Question external HUD

maxmiztejm

Reaction score
Hello. I have a question: is it possible to make a 'external HUD' add-on to Oriter?
I need it to build simpit. In the primary screen must stay view outside from cockpit withou any tools, only things outside cockpit. On secondary display will be external MFDs. On third display must be external HUD. Only HUD lines on the black background.
Is it possible?
Thank you very much for info!

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Try to go open Orbiter Launchpad. There you find a folder on the right named Modules. At the bottom, theres' something called ExtMFD. When you start playing Orbiter, press Ctrl+F4, and activate it.

maxmiztejm

Reaction score
Hello. Thank you for ideas. I already tried external MFD, but they didnt solve my problem. I want build simpit with real HUD. The space inviroment will be shown on external big screens. But inside the cockpit infront of the windows i want install glass which reflect HUD information. For that i need add-on, which allow me have external window with HUD information on black background. Will be great if it will be have mirroring setups.
2clv1x.png
jh7kee.png

Last edited:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
There is possibility to do it from an external graphics client, but you'd need to ask one of graphics clients developers to implement it, or somebody who knows how to do it, to fork a specialized graphics client for you.

maxmiztejm

Reaction score
Orb, thank you! Do you know somebody, who can do this?

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It might be much easier to use Orb:Connect and write a HUD display program from scratch--IIRC, I'd coded a prototype HUD mode for RemoteMFD, since I'd had a similar idea as you.

There's still a few kinks to work out, notably having the HUD respond to externally-requested mode changes and target changes (like with the docking/orbit/surface HUDs), but those are probably doable.

maxmiztejm

Reaction score
Thank you for info! Hielor, do you have any working prototype? How it looks like? Also a question: do external HUD can be displayed without displayed ordynary HUD on primar screens?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Thank you for info! Hielor, do you have any working prototype? How it looks like?
Not of the HUD specifically, no--I never solved the problems I presented above of needing to sync up with mode/target changes. I never tried, though, and I haven't looked at it since the 2010 API came out, so it might be doable or even easy now. I only got as far as making an MFD mode for RemoteMFD that was a passable "HUD" display.

Also a question: do external HUD can be displayed without displayed ordynary HUD on primar screens?
Can't you turn off the normal HUD? Sorry, it's been a while since I've investigated it...

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Not of the HUD specifically, no--I never solved the problems I presented above of needing to sync up with mode/target changes.
In such case it may actually be easier to modify the graphics client, and in case of DirectX clients, use multiple swap chains to render the HUD to different window instead of the main Orbiter window (as I could find by searching for "directx rendering to multiple windows"). It's possible for both D3D9 and D3D11 clients.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
In such case it may actually be easier to modify the graphics client, and in case of DirectX clients, use multiple swap chains to render the HUD to different window instead of the main Orbiter window (as I could find by searching for "directx rendering to multiple windows"). It's possible for both D3D9 and D3D11 clients.
Certainly that's a possibility that exists now that didn't exist when I was working on my project. If you don't need/want the ability to customize the looks of the HUD, and the default rendering is fine--that might be the best way to go.

jonmatifa

Reaction score
The SpaceX Dragon addon has a HUD in the 3D cockpit view, whatever they've done to implement that may be useful. I think the easiest solution would be to create a HUD MFD then put it in the external MFD viewer.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
The SpaceX Dragon addon has a HUD in the 3D cockpit view.
You mean, like standard HUD in the virtual cockpit, or something else?

I haven't used [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5442"]SpaceX launch vehicles and Dragon[/ame] and I can't check it in Linux right now.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
It's a seperate screen with the HUD shown on it. You can also activate an external camera if you have CameraMFD installed.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The stock DG also has a HUD in the 3d cockpit view--IIRC the API has the ability to designate a surface as a "HUD surface" for drawing. Don't know if you can use that for an external thing, though...

maxmiztejm

Reaction score
The SpaceX Dragon addon has a HUD in the 3D cockpit view, whatever they've done to implement that may be useful. I think the easiest solution would be to create a HUD MFD then put it in the external MFD viewer.
That's interesting. I will look at, if it will be useful. Thank you!

Glider

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hello. Thank you for ideas. I already tried external MFD, but they didnt solve my problem. I want build simpit with real HUD. The space inviroment will be shown on external big screens. But inside the cockpit infront of the windows i want install glass which reflect HUD information. For that i need add-on, which allow me have external window with HUD information on black background. Will be great if it will be have mirroring setups.
2clv1x.png
jh7kee.png
It is possible with an external graphics client. For example, moving of HUD and MFD rendering in glass cockpit mode to second and third windows can be done by using 3 (or more) swap chains and then modifying existing overlay rendering function of D3D11Client. (See attached screenshot) So you can have external view without any MFD, panels, HUD etc in glass cockpit view. Something also can be done with VC view by HUD and MFD surfaces but in that case you have to turn of rendering of VC mesh.

the same thing can be done for any VC. Dragon's HUD is made by using transparent quad mesh before third MFD screen (which used for CameraMFD). Main problem here is VC mesh and that not all vessels uses VC. (VC HUD surface updated only in VC mode)

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 44

maxmiztejm

Reaction score
hello Glider. Thats exactly, what i need. Pity, that i am not familiar with Orbiter core. And i am not a programer. Maybe my friend can help with this.Thank you! P.s. Is there a possibility make this changes like a plugin?

Last edited:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
P.s. Is there a possibility make this changes like a plugin?
Graphics clients are actually plug-ins, but they can be only run from the Orbiter_ng, which is non-graphics version of Orbiter.