General Question Does Mars' Atmosphere Look too Thick?

othoudt

Reaction score
I have recently figured out how to get to Mars with a James Cook DSV and when I get there the atmosphere looks thicker than Earth's by far. I just watched an episode of "The Universe" about Mars and in all the orbital views of the planet the entire hemisphere is visable while in Orbiter only the central part of the hemisphere is visable with a thick haze obscuring the outer 1/3 of the planet like a ring.

Also, upon landing Mars' sky is a rich Earthlike nitrogen blue not pink like shown in all the real photos from the surface. I see a value for atmosphere color in the Mars.cfg file but since I'm just a dumb 'ol pilot and not a programer I don't know how to adjust it (the color). Any suggestions?

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I have recently figured out how to get to Mars with a James Cook DSV and when I get there the atmosphere looks thicker than Earth's by far. I just watched an episode of "The Universe" about Mars and in all the orbital views of the planet the entire hemisphere is visable while in Orbiter only the central part of the hemisphere is visable with a thick haze obscuring the outer 1/3 of the planet like a ring.
You mean you want it like this one?:
Mars_atmosphere.jpg

Also, upon landing Mars' sky is a rich Earthlike nitrogen blue not pink like shown in all the real photos from the surface. I see a value for atmosphere color in the Mars.cfg file but since I'm just a dumb 'ol pilot and not a programer I don't know how to adjust it (the color). Any suggestions?
If you looked at "AtmColor0", then instead of it you may want to change "AtmHazeColor" to make that. Colors there are divided to red, green and blue component (in order) and they are represented in decimal (float) form. You can use Windows' Paint to check the used and tweak the color. All you need to do in Paint is edit custom color and use first value from cfg multiplied by 255 for Red value, second * 255 for Green value, and third * 255 for Blue value (all rounded). When you changed the color in Paint to your liking, divide values of Red, Green and Blue component by 255 and paste them in that order to configuration file.

You may also only switch first value with the last one to change from blue tint to red one, like:
This color is for "AtmHazeColor = 0.35 0.35 0.4", which is in Mars.cfg.
This color is for "AtmHazeColor = 0.4 0.35 0.35" after switching values.

Presented colors are visible better on forum skins with dark background.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Are you using [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2379"]Orbiter Atmospheric Visual Enhancement V3[/ame]? It changes the Horizon.dds file to make the Earth more realistic, but all planets use this file, so it make Mars have a blue sky. I don't know if that also causes the thick atmosphere, though.

othoudt

Reaction score
Thank you Orb and you also 2552! Yes I am using the [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2379"]Orbiter Atmospheric Visual Enhancement V3[/ame]
as it makes Earth's atmo look more realistic but I did not know it changed all the other planets too. And thank you orb for telling me how to alter colors.