Gaming Dwarf Fortress discussion

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
I don't get this game, not one bit. :dry:

I was like that too one week ago... ;) Try the tutorial RS-232 posted, I've followed it and now I'm actually able to dig, build, chop down trees, all without my dwarfs starving to death :lol:

Getting into the game is not easy, but it's definitely worth it. Kinda like Orbiter. I'd recommend you to try it out and hopefully things will go well and you'll have some fun! :)

RS-232

No!
Reaction score
Website
piv.pivpiv.dk
Almost ready for part 3 of the tutorial so far so good after about 2 retry's. Ill tell you what they really are happy when they get their booze. :p

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
I had to try several times, and wait quite a while, before someone got round to building the still. I don't think I'd have managed it without Dwarf Therapist...

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
I'm about to make a new world so I can start from scratch, but I don't know what the History setting changes, what does it do?

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm about to make a new world so I can start from scratch, but I don't know what the History setting changes, what does it do?
Length of history before you begin. Short is five years, it can get as long as 1050 years or so. It adds a lot of time to world generation to have a long history.

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
Length of history before you begin. Short is five years, it can get as long as 1050 years or so. It adds a lot of time to world generation to have a long history.
So what does it change exactly? The expansion of the civilisations? Plant growth? Erosion?

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
It mostly changes the amount of events that happen before you start. really, its only important in adventure mode, but it does effect size and spread of civilizations, and number of mega-beasts etc., which can have influences in Fortress mode.

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
Can anyone help me out here? I've been doing tons of mining (Built up a small fortress in a mountain and everything, but I'm never collecting any stone! My stone stockpiles are completely empty, what's going on?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Can anyone help me out here? I've been doing tons of mining (Built up a small fortress in a mountain and everything, but I'm never collecting any stone! My stone stockpiles are completely empty, what's going on?

Are you digging into sand or soil?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I don't think so, it definitely looks grey. :shrug:

Edit: Okay, it's Sandy Loam and by the looks of it everything in the area is made of it. :dry:

Then dig deeper :)

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
dig down a couple of Z levels (don't forget stairs) and you should start running into stone, and much more besides.

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
I've found some gypsum which is being stored in my stone stockpiles, so can I use that for the same purposes?

Edit: What's an easy way to melt ice? I need to get some mud because my farm isn't doing anything. :\

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I've found some gypsum which is being stored in my stone stockpiles, so can I use that for the same purposes?

Edit: What's an easy way to melt ice? I need to get some mud because my farm isn't doing anything. :\

Build your farm on the sandy loam... and also remember selecting a crop for it

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
check your farm is actually set up to DO something, because they aren't by default.

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
Now some migrants have arrived and the game forcibly moved my view and now I can't seem to get my right side window back. :p

Edit: My view is in a different sector and I can't get back to where my fortress is...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Now some migrants have arrived and the game forcibly moved my view and now I can't seem to get my right side window back. :p

Edit: My view is in a different sector and I can't get back to where my fortress is...

Hit F1 - you can set hot keys for marking important places in your fortress.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Recently struck a new cave, so far so good - nothing but spiders. This fortress is going much better than the last one that got annihilated within a week by alligators.

What's a good way to farm tower caps? I'd like to try and keep my fortress separated from those damn immigrants/nobles/kobolds.

Tab cycles through viewing modes. The arrow keys move around, and < and > (shift , and .) bring you up and down z-levels. Remember what z-level your main floor is on!

Gumok

Reaction score
Is this thread still alive? Is there someone else playing Dwarf Fortress? I have installed DF just now and going to LEARN. So far i can tell that the game is better and better for me and i am absolutely amazed with the world and history generator...

What do you think would be the best thing to add into the next update (if it will be possible)?
I would like to see a possibility to make a whole new state in the world with multiple fortresses and it's own infrastructure.