ELYSIUM

IL2windhawk

Reaction score
I saw Elysium in theaters on Friday. The spaceflight sequences are phenomenal! It looks a lot like Orbiter in a few shots.

Also, the spacecraft designs are really interesting. Very realistic. Blomkamp really has a knack for sci-fi.

:thumbup:

What'd you guys think?

screenshot_4_23_13_12_04_pm.jpg

Last edited:

BenSisko

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
It's a dark story, well done though. Blomkamp has a interesting take on the future. His future Earth looks a lot like the South African shantytowns he shot in District 9

Krikkit

Reaction score
Free floating debris inside an accelerating spacecraft, heavy handed social commentary, and absolutely confusing character motivations at the end.

Other than that, I enjoyed it. I really liked the attention to detail and the designs of the various technologies.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
I'm sick of the class warfare theme, I plan on skipping.

Keatah

Reaction score
Well certainly the name is catchy, but whether it can hold its own against my standards is an entirely different matter.

ADDED:
Though if the space scenery is as good as the OP claims, then I'm going to have to have an add-on for this. Making a station can't be that hard. Afterall, someone make BigWheel, which is in the same category.

Anyhow I may go just to see the scenery.

Question, is this movie full of 0.8 second over caffeinated-nervous, jerky-shooting, camera work? Or do you get time to enjoy the world around you?

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Please no spoilers, it only comes out in SA on the 30th of August... ;)

I am really looking forward to seeing it, it will be interesting to see another work by Blomkamp. The previews look really visually impressive, including the space scenes. They do seem to have quite a bit of visual realism to them.

It doesn't look much like 'hard' science fiction, with the space-cars and surface-escape velocity MANPADs. It looks like it's more Star Wars style, like District 9.

But I don't think we've seen a torus habitat in this kind of live action film before.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Question, is this movie full of 0.8 second over caffeinated-nervous, jerky-shooting, camera work?

As far as I can gather from critics, yes.

PennyBlack

Altea Development Team
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pennyblack.yolasite.com
I really enjoy the shacky camera work, it added to the atmosphere in Battlestar Galactica and many other directors have used the same "jerky-shooting" to the same effect. There's so many new Sci-fi films I'm waiting to come out on DvD or other, mainly the other :shifty:.
I can't wait to see this in six months time. It looks really good. Such affluent people, going to see it at the picture house... simply spoilt ay ya.! :lol: