Question DragonFly CoG issue

Primus

Reaction score
Is anyone aware of a fix for the CoG issue with DragonFly? It is almost impossible to use the RCS while hauling a module.

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Sorry for the necroposting.
I’ve had the same problem, it’s pretty much impossible to use Dragonfly to dock a module to another vessel because of the CoG problem. But, I tried something last week and this week - PursuitMFD. It works wonderfully well with off center maneuvering.
I opened for editing the Station Building scenario with a cube and adding cylinder modules so I have four. Ran the scenario, launching the Shuttle-A from Habana to rendezvous with the Dragonfly. Used the Dragonfly to catch modules one at a time docking them to the shuttle using Pursuit and it worked great. It brought each one in docked keeping orientation spot on, just set Pursuit on DF to Z10 to bring the free dock of the Module nose to nose with the target dock. So my assembly was the cube docked to the Shuttle, the four cylinders to the cube up, down, left, right, then the DF opposite the Shuttle. That way, the shuttle’s Z-axis is balanced. Then I plane-changed, and rendezvous with the ISS using the Shuttle. Dragonfly was able to move each cylinder to dock 5 in series, lastly the cube at the end, finally docking the Shuttle and Dragonfly to the cube.
The hard part was to select which dock on the modules. Used DockMFD with the target selecting each dock in succession and look for the ranging rectangles until I see the dock I want, then selecting that dock in Pursuit.
Pursuit did a great job in all this process, with no issue with the off center thing.
Next run I’ll try the modules connect in series to see if the CoG really out far if it causes Pursuit to hiccup.

Interceptor

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice,when I get my new computer I will try this out
,unfortunately my old computer died last week.

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
:eek: Hate when that happens. Hope your stuff was backed up.

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
:cry:
But, at least it’ll give opportunity for clean install, if not the saved .scns.

DonTee

Reaction score
Sorry for the necroposting.
I’ve had the same problem, it’s pretty much impossible to use Dragonfly to dock a module to another vessel because of the CoG problem. But, I tried something last week and this week - PursuitMFD. It works wonderfully well with off center maneuvering.
I opened for editing the Station Building scenario with a cube and adding cylinder modules so I have four. Ran the scenario, launching the Shuttle-A from Habana to rendezvous with the Dragonfly. Used the Dragonfly to catch modules one at a time docking them to the shuttle using Pursuit and it worked great. It brought each one in docked keeping orientation spot on, just set Pursuit on DF to Z10 to bring the free dock of the Module nose to nose with the target dock. So my assembly was the cube docked to the Shuttle, the four cylinders to the cube up, down, left, right, then the DF opposite the Shuttle. That way, the shuttle’s Z-axis is balanced. Then I plane-changed, and rendezvous with the ISS using the Shuttle. Dragonfly was able to move each cylinder to dock 5 in series, lastly the cube at the end, finally docking the Shuttle and Dragonfly to the cube.
The hard part was to select which dock on the modules. Used DockMFD with the target selecting each dock in succession and look for the ranging rectangles until I see the dock I want, then selecting that dock in Pursuit.
Pursuit did a great job in all this process, with no issue with the off center thing.
Next run I’ll try the modules connect in series to see if the CoG really out far if it causes Pursuit to hiccup.
I'm a recent returnee to Orbitor and have gotten the firefly bug so I'll try this (if I can find it).
What I've been doing with some success is concentrating on altering major velocity directions by pointing at my vel vector and using forward reward thrust only to come back to near zero, or pointing and estimated angle off and again using only fore/aft thrust.
Once on my final run in I'll tap a linear thruster, tap '5' (kill rotation) then while it's still active do my rcs changes. It's working reasonably well, now I'm looking at how to build scenarios so as to have more 'play blocks'.
DonTee