Equations To get to the moon

Bonanza123d

Time Lord from Gallifrey
Reaction score
Hey all,

In a few threads here, I have stated I will try something that probably has never been tried before. I am getting my entire physics class to make all the calculations and navigation requirements to get Apollo 11 to go to the moon (And :hailprobe: at the same time :cheers:). Can you help me get all the equations required to calculate burns, burn execution, and also the location. I basically need everything to get to the moon without IMFD, TransX, TransferMFD, exc.

Thank You and :hailprobe:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I think that a good place to start is to develop a list of needed equations for your specific flight plan. For example what do you intend to teach the students. What procedures will you allow them to use? What external equipment do they have? What information will you supply as "given"?

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

http://web.mit.edu/digitalapollo/Documents/Chapter8/trackingapollo.pdf

you can probably also use descriptions such as this to get an idea of what kind of tracking and telemetry was actually used in the program.

Anyone correct me on this:
It's my understanding that Apollo was flown mainly with the help of auto pilots and dynamic instructions from ground control. The pilots themselves executed procedure rather than crunching numbers.

Bonanza123d

Time Lord from Gallifrey
Reaction score
Anyone correct me on this:
It's my understanding that Apollo was flown mainly with the help of auto pilots and dynamic instructions from ground control. The pilots themselves executed procedure rather than crunching numbers.

Well... We're are crunching the numbers. It is a complicated mission. So that is why I need the same equations used in programs like TransX or IMFD to calculate burns.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
This is a good place to start. It covers all the basics.

The example problems section in particular will help you get a "hands on" understanding.

A great source for understanding the constraints and controlling factors of the Apollo lunar landing missions launch windows is this essay by Robin Wheeler.

If you could give a more specific outline of what exactly you intend to do -other than "I wanna go to the moon with pen and paper"- perhaps then, we could give you more specific answers.

Last edited:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
the equations needed really depend on your activity management plan as well as the upper limit of difficulty (intro calculus vs. mathematics PhD)

I'm pretty sure the equations used in the MFD's mentioned are based on simulation states that would be unknown or nonsensical in the real world.

If the students can't suggest equations to you, are you sure they will comprehend the reasons for using the ones that are needed?

Why not start with something like a lunar impact probe? or even a probe that accomplishes a lunar encounter or hypothetically take photos of the far side of the moon?

Kinetics

Reaction score
Hey all,

In a few threads here, I have stated I will try something that probably has never been tried before. I am getting my entire physics class to make all the calculations and navigation requirements to get Apollo 11 to go to the moon (And :hailprobe: at the same time :cheers:). Can you help me get all the equations required to calculate burns, burn execution, and also the location. I basically need everything to get to the moon without IMFD, TransX, TransferMFD, exc.

Thank You and :hailprobe:

I am suspicious - how old are your students? Are you really a "physics" teacher as claimed?

Dont you already have a curriculum?

How can you teach students if you dont understand the subject matter.

why have you not already studied orbital mechanics yourself instead of relying on add ons?

Last edited by a moderator:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Isn't this related to what has already been asked here?

darian

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Those interplanetary physics studies are exactly what I need to study if I want to go back to the moon. I can get into orbit off of a current real time launch window, but never was able to get into a orbit suitable enough for a landing. If I master those Physics lessons I should be all good.