Earth 'not at risk' from collider (LHC)

gawinnard

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
desktopsimmer.blogspot.com
Thought about putting this in the physics section, then realised that it more 'general news'.... I don't think it will all end in a black hole, time distortions, mass reaction, or Barney the Dinosaur IQ increase will happen, I hope that the experiment will yield interesting results.

Personally, if we're sucked in a black hole / portal, that really sucks for me (ahem), as my birthday is only a few days after... and you we're all invited to 'have some cake' ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7468966.stm

Oh a countdown, so you'll know when to 'Duck and cover':
http://www.lhcountdown.com/

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
who thinks that there will be some mini black halls created by this ? and wouldn't the black halls be destroyed by hawking radiation ?

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
would we die instentley if it did create a black hole "OF DOOM"

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
would we die instentley if it did create a black hole "OF DOOM"
No, we would be hunted down and exterminated by imps, demons, barons of hell, cacodemons, cyberdemons and the spider mastermind. Stock up on ammo for the shotgun and chaingun, and learn how to wield a BFG9000 unless you fancy being turned into a zombie.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Dont we all like the big ****ing gun 9000 ?

gawinnard

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
I like the fact that there injunctions filed in Hawaii by seven plaintiffs, erm, should it be filed in the country of the LHC......

I'm going with the theory that this will actually start the universe we're living in.... :)

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
Those on the ISS will be safe. Oh wait, they're goin ta be flyin out into deep space from the loss of gravity. Bummer.

RangerPL

Addon Consumer
Reaction score
No, we would be hunted down and exterminated by imps, demons, barons of hell, cacodemons, cyberdemons and the spider mastermind. Stock up on ammo for the shotgun and chaingun, and learn how to wield a BFG9000 unless you fancy being turned into a zombie.
Damn (takes out M16 from the DGIV luggage compartment)

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Finally in just a few weeks that crazyness will be put to rest.

We need these things for producing antimatter ya know. Ya the same stuff NASA is thinking about going to Jupiter with. The last thing we need is more tinfoil hat, pot and pan protesters at the next launch.

If it produced some kind of event the most that could happen is the facility destroyed and the results being a massive clusterhey of lawsuits because of the loss of money. But nothing that kills the earth. That is just plain silly to think mankind has that kind of power period.

And besides even if it did we wouldn't know about it for long because heck if its a black hole growing we would be dead before we knew it anyway.

And just one more thing, Even if this posed a risk? Do we stop all development of this stuff now because we "might" cause a massive problem? What about 100 years from now? What about 1000?

gawinnard

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
The cake is a lie.
someone got the 'portal' reference ;)

...the most that could happen is the facility destroyed and the results being a massive clusterhey of lawsuits...
That's something that Douglas Adams would of said :)

I've done a bit of reading on the subject and it looks like the amount of 'energy' produced would probably only destroy the immediate area, i.e. a few atoms width. I do like tin foil science, completely baseless with no supporting facts what so ever.

This is what happened the last time someone destroyed the Earth with the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider, oh, that's right tin foil heads we're still here!:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1339731/Killer-plasma-ready-to-devour-the-Earth.html

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
If the earth is eaten/ consumed/ transformed, I'm sueing :)

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
tshirtsz7.jpg

Moonwalker

Reaction score
We're going to do something which we can't even see with the naked eye. Compared to natural forces and laws it's just nothing. Despite our technological achievements we are and remain energetic dwarfs. Tornados and volcanic eruptions for example are much more impressive to me than some scientific bauble like particle accelerators.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yeah. The LHC might look impressive, but actually, the three SSMEs of the space shuttle create more power as the LHC consumes.

The energy stored inside the magnets is just 10 GJ (~ 2.4 tons TNT), the energy of the beams only 724 MJ (~173 kg TNT).

The impressiveness is, that the 173 kg TNT energy equivalent is stored inside matter of the size of a grain of sand.