Errors when starting debugging SSU in Visual C++ Express

sintexx

Reaction score
I don´t understand it :idk:
I downloaded from SNV, copyed orbiter 2010 and all Addons in the
same direktion and the OrbiterSDK40 .lib and .h into Orbitersdk/lib and
orbitersdk/include. I also have Visual Studio C++ Express so which module have I to debug ? When I debug Atlantis_2010.sln i get a bunch off errors .
Please can somebody help me ?

mfg Niels

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
When I debug Atlantis_2010.sln i get a bunch off errors .
So you compiled the SSU just fine, but when you start debugging you are getting many errors? :confused:

What errors?

sintexx

Reaction score
I think i do something essential wrong. :lol: But here are some screen shots:
I simply open the file no errors:

6kf6llj8.jpg

Then i press debug and i get a lots of errors during debug and
on at the End ( sorry it is in German and i don´t know how to change it )

u46qkemj.jpg

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
So, it isn't actually built right. The error isn't when you start debugging, but when the Visual C++ is building one of the projects in the solution for debugging.

To solve the missing afxres.h issue read this post.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Ah yes, the problem with compiling resources with a VC++ Express version. Don't remember how to fix this, but it was a common problem. The general solution in the internet is simply removing all references to "afxres.h" in the .rc file. Not sure if it really needed for SSU, since it is a MFC heritage library, which the resource editor of the professional versions added.

EDIT: OK, :ninja: by orb.

sintexx

Reaction score
now I get this :
Code:
1>------ Erstellen gestartet: Projekt: Atlantis, Konfiguration: Debug Win32 ------
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets(990,5): warning MSB8012: TargetPath(C:\Users\Niels\Desktop\Orbiter_SpaceshuttleUltra\Orbitersdk\Space Shuttle Ultra\.\..\..\Modules\Atlantis.dll) entspricht nicht dem OutputFile-Eigenschaftswert (C:\Users\Niels\Desktop\Orbiter_SpaceshuttleUltra\Modules\SpaceShuttleUltra.dll) von Linker. Das Projekt wird daher möglicherweise nicht ordnungsgemäß erstellt. Damit dieses Problem behoben werden kann, müssen die Eigenschaftswerte für $(OutDir), $(TargetName) und $(TargetExt) dem in %(Link.OutputFile) angegebenen Wert entsprechen.
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets(992,5): warning MSB8012: TargetName(Atlantis) entspricht nicht dem OutputFile-Eigenschaftswert (SpaceShuttleUltra) von Linker. Das Projekt wird daher möglicherweise nicht ordnungsgemäß erstellt. Damit dieses Problem behoben werden kann, müssen die Eigenschaftswerte für $(OutDir), $(TargetName) und $(TargetExt) dem in %(Link.OutputFile) angegebenen Wert entsprechen.
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Platforms\Win32\Microsoft.Cpp.Win32.Targets(268,5): error MSB6006: "link.exe" wurde mit dem Code 1104 beendet.
1>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: Datei "libUltrad.lib" kann nicht geöffnet werden.
========== Erstellen: 0 erfolgreich, Fehler bei 1, 1 aktuell, 0 übersprungen ==========

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The libUltra Project should be compiled first, not sure if your compiler really followed that order, I think it was set that way in the VC 2008 project settings.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
So I have to use the 2008 Version ?

