Advanced Question Earth-Moon L2 point

romanasul

Reaction score
Has anyone here attempted to put a spacecraft or a small station in halo orbit around the Earth-Moon L2 point? If so, how would one go about accomplishing such a task?

Reaction score
Has anyone here attempted to put a spacecraft or a small station in halo orbit around the Earth-Moon L2 point? If so, how would one go about accomplishing such a task?

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4582"]Lagrangian points MFD v0.2[/ame]

;)

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Not sure, but I dont think it works quite like that, only L4 & L5 are inherently stable. Ive actually been considering creating an IMS based one to model propellant depots, so I would be happy for a partner on the project.

sorindafabico

Reaction score
You can keep an object in L1/L2/L3 using a [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lissajous_orbit"]Lissajous orbit[/ame], but I don't know how this is done.

About placing a vessel in L1/L2 (without cheating):

Example: method I used to get to Earth-Moon L1

- Find the distance of L1 from the Moon: ~58071 km.

- Using IMFD's Offset and Map tools, put your vessel in a transfer orbit to a place 58071 km above the Moon (PeD, not PeA) - exactly between Earth and Moon. Be careful with your orbital plane, or you can miss the target in one of the axes.

- Using the mentioned Lagrangian Points MFD, track the distance to L1 and use the data to calculate your "insertion" burn.

You are in L1. If you are not planning a Lissajous orbit, bring some fuel for station-keeping.

Last edited: