News Emirates crash landing at Dubai (2016-08-03)

Ravenous

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
If anyone's interested, a (non-fatal) crash landing and fire are being reported at Dubai airport today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-36963112

There's a still on that page showing the remains - it looks like the entire upper fuselage down to window level was burned off...

Looking at it, it's amazing they got everyone off quickly enough.

A witness in a nearby plane reported an "explosion" after the evacuation though of course that was probably a flash fire.

(Boeing 777-300 by the way. There is some mention of a wheels-up landing but nothing firm at the moment.)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Looks like it was a wheel up emergency landing, at least according to local news.

Ravenous

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Oh and my mention of a "flash fire" in the cabin is obviously rubbish - looking more closely at the pictures there was obviously an engine separation and a major fire outside the aircraft.

Everyone's off, anyway...

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Just posted on Twitter.

CpceCGHWcAAap-4.jpg

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I seem to recall several 777s burning rather badly recently, Singapore Airways, British Airways in Las Vegas. Is there something especially flammable about these jets or am I suffering from selective memory?

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Interesting theory here: Emirates B777 crash was accident waiting to happen

Of course, it's pure speculation on his part, and the title is melodramatic. So we will see...

EDIT:
Some information about the facts in the crash here: http://avherald.com/h?article=49c12302

An excerpt:

A passenger in the aft cabin reported that the approach was normal, there had been no announcements or indications of anything abnormal. Then there was a heavy impact, oxygen masks came down, the aircraft skidded shaking violently and immediately filling with smoke and came to a stop. All doors were opened, it appeared however not all of them were used for evacuation. After sliding down the chute the passenger began to run, about 100 meters from the aircraft an explosion was heard (editorial note: watch video "The aircraft erupting into flames", the right wing caught fire and including right hand engine separated from the aircraft).

Another passenger reported that the captain made an announcement they would land at Dubai and the weather was fine, nothing appeared to be amiss. Suddenly the aircraft hit the ground tail/belly first, at the same time the right hand engine caught fire, and the aircraft skidded to a halt, smoke filled the cabin, only at this time the passengers realised the seriousness of the situation. The accident came entirely out of the blue.

A ground observer reported EK-521 made a normal approach with the landing gear extended, touched down hard and went around, the gear was retracted, however the aircraft appeared to lack power and sank back onto the runway. (Editorial note: The Aviation Herald noticed the lack of a significant detail in the narration of passengers mentioned above, there was no mention of sounds of engines spooling up).

On Aug 8th 2016 a passenger reported in the reader comments on AVH below, that the approach was normal, the landing gear was down. The aircraft touched down, however, the nose was not lowered onto the runway and the aircraft appeared to climb away again, the gear was retracted, however, the engines did not spool up. The aircraft made ground contact again, skidded along the runway with the right hand engine separating from the aircraft but still being dragged along with the aircraft until the aircraft came to a full stop.

Last edited:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
I seem to recall several 777s burning rather badly recently, Singapore Airways, British Airways in Las Vegas. Is there something especially flammable about these jets or am I suffering from selective memory?

Plus a Korean air flight in Tokyo and Asiana flight 214 at San Fransisco a few years ago. But, the 777 seems just as flammable as any other modern passanger transport.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Unable to do a go-around after a bounced landing seems like a design flaw to me...

Design flaw in the human flying it, more like. I bet those triples do go-arounds from bounced landings every day somewhere in the world.

EDIT: I get that this autothrottle on this B777 is an interesting system, but as I understand it - keep your hand on the throttles and advance them forward as soon as you need them. Maybe too much training on the gizmos and not enough on basic aviating?

Last edited:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Design flaw in the human flying it, more like. I bet those triples do go-arounds from bounced landings every day somewhere in the world.
I doubt it.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What - go around in general, or go around after touchdown? The former would be more frequent than the latter, of course.
Go around after touchdown. I mean, obviously, the linked opinion piece is 100% factual, and according to that, go-arounds after a bounce almost never happen.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Perhaps this was a scenario like Asiana Flight 214 that crashed in San Francisco? Basically came in above flight path and the pilots didn't flare in time.

Well, I would not doubt it. Usually a modern plane should NEVER bounce except in bad weather, even on a hard landing. The spoilers are automatically deployed on weight-on-wheels. But if the thrust FBW was in a wrong configuration on landing, its possible that the engines can't react on a go-around.