Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
It's sad to see how things changed from "it's on a Russian rocket, we'll get back to you when it reaches Mars" all the way to "It's on a Russian rocket, let's pray nothing goes wrong with the launch"...

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
It's sad to see how things changed from "it's on a Russian rocket, we'll get back to you when it reaches Mars" all the way to "It's on a Russian rocket, let's pray nothing goes wrong with the launch"...

I have nothing against the "Russian rocket" part, but you have to agree that this particular rocket has a life-long "problem" with payloads headed for Mars... :shifty:

Messierhunter

Reaction score
Does anyone happen to have any orbital elements or ephemeris information for the probe either pre or post-TMI? I'd very much like to track it with a scope.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Should be nearing the end of the final burn...

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

Anatoly Zak ‏@RussianSpaceWeb 8m8 minutes ago
Due to beyond-horizon position of #ExoMars, mission control is not expected to confirm 4th engine burn until beginning of next hour at least

S/C AOS is expected at 2129 GMT

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

21:06 CET: Fourth and final burn of Breeze-M upper stage completed

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

21:15 CET: Separation of TGO from upper stage confirmed

:hailprobe:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
So, can i stop holding my breath now? :sick:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
ExoMars orbiter ‏@ESA_TGO 36s36 seconds ago
YEEEEAAAAAHHHHHH! Thank you @Roscosmos for a rockin’ ride to #space! 7 months & 500 million km to #Mars! #ExoMars

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Roger, Twan...(correcting himself) Tranquility. We copy you on the ground. You got a bunch of guys about to turn blue. We're breathing again. Thanks a lot.

Duke, Apollo 11 CAPCOM

:lol:

For the diagrams and organization fans, Anatoly Zak made those about Exomars future activities and shared mission control :

mission_control_1.jpg

science_structure_1.jpg

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
According to Anatoly Zak, something went badly wrong with the Briz-M tug shortly after separation, likely a catastrophic explosion :

http://www.popularmechanics.com/space/rockets/a20044/exomars-narrow-escape-launch-disaster/

The good new is that ExoMars seems intact, the bad one is that a cloud of debris/gases travelling around the Probe might compromise the scientifical value of the mission (contamination). :eek:h:

(Unlike Mars landers, rocket stages are not sterilized in accordance with strict international standards.)

What is especially worrying about the latest accident is that Briz-M apparently exploded after just 10.5 hours in space, when its ExoMars cargo was still in the vicinity. The good news is that ExoMars appears to be undamaged by whatever happened to its space tug, but the mission is not out of the woods yet.

Last edited:

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
:facepalm:

I don't know what kind of contamination can happen, but I had been wondering for long why ESA was using one of the less reliable rocket/upperstage combination on the market for such a critical mission...

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
:facepalm:

I don't know what kind of contamination can happen, but I had been wondering for long why ESA was using one of the less reliable rocket/upperstage combination on the market for such a critical mission...
It was only one that could do job. TGO/Schiaparelli is heavier than Mars Express which used a Soyuz/Fregat. And I guess using a Ariane 5 ECA would have blown the budget.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It was only one that could do job. TGO/Schiaparelli is heavier than Mars Express which used a Soyuz/Fregat. And I guess using a Ariane 5 ECA would have blown the budget.

yep, I get this, but what a risk... :hide:

not only economic but mostly of company image (which transaltes in economic risk when looking for future funding). Let's hope that nothing was compromised!

:hailprobe:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The Proton does relatively well, but there is something very wrong on the Briz-M production line. Do they employ Kerbals for that job ? :hmm: