FAR PART 135 "Air Ambulances"

mrspacely

Reaction score
OK, I need some real world pilots or someone familiar with US FAR's who can help me find some info:

I'm searching really hard to find the US FAA regulations on flights being designated as a "Lifeguard" flight, but cannot find anything yet. I want to know if it is illegal to designate your aircraft as a "Lifeguard" flight, when no patient is on board, and the flight is not going to recieve a patient upon arrival to its destination.

If anyone could find a link before I do to the actual regs please post it! I greatly appreciate anyones help!

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Umm, why would you want to know that?

mrspacely

Reaction score
because I work with an air ambulance company who is pushing FAA regulations aside left and right and Im sick of it. Someone is going to get hurt because of this company unless the FAA finds out how illegal thier operations are..

dutchpirate

XR Fleet Skin Designer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is only a reference from the AIM, which is a pilots handbook about the regulations pertaining to flight in the U.S. You might be able to cross reference it with the FARs

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air_traffic/publications/ATpubs/AIM/Chap4/aim0402.html

4-2-4. Aircraft Call Signs
b. Air Ambulance Flights.
Because of the priority afforded air ambulance flights in the ATC system, extreme discretion is necessary when using the term "LIFEGUARD." It is only intended for those missions of an urgent medical nature and to be utilized only for that portion of the flight requiring expeditious handling. When requested by the pilot, necessary notification to expedite ground handling of patients, etc., is provided by ATC; however, when possible, this information should be passed in advance through non-ATC communications systems.

Native Son

Reaction score
I've looked through my FAR/AIM and there seems to be like no FAR on LifeGuard call signs. I've could have missed it...there's a lot of FARs.

Notify the FAA.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Dutchpirate's find easily shows that what they are doing is illegal, assuming that they don't already have immediate medical/rescue intentions at the time they get the callsign.

Chipstone306

Reaction score
because I work with an air ambulance company who is pushing FAA regulations aside left and right and Im sick of it. Someone is going to get hurt because of this company unless the FAA finds out how illegal thier operations are..

From my experiance with Air ambulance companies ( and i have 7 years now...) Your profession is in dire need of regulation and standardization WITH ENFORCEMENT if you do believe that a patients or flight crews life could be at risk you have a duty to report it to the proper authorities before someone is hurt

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Dutchpirate's find easily shows that what they are doing is illegal, assuming that they don't already have immediate medical/rescue intentions at the time they get the callsign.

I would not make things too hot. VFR flights are usually pretty free, you just need to state where and when you lift off, where you want to land and when you roughly approximatly plan to do so.

If you are really a control freak, you would stamp something like "Air ambulance" in the notes section, so that the ATC knows what to expect from you. You can let the ATC change your flight plan afterwards, once you have a patient on board.

And if your company transports ill travellers to their home country, you can include this fact already into the IFR flight plan before you take off.

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
I've got an idea. Talk it over with you're boss. Start with something like:

"Hey, did you watch the game last night?"

and move subtly on to:

"Hey, did you get the feeling that we might be doing illegal stuff?"

Prepare to clear your desk.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Make him an offer he can't refuse.

Native Son

Reaction score
Just make sure its under the table....and no witnesses :p

golden_eye

Reaction score
This is only a reference from the AIM, which is a pilots handbook about the regulations pertaining to flight in the U.S. You might be able to cross reference it with the FARs

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air_traffic/publications/ATpubs/AIM/Chap4/aim0402.html

4-2-4. Aircraft Call Signs
b. Air Ambulance Flights.
Because of the priority afforded air ambulance flights in the ATC system, extreme discretion is necessary when using the term "LIFEGUARD." It is only intended for those missions of an urgent medical nature and to be utilized only for that portion of the flight requiring expeditious handling. When requested by the pilot, necessary notification to expedite ground handling of patients, etc., is provided by ATC; however, when possible, this information should be passed in advance through non-ATC communications systems.

This is exactly what my copy of the 2008 FAR/AIM says. Additionally there is a sub paragraph under it that explains a little more about when you would use the "Lifeguard" call sign. Some of the reasons include: first call to an accident scene, carrying patients, organ donors, organs, or other lifesaving materials.

The section mentions multiple times that the "Lifeguard" call sign should only be used when priority handling is needed for air ambulance type stuff. An airliner having a medical emergency on board probably wouldn't use the "Lifeguard" call sign, for example. I'll keep looking to see if I can find anything else.