Discussion Earth orbital hotel?

richfororbit

Reaction score
Hi people,

As expensive as it is to launch, what are the thoughts on such an idea?

I guess I could launch my own non profit group and call it orbital hotel 30. Aim to get thirty guests staying at an orbital hotel.

What would it be made of? :dry:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What would it be made of? :dry:

Well, likely money. :lol:

The key question is not how to build one. That is fairly easy. The trick is to make it last longer than 19 days. What you use for making it is essentially defined by how you plan to operate it. After all, you need to fix things all the time.

I would thus recommend to first think about the how... in first iteration. Then you build something that allows the how in second iteration, correct in the operations what you missed in third, etc etc etc...

richfororbit

Reaction score
I'm puzzled myself.

I recall an old film I saw on the youtube site a year or two back, which one business guy who wanted to setup one.

Well, an orbital hotel sure would be much more realistic than going to Mars.

Of course an orbital hotel would be nothing like an Earth bound one, there would need to be a crew to maintain it, some kind of staff, and then the guests.

As well, a launch facility, probably the commercial crew one would be useful, and a status control centre.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Of course an orbital hotel would be nothing like an Earth bound one, there would need to be a crew to maintain it, some kind of staff, and then the guests.

You can be sure, there will be a lot of "hotel" remaining. Your crew would be more likely like the crew of a cruise ship: As much responsible for the guests as for maintaining the station.

Who you mean with building a hotel in orbit is Bigelow Aerospace:

https://bigelowaerospace.com/

richfororbit

Reaction score
You mean that company would be the one that could build the modules for such a venture.

Essentially former Air force pilots.

Though no matter how one looks at it, the hotel structure is millions, and then the rocket launches, and the guests would be those with quite a lot of money.

Pretty much like Galactic's early customers. Hopefully they will get their sub orbital trip soon.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Bigelow has waited a long time to get that venture off the ground; like Skylon they are one of the projects I hope to see someday soon. Bigelow has done a fair amount of testing, so they aren't vaporware at least.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I also think Bigelow is on the right track to get something like this accomplished. With Genesis I launched I was pretty impressed. Genesis II was enough of a success that they skipped III (Sundancer) and are going for the big daddy module. The 330 is gargantuan compared to either of the earlier versions.

Hard to believe that both have been up there for so long with so little fanfare.