• Total voters

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
I'm curious how do people treat their national anthems. Please answer the poll's question and elaborate, if you want to. If you are not sure which country is yours, consider either your native land, or where you spend most of your life time.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Of course, as German, it is simple to remember the national anthem. Just resist the desire to sing "Brüh" instead of "Blüh"...

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, I do know because here in Brazil, a lot of elementary schools make their students stand in line and sing it. This is a 'leftover' from the millitary dictatorship which happened ~40 years ago.

Some old habits are hard to weed out...

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
Know it but don't sing it.

Also, I bet everyone in Spain knows their national anthem

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
A nice addition would be: "Do you know what your nation's flag means?
For us Greeks, the cross on the upper left corner means our religion (Christian Orthodox) and the 9 stripes (blue-white) are from the 9 syllables of the Greek moto during the revolution against the Turks... "E-lef-the-ri-a-i-tha-na-tos" (Freedom or death)
As for the colors... i think you can guess!

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
For us Greeks, the cross on the upper left corner means our religion (Christian Orthodox) and the 9 stripes (blue-white) are from the 9 syllables of the Greek moto during the revolution against the Turks... "E-lef-the-ri-a-i-tha-na-tos" (Freedom or death)
As for the colors... i think you can guess!
Brazil's three colors (yellow, green and blue) are said to represent our rich, green lands under a blue sky. They're actually the colors of the three most influential families when the flag was conceived :dry:.

Also, in the middle there is a white band dividing the blue circle in two written "Ordem e Progresso" (Order and Progress) in it. It's also a leftover of the millitary dictatorship.

Even thou', I think Brazil's flag is beautiful. At least until you start thinking about it...

Pablo49

Reaction score
I know it, normally sing it when called for. I also know how to play it, from my marching band days. :p I do know Canada's too, and I used to know Germany's, but I can't remember all of it.

alrik

Alrik
Reaction score
Our anthem is just instrumental. No way to sing any other than whistle xD

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
I know it, I just don't do that "pledge to the flag" stuff in School because I feel weird pledging allegiance to a country I wasn't even born in.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Raised in US military family. Not optional to know the US national Anthem for me.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I know mine/ours. I sing along soft because I can't sing (if you know what I mean). I can play it as well, and can play a few others (Canada, Mexico, Spain, England, Germany and Russian) on the violin. Many nations have very melodic anthems.
I do wish more people would show respect during the playing of them though. Really, does it cause anyone any physical pain to shut the f up for 2 minutes or so?

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I know the national anthem of the US by heart, and on a good day that of Canada as well (English only). I can only sing the Canadian, as my vocal range is not wide enough for the Star Spangled Banner (o'er the land of the-uh free-hee -> o'er the land of the-uh free-hgurk). If you take out the high notes, I can sing it though... At times I've had the other three verses of the US anthem memorized as well.

Unstung

Reaction score
I used to mumble this pledge every day. I've stopped a year or two ago and forgot most of it, it's pointless. (Especially with the addition of "under God") As for the anthem, about the same thing, though I never hear it.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

For Germany, it is the colors of the nationalist democratic uprising in the 19th century, adopted from the uniform colors of the Lützow Free Corps. Nobody really knows why the uniform had such colors, but the military unit had two important features:

- It was made of people from whole Germany.
- It was made mostly of intellectuals and artists.

The black color of the uniform came from the fact that all free corps got no wages, they had to dye civilian clothes into a uniform color. Almost all free corps had black uniforms, even the bigger ones. It was also considered a color of mourning about the occupation of Germany by France.

Red was chosen for displaying rank insignias, the golden came from bronze buttons on the uniforms.

because of their origin, this unit dominated on one of the first democratic conventions in Germany.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I liked the Russian anthem played in the closing ceremonies of the Winter Olympics, but it was really long! :)

Pablo49

Reaction score
I liked the Russian anthem played in the closing ceremonies of the Winter Olympics, but it was really long! :)
I saw that too. Definitely a cool sounding Anthem.

Turbinator

Reaction score
There is nothing easier to remember than "Oh Canada".

Not only do I know how to sing it, I can play it on the guitar.

Jarvitä

Reaction score
The new anthem of republika Srpska is entirely generic and was probably made just to satisfy the Bosnian court that declared using the Serbian anthem unconstitutional. I recognise the melody, but I had to look up the words.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I know the lyrics and melody, but I sing only when I must, otherwise I only listen (and sing in mind).

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I know it - but the revolutionary version.

Is there an anthem for the Orbiter nation?