General Question Does Earth spin & Orbiter simulate atmospheric flight?

Divergent Droid

Reaction score
I need to do an experiment. I am trying to determine if Orbiter is the right tool to use.

Yes, I am "Fed up with space games that insult your intelligence and violate every law of physics"- Let's see how well Orbiter can do.

1st, I'd need Orbiter's Earth model to spin at 1040 mph at Earths Equator just like in real life.

2nd, I need to be able to land an aircraft on a North South runway say in North America.

3rd, I need modeled into the system, the physics theory of the Heliocentric Model that says the air and everything in it moves along with the Earth.

4th, I need to test: Given the Earth is spinning at 1040 mph and the atmosphere and everything in it is moving along with the Earth, (and yet have clouds butterflies small breezes all float around at different speeds in different directions, just like they teach us), is it really possible to land an aircraft on a North South runway?

That's what the physics we are all taught claims. I aim to test this. Can I do this with Orbiter?

Thank you. DD

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
No butterflies in Orbiter, that I know of.:shrug:

Divergent Droid

Reaction score
LOL Yeah, I get that.. but Can it do all the rest?

They do claim to be good with physics..I just want to know if they have modeled all the physics required to do that.. er.. if they have not.. i don't see how it can be realistic for space flight either considering your at the mercy of Earth's gravitational pull, atmospheric pressure, speeds of rotation leaving earth going 1000 mph and so on. I want to know how much of real physics can Orbiter simulate correctly?

llarian

Reaction score
Now, there's a thought. A butterfly in Orbiter. Some wag would probably want a VC for it.:rofl:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
You might have to add your own perfectly N-S runway, but everything else is a check.

Spoiler alert: If you are a good pilot, then you are going to be able to land on a N-S runway just fine. :cool:

Divergent Droid

Reaction score
You might have to add your own perfectly N-S runway, but everything else is a check.

Spoiler alert: If you are a good pilot, then you are going to be able to land on a N-S runway just fine. :cool:

You claim, everything else is a check. Can you make a video demonstrating each thing I request?

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
You claim, everything else is a check. Can you make a video demonstrating each thing I request?

In Orbiter it is possible to land an aircraft on a north-south strip on Earth even at the equator. This is also true in real life. If you claim otherwise, the burden of proof is on your part, not the rest of the world.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Go to:
Orbiter2016\Doc\Technotes

and read all of the documents there. That should help you decide if Orbiter has what you need.

Thorsten

Reaction score
is it really possible to land an aircraft on a North South runway?

Admittedly I don't get whatever is supposed to be special about a North South runway here. Are you aware that one can land airplanes in crosswinds, but (regardless of the wind direction) generally not in Mega-Hurricane force winds?

Seems kind of a strange question - just go and land your craft and be done with it.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't think there's a runway with a perfect N-S alignement, since there's mostly only real-life runways on earth, and if somebody does a fictional one it's certainly not pointing that way, because it's a space simulator. And polar alignment for a runway sucks for spaceflight purposes.

So you'd have to add that in yourself, but the physics you request are there. There's even local wind disturbances, although they're still somewhat in their infancy.

That being said, why on earth should it not be possible to land on a north-south aligned runway? I can't see any reason why that should not be possible. It doesn't make that much sense (as mentioned, polar alignment is not usually what you're looking for in spaceflight), but the thought that it should not be possible seems rather weird to me...

Sunhillow

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Schiphol aiport has runways 18R/36L and 18L/36R. Of course I don't know if they are exectly aligned in N-S direction, but as already said what would be the problem if they were? Not landing with tail wind is much more important :hmm:

Edit: there are even three runways, 18C/36C between the aforementioned ones

Last edited:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
The bizarre questions presented are related to Flat Earther ideas. I would leave the OP to test out physics for themself.

The fun part of it is, Flat Earthism is unfalsifiable: Given a heliocentric model with the laws of physics in their usual form, you can always apply a coordinate transformation that gives you a stationary, flat earth at the center of the universe. But doing the math for the laws of physics in that model is more trouble than it's worth.

So next time you meet a Flat Earther, admit freely that the Earth is a flat disk at the center of the universe. Then let them in on the secret that the reason scientists have been deceiving people for centuries is that nerds are very lazy, and the math for doing physics with a flat, motionless earth is really, really hard. They discovered that working with the fiction of a round, moving Earth in a heliocentric model made the math a lot easier, and have been teaching that as the way the universe really is ever since so they could work 20 hour weeks. ;-)

Of course, most sane people will equate "the math is simpler in this form" with "this is the way the universe really is"...

---------- Post added at 08:13 ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 ----------

Admittedly I don't get whatever is supposed to be special about a North South runway here. Are you aware that one can land airplanes in crosswinds, but (regardless of the wind direction) generally not in Mega-Hurricane force winds?

And if you're going to make the mistake of thinking that there's such a thing as absolute velocity, why be so unambitious as to just go with the velocity of the Earth's equator around the core? Those winds are a dead calm relative to the screaming 600-odd km/s the Earth is doing relative to the CMB. Why aren't we sent sailing out of the solar system if we step outside at the wrong time of day?

Thorsten

Reaction score
flat earth at the center of the universe

Only if you apply a very special meaning to 'flat' - curvature is an intrinsic property of manifolds that has consequences regardless of the choice of coordinates. That's sort of the point of General Relativity...

paddy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not sure what the issue(s) is here.
Even on a flat calm day, the air is still wizzing round just like the planet. Due to the fact that it is not consistant from the top to the middle of the planet, it is nether proof nor disproof.
I accept that due to the duration of the flight, a point which was directly in front of you when you left the poles, is not "there" when you get "there". How much was wind, rotation and inertia i am not sure.
I would suggest you would get a different answer on a different day!

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It's funny how flat-earthers have become a global phenomenon...

I so wish for Idiocracy to be a false theory, but with every new year my faith is disappearing a bit more.