Do you ever think of your car as a spacecraft?

statisticsnerd

Reaction score
The air conditioner is the environmental control system, rack and pinion + wheels is the gimbal, power steering pump is the gimbal motor, the steering wheel itself is the hand controller, the radio is the communication system, the GPS is the guidance and navigation system, fuel gauge shows the propellant quantity remaining, etc.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
The problem I see with this is that you must absolutely avoid to... dock with the other spacecrafts around!

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Shuttlecraft. Including space traffic control and "docking" (parking) with the starship that is my house... yes, I am indeed an adult.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The problem I see with this is that you must absolutely avoid to... dock with the other spacecrafts around!

Sometimes it's necessary when the other ship has no fuel, and needs some dv.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The air conditioner is the environmental control system, rack and pinion + wheels is the gimbal, power steering pump is the gimbal motor, the steering wheel itself is the hand controller, the radio is the communication system, the GPS is the guidance and navigation system, fuel gauge shows the propellant quantity remaining, etc.

Thats what I thought when I first saw the R&D effort put into the air conditioning of a car. As driver, you don't think much about it, but its really a lot of work in digital and physical! simulations to make sure that your windows are quickly free of ice just by blowing warm air at them and your feet not freezing too long. Or you not getting disturbed by the noise of the air conditioning. Even at full power, you don't hear it much in a modern car.

Phil Smith

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Surely I do!))
Especially during the cold season wearing huge puffy winter jacket, gloves, etc - just like a spacesuit))):lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Surely I do!))
Especially during the cold season wearing huge puffy winter jacket, gloves, etc - just like a spacesuit))):lol:

I work drive in a shirt-sleeve environment. :lol:

(But some eastern European truck drivers should really consider at LEAST wearing a shirt. Please.)

Last edited:

Phil Smith

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I work drive in a shirt-sleeve environment. :lol:

(But some eastern European truck drivers should really consider at LEAST wearing a shirt. Please.)

..So true..:::lol:

clipper

Reaction score
As someone who lived for a while in Eastern Europe, I learned that many roads there are like battlefields, therefore It's logical to assume that shirtless truck drivers are a form of highway gunboat diplomacy.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Let's hope they're only shirtless.:sick:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Let's hope they're only shirtless.:sick:

Is that now the right time to explain you, that in Germany, its perfectly legal to be nude inside your car? You are just causing an infraction, when you leave it nude...

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I did not know that.:leaving:

steph

Reaction score
There are similarities, yes. But then again, a spaceship doesn't nag you every few minutes that the windscreen cleaner is running low, or that the left reverse light is out (linear rcs? :)) ), even while I'm doing 110 kph on the expressway and have no intention of using reverse. Not sure if the constant reminders are a bug or a way to get me to do something about it.

The newer cars are truly like spaceships though. Had the new Vw Polo as a replacement car for a few days( at least I think it was the Polo, might have been the Lupo or some other tiny one), and while it didn't have full lane assist, you could actually set the distance at which it follows the car ahead, without disabling the cruise control. Really useful on highways, since there's a special breed of drivers which overtake so slowly that you could make a timelapse out of it, and sometimes you run into trucks ahead in your lane and you have to brake, which deactivates the cruise. Also useful if the car ahead isn't driving at constant speed.

I still don't get by what principle the compressor turns on and off. Windshield de-frost sounds like a leafblower and uses bleed air, since it takes a while to get hot and it actually fogs up the windshield if I turn it on too soon. Normal heating, though, seems to be a combination between using the air con for heating and using engine heat. I can hear the compressor working, so it's engaged even for heating, but not always. Apparently it isn(t directly related to the heat setting.

Can't help but notice how, on the Opel Vectra, the temperature setting on the air con has no relation whatsoever to the outside temp sensor. Lower than 20 C and it blows cold air, even if it's colder than that inside and outside temp is close to freezing. Set it to 24 degrees while it's summer and it's 32 degrees outside, it's still going to blow warm air.

Edit: Well, the truckers.....Since they still have to drive trucks eligible for european highways, you only get to see the driver (half) naked. In eastern europe, it's the same shirt-less dude, but in a truck that has his name in full led lights on the front and in general more lights than a crhistmas tree. which is sort of fine, since the normal headlights and stop may or may not work.

Last edited:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I have an old Honda Civic and I am curious to see how many miles I can squeeze out of it, and keep thinking of where the car would be if it were on a free-return trajectory from the Earth to the Moon and back.

Currently 347,000 miles; only 130,000 miles or so to entry interface.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Not usually, but i do notice myself going through a go/no go sequence before long trips. :/