Launch News Elektro-L atop Zenit-3F/Fregat-SB on January 20, 2011

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
Video of the rocket contrail taken in Barnaul (53°21′24″ N, 83°47′14″ E, Altai):

Pictures of the rocket contrail taken in Yarovoye (52°56′00″ N, 78°35′00″ E):

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

... 4 minutes atfer:

index.php

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Few bit of info on the current status of the Elektro-L here.

As of http://www.roscosmos.ru/main.php?id=10&zid=715,

The nominal orbit's parameters of Elektro-L satellite are:

Draconic Period, Tdr|86 164 s
Eccentricity, e|0
Inclination, i|0 deg
Station point|76 deg E

Precision of position keeping at the station point is no worse than:
  • By longitude - +/-0.5 deg
  • By latitude - +/-0.5 deg

So it's obvious that the 0.5 deg inclined orbit was not the final destination. Few people who are in real touch with the subject, made interesting comments at Novosti Kosmonavtiki forum, which give insight of the current problems they are having with the Elektro-L:

http://www.novosti-kosmonavtiki.ru/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=695703#695703

Thanks to everybody for congratulating. I have recovered from the last night's watching at mission control, but not completely. The spacecraft itself is doing very well, however the ground segment (mainly, Klyon-E command and measurement facility) doesn't impress us as much. When I'm writing this, we could not perform valid trajectory measuring yet, and the results we could get were all garbage. Since the spacecraft is proceeding towards its station point a bit faster than expected, we may have to do correction as early as this Sunday. Otherwise, we might miss the point and have to come around, wasting the precious fuel, which the satellite was deliberately made short of due to undertanking. This is complicated by the concerning situation with the ballistic forecast: frankly, we just don't have one. We have recoursed to services of optical spacecraft tracking station in Terskol and <i>Rhythm</i> Correlation-Phase Radio Range Finder at Medvezhyi Ozyora. Let's see what this evening and the next day will bring us...

http://www.novosti-kosmonavtiki.ru/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=695742#695742

We do have the contact after applying manual corrective shift. But here in Khimki we have lots of radiointerference which impair our work, and that's because everybody is nervous. The time of corrective burn is nearing, and we are still short of the necessary info.

Explanation about undertanking:

http://www.novosti-kosmonavtiki.ru/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=696130#696130

Initially, the Elektro-L was inserted into 54 deg East. Now it is drifting Eastwards at about 3 degrees a day. On January 25th we'll begin slowing it down, so it would arrive at the station with a reasonable approaching speed.

Undertanking was caused by a number of circumstances, which namely were:
  • our partners have supplied an engine with worse performance than expected for the Fregat-SB upper stage;
  • Dnepropetrovsk failed to implement the alteration of Zenit's engines work profile allowing full burnout of one of the propellants, as they promised.
This caused a considerable shortening of the allowed payload mass, and instead expected 1900 kg at GEO the spacecraft had to grow lean down to 1766 kg. We mostly managed to reduce the weight through tanking less propellant. What will happen because if this? Nothing excepet that at some point we'll stop coutering inclination drift, and the inclination begins growing by 1 degree a year.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
By an unofficial message, Elektro-L satellite has been successfully stabilized (on Feb 3, 2011) at GEO point 76° East! :cheers:

Present NORAD's TLE for it are very outdated, unfortunately.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
http://www.9news.com/news/article/193347/222/From-Russia-with-love-and-it-landed-with-a-thud-

From Russia with love and it landed with a thud
6:33 PM, Apr 13, 2011

MOFFAT COUNTY - Bob Dunn has been hiking through the sagebrush and juniper-filled northwest plateau of Colorado for 50 years. Most everyday he finds something interesting. A lot of the time he finds deer and elk antlers shed by the animals in the winter and spring.

"Its like an Easter egg hunt. There's no telling what you're going to run into," Dunn said.

On March 21, he ran into something a lot more unusual than antlers.

Dunn was hiking in an area a few miles south of the Colorado-Wyoming border about 50 miles north of Craig when a strange sound got his attention.

"I was walking along and there was an odd noise," Dunn said. "I listened and that was it, just a short noise and a high pitched scrape."

A short time later he saw what is believed to be the source of the sound. Sitting in a small crater was a metallic sphere about 30 inches in diameter.

"I had a pretty good idea that it was something very unusual," Dunn said. "I looked down at it and looked up and said to myself, 'This thing fell out of the sky.'"

He contacted the Moffat County Sheriff's Department and a deputy was able to determine the sphere didn't pose a hazardous materials threat. While they were examining the object, they noticed some writing in a foreign language.

It was Russian.

Dunn was able to contact an expert with the NASA's Orbital Space Debris program who identified the object as a tank on the Russian Federation's Zenit-3 SLBF launch vehicle. It is used as part of the vehicle's pressurization system.

A spokesperson for NASA, William Jeffs, says they believe the finding is linked to a January launch by the Russians.

"The timing and location of the discovery and Cyrillic markings on the tank have let to an association with the Zenit re-entry," Jeffs said.

NASA says the Russian rocket re-entered the atmosphere over Los Angeles.

Dunn is now keeping the 70-pound titanium tank in a storage space, while he tries to figure out what to do with it.

"It belongs to the Russians," Dunn said with a laugh. "So it is up to them. I don't know if they would like a piece of space junk back or not. For me, maybe a letter asking for it back from one of the Russian ministries that I could put on my wall would probably be better than having this great big piece of space debris."

(KUSA-TV © 2011 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wow, what a wacky coincidence. Lucky guy (but might have been very unlucky if he walked faster!)

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Conspiracy theorists will argue the tank was aiming at Cheyenne...

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Universe Today: Earth Day Timelapse

A time-lapse of Planet Earth, created from images produced by the geostationary Electro-L Weather Satellite. The images were obtained beginning on May 14th, and end on May 20th. The images are the largest whole disk images of our planet, each image is 121 megapixels, and the resolution is 1 kilometer per pixel. They are taken every half hour, and have been interpolated (smoothed) to create this video. The images are taken in four different wavelengths of light, three visible, and one infrared. The infrared light is reflected by forests and vegetation, which appear orange in these images.

Images Copyright NTs OMZ. Videos Copyright James Drake

See more Electro-L movies and full-size images at http://Planet--Earth.ca/

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Simply awesome images. Could be considered comparable to the original Blue Marble in their grandeur.

Inexorably better than the awful composite image that was being dubbed "Blue Marble 2012" a few months back.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Universe Today: Electro-L’s Fully Lit View of Planet Earth at the Autumnal Equinox

26158_original.jpg

The entire disk of the Earth lit during the equinox on September 22, 2013. Credit: Roscosmos / NTSOMZ / SRC “Planeta” / zelenyikot.livejournal.com

elektro.gif

Animation of the Electro-L satellite’s view of Earth on September 22, 2013. Credit: Roscosmos / NTSOMZ / SRC “Planeta” / zelenyikot.livejournal.com​

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzfj-l0669Y"]Solar eclipse 3.11. 2013 from russian satellite Elektro-L - YouTube[/ame]