No. You just have to make sure the settings are right and the projects are compiled in the right order.

sintexx

Reaction score
Sorry but there are still problems. I think every thing is now correct and it debug but then after some minutes I get this:
Code:
2>  Code wird generiert...
2>.\Debug/SimpleGPCSoftware.obj : warning LNK4042: Objekt mehrmals angegeben; zusätzliche Objekte werden ignoriert.
2>     Bibliothek ".\..\..\..\Modules/MG_Atlantis.lib" und Objekt ".\..\..\..\Modules/MG_Atlantis.exp" werden erstellt.
2>LINK : warning LNK4098: Standardbibliothek "LIBCMT" steht in Konflikt mit anderen Bibliotheken; /NODEFAULTLIB:Bibliothek verwenden.
2>LINK : fatal error LNK1123: Fehler bei der Konvertierung in COFF: Datei ist ungültig oder beschädigt.
========== Erstellen: 1 erfolgreich, Fehler bei 1, 0 aktuell, 0 übersprungen ==========

And also another question:
Why have I to compile the modules by my self ? For people like me
with just very little programming experience it is quite hard, and I think
many people give up and don´t use the add-on because of the difficult installation.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Simple answer: Because it is not done yet. We have not yet reached a state, in which we could dare to release the add-on to the public, including to people, who would file bug reports for problems in this version, when we are already working on the third next release. Which is even now, extremely annoying, because you are first shocked of a new bug and then realize after checking, that this person reported for an old version and the bug was already fixed months ago.

Thus, we decided to use some sort of technical darwinism: If you are smart enough to properly use SVN, you are smart enough to use SSU. Not friendly, I admit it, but usually pretty effective.

And yes, I am also among the people who forget to say "NO!", when others in the project want to add new features. But as I am currently not doing any coding as long as my computer is mostly broken, I also can't cause much harm.

sintexx

Reaction score
Ok finally it isn´t work, I try it again when there is a stable Release.
Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
WIP projects often decide on one or two tool-chains for development. Obviously the Express edition is not among them for SSU at the moment.

As I've only recently encountered the incompatibilities of Express and regular edition of Visual Studio in the AU project, I could try my hands on the problem and open an appropriate Express branch in my clone in order to create a compilable snapshot with the Express tool-chain.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
WIP projects often decide on one or two tool-chains for development. Obviously the Express edition is not among them for SSU at the moment.
I can compile the SSU sources just fine with 2010 Express Edition. I would suggest trying that as I don't think the 2008 project/solution files are actively maintained anymore.

sintexx

Reaction score
Now it finally works. I have now Idea what happed but OK :lol:
I don´t know if everything is right because I had several "Versions" in several
directions and at the end everything was a bit of a mess But so far I can get on the launchpad without a CTD and everything seems to be alright :thumbup:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I can compile the SSU sources just fine with 2010 Express Edition. I would suggest trying that as I don't think the 2008 project/solution files are actively maintained anymore.

Not without extra packages like MFC classes. The usual afxres.h problem comes to mind. Also the debug settings have some linker troubles.

Thing is: if you have vanilla Orbiter with OrbiterSound4.0 and a plain check-out of the sources, even with copying OrbiterSound header and lib you won't get the complete solution (Atlantis_2010.sln) built with Visual C++ 2010 Express. I just tried it out with a VM (to go tabula rasa).

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Not without extra packages like MFC classes.

Only afxres.h is needed from MFC, solution to which was already posted in this thread.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Only afxres.h is needed from MFC, solution to which was already posted in this thread.

Yes, indeed. My point is that it is not possible to compile it right from scratch without manual editing or installing extra packages to VC++ .

This is what I'm actually doing now: creating a branch where all these minor annoyances are fixed. You'd then just have to get a version from there, and except for the copying of OrbiterSound4.0 headers and lib (which inclusion is prohibited by its license AFAIK), you don't have to do extra hops to get it compiled.

---------- Post added at 22:25 ---------- Previous post was at 22:01 ----------

So here it is: http://bitbucket.org/face/ssu/get/Visual C++ 2010 Express.zip

This will get you the snapshot with the appropriate afxres.h changes (and some other minor things) in order to get a compilable solution for Visual C++ 2010 Express. I'll keep it up-to-date by merging in the ongoing trunk development from time to time.

Of course copying OrbiterSoundSDK40.h into /Orbitersdk/include and OrbiterSoundSDK40.lib into /Orbitersdk/lib is still a prerequisite.