Entering the atmosphere of Uranus and Neptune

Radomir

Reaction score
Anyone tried entering the atmosphere of Uranus and Neptune?
Scared the s*** out of me that's for sure!

I was orbiting Uranus and decided that I'll de-orbit and see what it's like to be in it's atmosphere. When I was at an altitude of about 200 km's, I suddenly heard a huge explosion, and the next thing I know, I was burning up in the atmosphere, the air pressure was 60 kPa, and the blackness of space changed into a dark-green sky. On Neptune you get the same thing, but with 120 kPa and a blue sky.

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
What ship are you using?

As far as I know, if you have 'Complex Flight Model' checked, most ships won't generate enought thrust inside it's atmosphere. Pretty scary :p

Radomir

Reaction score
I didn't have complex flight model enabled, and I was using the stock DG.

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
LOL, I just landed on Uranus' surface :speakcool:. No problems thou'
:cheers:

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Same thing here... The atmospheric models for Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune are all out of wach as far as the pressure, temperature and density. Same thing with Titan, the temperature profile is "Earth ambiant".

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I once approached Uranus with the XR-2 at 80 km/s and decided to try aerobraking. The atmosphere just began and BOOM I was thrown into space at a crazy speed.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I once approached Uranus with the XR-2 at 80 km/s and decided to try aerobraking. The atmosphere just began and BOOM I was thrown into space at a crazy speed.

You mean when you just appear in the middle of nowhere, spinnin' like hell and that sound from the air rushing by you playing all the time?

That thing is really annoying :(

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
I once heard a theory about Uranus: it actually does have a surface, but it's all ocean, a total water-world. So although you can't actually stand on it, you could float in a boat!

Dig Gil

LearninProgram,Slackin DigTech
Reaction score
Website
dig-orbiter.blogspot.com
What really happens is that it has got some much gas that the gravity makes it so dense it turns behaving more like a liquid than a gas. The same happens to other gaseous planets, but Jupiter is a real extreme, because it's core is dense enough to look like a solid!

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
If you want to know true crazy, attempt a landing on the sun. See were it gets you.

Lunar Pilot

Reaction score
Landing on the Sun

I don't like flying real close to the Sun, it get's all weird when the Sun fills up half the screen. Although it is fun to turn on unlimited fuel, and turned the engines on full pointed straight at the sun. You end up flying out of the solar system spinning out of control at about 2c.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't get the thing about necro-posting.
And Lunar Pilot has a point. It gets all weird when one comes close to the sun.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I don't get the thing about necro-posting.

Necroposting is detailed in forum rule #14:

14. *NEW RULE* No Necroposting - Necroposting is when you find a thread that has been inactive for a set amount of time and then post in it again. Necroposting is allowed only if your post makes a worthwhile contribution to the topic. Anyone who brings a thread back to life on day 30 or later without anything worthwhile to contribute will receive a warning or infraction. If you are confused what makes a necropost, look at the date of the last post and add the number 30. If your calendar is on or past that date, it is a necropost, unless your post made a worthwhile contribution to the topic. An update by the original poster in the thread is not a necropost.

Since the topic of flying close to the sun is a competely different topic from this thread's topic and this thread was dead for 2.5 months, that was a necropost. It is best to start a new thread for the new topic instead of necroposting.