Gaming Dwarf Fortress discussion

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
Anybody know how to get big freshwater lakes during world gen?
The biggest freshwater lake I've seen was 9 region tiles. I think anything bigger just gets picked as an ocean by the worldgen algorithm. I would think if you made the worldgen make choppier valleys separated by mountains you might get something like that.

FYI the elevation map is generated using a plasma fractal: http://www.ic.stonybrook.edu/Stu/jseyster/plasma/

---------- Post added at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 PM ----------

http://bay12games.com/dwarves/df_talk.html
If anyone cares, the most recent DF Talk (interview of Tarn about game development) was posted yesterday.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
No. Did you try playing with the parameters?

Yes, without much luck so far.

---------- Post added 02-16-10 at 18:02 ---------- Previous post was 02-15-10 at 21:55 ----------

Given the possibility in the game of flooding your fortress by accident, this story is rather interesting:

http://www.damninteresting.com/lake-peigneur-the-swirling-vortex-of-doom

An oil drilling crew on a lake accidentally drilled into a salt mine. Imagine their surprise when their whole derrick sinks into a lake that was only supposed to be 10 ft deep...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Robsoie

Reaction score
Never ever settle your expedition very close to a zone that has lot of trees and bushes that is extremely close to a volcano opening if you don't have yet marksdwarves patrolling the volcano hole.

I discovered why after a few fire imp noticing my dwarves busy chopping trees decided to start a forest fire.

The first time i saw one, the forest fire takes the form of a quickly advancing big wall of fire.
I can say that after, there were a very lot of jobs openings in my small dwarf external village (was trying to not settle underground for once) :D

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
Never ever settle your expedition very close to a zone that has lot of trees and bushes that is extremely close to a volcano opening if you don't have yet marksdwarves patrolling the volcano hole.

I discovered why after a few fire imp noticing my dwarves busy chopping trees decided to start a forest fire.

The first time i saw one, the forest fire takes the form of a quickly advancing big wall of fire.
I can say that after, there were a very lot of jobs openings in my small dwarf external village (was trying to not settle underground for once) :D
Walling off the magma vent is a good idea too. Its quite fun to get an Urist McWoodcutter has died from the heat as the first warning a fire imp has surfaced. Moats are faster and cheaper, but imps can throw fireballs over them, but the imps are much less likely to surface.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Reviving an old thread to avoid filling the random comments thread with off-topic topical discussion. o_O

My milker recently entered a strange mood and has begun manically working in the carpentry shop. Who knows what he'll make! :lol:

Time to build a new one. Dwarves need barrels for their beer, after all.

Edit: Tosid Milkerdwarf has created a legendary birchen armour stand. He went insane, took over a shop and built me a coat rack?!

Edit 2: And while I was distracted with that, I didn't notice this miner:
moron.png

SIGH. He's been stuck up there for days. May as well build a staircase and get the poor fool down. :lol:

Last edited:

Roady

Reaction score
This game looks pretty cool! Think I'll give it a go. The graphics reminds me of Ultima IV Quest of the Avatar in my C64 days (Yeah I know I am old)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ultima4.gif
Yep,and there are alot of Tilesets,which change the Way DF looks,and makes the Map a bit more "clearer" to read... :thumbup:

if you all want,i can post you a link to the Tileset i currently use...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yep,and there are alot of Tilesets,which change the Way DF looks,and makes the Map a bit more "clearer" to read... :thumbup:

if you all want,i can post you a link to the Tileset i currently use...

I don't use tilesets anymore... I like how it is in plain DOS, that needs no improvements...and for the real beauty, I use 3D rendering of my fortress. ;)

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
Can anyone point me towards a good DF tileset?
I don't have a problem with the graphics, it's just that I'd rather be able to look at something and know what it is without having to look at a guide. :p

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
Odd coincidence, I've just started to (try to) play DF and this thread pops up :)
So far I've been following this tutorial. It's a good tutorial, since it has got me from trying to press random buttons hoping that the menus would change to something helpful to actually knowing some of the keys ;)

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Tileset Repository ;)

In an attempt to quit without saving (DF can't be stopped without either saving or force-ending the process,) I picked "Abandon the Fortress." Didn't clue in that it would remove the save file and update the world accordingly. :(

Oh well, the new fortress is better than the previous one. Perfect location in a valley, flowing water, basalt mineral-rich walls, plenty of soil, no damn aquifer... :)

I've walled off the whole section of valley and removed all slopes to prevent entry/exit, to see how long they can survive on their own with twelve dwarves. I'll be sure to make some paltry little camp for immigrants. :lol:

Last edited:

RS-232

No!
Reaction score
Website
piv.pivpiv.dk
Odd coincidence, I've just started to (try to) play DF and this thread pops up :)
So far I've been following this tutorial. It's a good tutorial, since it has got me from trying to press random buttons hoping that the menus would change to something helpful to actually knowing some of the keys ;)
The tutorial has helped me thanks for the heads-up :thumbup:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
An oil drilling crew on a lake accidentally drilled into a salt mine. Imagine their surprise when their whole derrick sinks into a lake that was only supposed to be 10 ft deep...
Only 9 out of 11 barges popped out.

I wonder what the archaeologists in year 4096 would think about finding barges deep underground....