OHM Earth High-Resolution Clouds

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: felix24

Clouds for Earth, formatted at Level 8, but with larger textures, giving a Level 9 appearance.  Original data taken from NASA Blue Marble.

Made with Texbuild by nerull.

Formatted in DXT5.

Installation:

Unzip this file to a temporary location.
In your Textures2 folder, make a backup of your original Earth_cloud.tex first (if it exists).
Copy the new Earth_cloud.tex into the Textures2 folder.

DOWNLOAD

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Absolutely great :thumbup:

Thanks felix24!

tsan

Reaction score
It's really great!!!! Thank you very much!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I just found out that if I run Orbiter with D3D9 using these textures Earth shows no clouds :(

Is there any compatibilty problem with D3D9?

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
OH said:
...In your Textures2 folder, make a backup of your original Earth_cloud.tex first (if it exists)...
Beautiful! :thumbup:

This file already exists IF the user has installed these textures: Earth091124_11_14.zip

:hailprobe:

Felix24

Reaction score
How about 10-11 level clouds?

I think Orbiter only "officially" supports up to Level 8 clouds, but I used a workaround to trick it into using level 9. Basically, the texture patches are twice as big. So, for example, a normal Level 8 texture would have texture patches of 256x256 pixels, but the new clouds use texture patches that are 512x512 pixels. I have tried to make a Level 10 texture using 1024x1024 pixel patches, but the Texbuild program runs out of memory. If I could get it to compile the textures without crashing, then who knows?

It would be very nice if Martins added support for cloud textures above Level 8, perhaps using the same format as planetary surface textures. Or, the external graphics clients (OGLA, D3D9, D3D11) could adopt a standard format for high-res clouds.

Dmitrtr

Reaction score
I can't see your great textures in D3D11 Client, but it quite nice in D3D9!

Felix24

Reaction score
I can't see your great textures in D3D11 Client, but it quite nice in D3D9!

There's a problem with the way texbuild formats the cloud textures which makes it not work correctly. The folks working on the D3D9 client were kind enough to add a patch to make the clouds work, but the problem still exists for the D3D11 client. I'm rather hoping that martins will add official support for creating and displaying clouds greater than L8 in his next update of Orbiter, and both D3D9 and D3D11 will follow suit.

Koloss

Weyland-Yutani Corp.
Donator
Reaction score
A little question: I just downloaded it and installed the clouds. from about 2,000 kilometers it looks really nice but up close in a 230 Kilometer orbit I just see huge pixelblocks.
Did I do something wrong?

Greetings,

Chris

Felix24

Reaction score
A little question: I just downloaded it and installed the clouds. from about 2,000 kilometers it looks really nice but up close in a 230 Kilometer orbit I just see huge pixelblocks.
Did I do something wrong?

Greetings,

Chris

I don't know what might be causing the problem. Is it behaving as if the higher-resolution textures are corrupted? Re-downloading it might help. Do you have a screenshot that shows the issue?

What version of Orbiter are you running, and with which graphics client? What is your hardware setup?