual spotting is a bit trickier)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Did you ever upgrade to the Tank Killer? I was initially hesitant but after using the helmet display on the F-18 decided to give it a try. Loving it. (I play in VR, so that might make something of a difference as visual spotting is a bit trickier)

I didn't play since the pandemic began. Which sounds terribly long. So, assume I didn't. :D

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
I hope some of the announced modules are done when I finally have the time for building a stationary machine for it. I am looking for some new aircraft to specialize on after the A-10C, but I don't really like the available options. At least not so much that I say "I want to do this." The A-10C is still the most fun fixed-wing aircraft for me from a gaming perspective, especially when combined with combined arms. It should not be a helicopter, because I am clearly no helicopter guy. I can learn to not crash directly with them, but I am too busy with staying in the air for really having fun.

A F-18 might be more fun with other players on the same carrier and with somebody keeping on overview of task force and air ops. But its not the aircraft, that catches my attention. Its a true workhorse, not more, not less. The F-14 is more exciting, but belongs into a museum. Or a 1980s scenario.
I'll just go ahead and suggest the Harrier:
  • Can fly from normal airfields, as well as improvised bases that can be mocked up in the mission editor
  • Can fly from ships, and since it can somewhat takeoff vertically silly scenarios can be made up
Or, as an alternative, the Mirage 2000C: less advanced than Hornet and Viper, but "less old" than the Tomcat, and an absolute joy to fly.

Now there's a sale going on, but even without it I think that the possibility was introduced to test any module for a limited amount of time?