OHM Firefly "Jumbo" Transport 2008 Edition

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: shawn beard

The latest edition of the Firefly "Jumbo" Transport spacecraft, last released in 2006, with newly modified engine and flight model parameters. See the readme file(s) in the Doc folder for details and fun tips and tricks. Go to Mars in 15 hours or less! But watch your fuel...

Simply extract the contents of this archive into your main Orbiter directory. Probably a good idea to back them up first, but that's just me and my OCD.

She's a fast pig, but not as fast as what's coming, and which she'll be a part of eventually!

Enjoy!

Warmly,

ZCochrane

DOWNLOAD

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score
Legacy Reviews

Legacy Add-on Reviews from Orbit Hangar Mods

Review by sunshine135
Pros: Everything
Cons: None
Review:
I am soooo happy the Jumbo is back. It was deleted when I reinstalled Orbiter. There she is sitting there in all of her glory. Thanks for bringing her back for others to enjoy!!!!!!

Review by fireflyfan
Pros: Best ship in the 'verse
Cons: none
Review:
The best ship i have ever seen. just as good as the DG_IV.

Carmen A

redneck kitten with pillow :3
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
Ship works perfectly in Orbiter 2010P1.

Infact she has become the primary blockade running ship of Orbiter Multiplayer :3

Fast enough to do interplanetary missions in real time, challenging engine configuration but very rewarding. Just don't run out of fuel.

PS> does anyone have the author's contact?

Carmen A

redneck kitten with pillow :3
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
The Galactica is awesome, and so are the support ships. If I can find some suitably high performance and lower poly ones I'll recommend them for OMP testing (right now putting some Trek ships on the server to catch the Firefly).

Right, Firefly Sport lol. Type R Honda Civic?

Ragtag

Reaction score
Right, Firefly Sport lol. Type R Honda Civic?
More like a Ferrari.

It was also designed to be carried in the cargo bay of the Firefly.

Ship works perfectly in Orbiter 2010P1.

Infact she has become the primary blockade running ship of Orbiter Multiplayer :3

Fast enough to do interplanetary missions in real time, challenging engine configuration but very rewarding. Just don't run out of fuel.

PS> does anyone have the author's contact?

If you are looking for low poly then use the Freefall which was my very first firefly like ship for Orbiter and I'm pretty sure is still available at OH. Stay away from the soon to be released 2011 version of the Firefly as it is high poly due to the complete interior.

Last edited:

emarkay

Reaction score
Yes, that's a mighty fine ship there - and I guess Kaylee did some more tweaking to that powerplant, I reckon...

For those that like their command lists in the Alphabet way, I have attached it along with a page shiny command graphics borrowed from the manual.

I'm just getting started with this one, so there may be changes or clarifications on those, OK? :)

Attachments

• Orbiter Firefly Controls.jpeg
    Orbiter Firefly Controls.jpeg
    444.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 030911OrbirerFireflyCommands.pdf
    42.7 KB · Views: 75

Karibou

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
This is my first post on the board and I hope this is not misplaced.

I've been cursing in Chinese for the past two hours trying to redock my port shuttle to Serenity. No luck

Im a begginner on Orbiter but I have managed to dock the DG and the Falcon Millenium to the ISS so I learned how to use the docking MFD to some extent

My problem here is that I dont see the aligment indicator X in the MFD, I've got the approach path indicator + but without the alignment I'm still basically blind.

Other problem I've found nothing about in the Firefly docs or on the web is how I should approach Serenity's dock. Follow the approach path I suppose but then do I touch down on the rails or should I attempt to dock the shuttle directly INTO Serenity... I'm confused.

I hope there are still some browncoats around to give me a hand with this.

---------- Post added at 07:42 ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 ----------

Hey again...
I realized why I didnt have the alignment marker : my shuttle is set to dock with Serenity's main dock under the command room so that's why the readings are wrong when I try to reattach it to the port side.

I can't find anything to set the docking mfd to dock in the portside shuttle dock... does anybody know?

Last edited by a moderator:

stealthstar

Reaction score
i like it but

It needs a few things. I know it seems like I'm asking to much here but an option that switches the two engines to hover or retro mode would be greatly appreciated so we have VTOL on it and the ability to preform a crazy Ivan (maybe in a crazy Ivan scenario?) would be awesome. And an orbiting earth scenario would be great so we can automatically start off in space. But other than that it looks great and works well with the latest orbiter build. Firefly is one of my favorite shows and I'm so glad someone made a firefly serenity mod. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
It needs a few things. I know it seems like I'm asking to much here but an option that switches the two engines to hover or retro mode would be greatly appreciated so we have VTOL on it and the ability to preform a crazy Ivan (maybe in a crazy Ivan scenario?) would be awesome. And an orbiting earth scenario would be great so we can automatically start off in space. But other than that it looks great and works well with the latest orbiter build. Firefly is one of my favorite shows and I'm so glad someone made a firefly serenity mod. :thumbup:

The engine pods are fully rotatable, both together and separately. Use the keyboard number keys, if I remember correctly (and read the manual!). I've certainly ran it in VTOL mode enough.

And alas, the creator of the Addon has retired, so what we have is what we have. There will likely be no more fixes to this model.

EDIT: Turns out J and K keys swivel the engines, as emarkay mentions two posts above, along with a shiny poster to help in recollection.

Last edited:

stealthstar

Reaction score
The engine pods are fully rotatable, both together and separately. Use the keyboard number keys, if I remember correctly (and read the manual!). I've certainly ran it in VTOL mode enough.

And alas, the creator of the Addon has retired, so what we have is what we have. There will likely be no more fixes to this model.

EDIT: Turns out J and K keys swivel the engines, as emarkay mentions two posts above, along with a shiny poster to help in recollection.

OK OK so I started reading the manual (a habit I'm trying to get into more) Its defiantly more enjoyable once I know how it all works. I'm still getting used to the cargo platforms & the mule though. How do I detach and attach stuff to the cargo hold? the manual is a bit sketchy on this situation. Same question for the mule cargo platform. I'm still trying to figure out how to detach the cargo platform from the mule because its attached to it by default in the scenario.

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
OK OK so I started reading the manual (a habit I'm trying to get into more) Its defiantly more enjoyable once I know how it all works. I'm still getting used to the cargo platforms & the mule though. How do I detach and attach stuff to the cargo hold? the manual is a bit sketchy on this situation. Same question for the mule cargo platform. I'm still trying to figure out how to detach the cargo platform from the mule because its attached to it by default in the scenario.

Can't help you too much there -- I never messed with the cargo systems much for some reason (maybe because it was as confusing as you describe?). I just wheeled around the 'Verse in the Jumbo and her little sister the Sport. I even built a few planets in my own version of the 'Verse to make them feel more at home..

stealthstar

Reaction score
Can't help you too much there -- I never messed with the cargo systems much for some reason (maybe because it was as confusing as you describe?). I just wheeled around the 'Verse in the Jumbo and her little sister the Sport. I even built a few planets in my own version of the 'Verse to make them feel more at home..

Cool, I was confused at the whole cargo thing to so I just closed up the cargo area and took off to explore like you. Now thanks to the R Warp addon I touched just about every planetary body in the local solar system including the sun (No I didn't actually land on the sun) But how can I create more planets? Is it possible to create planets in near by star systems and give those star systems quarantines compatible with R Warp?

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
Modeling your own planets is a bit of a project, but very fun. Google around Orbiter for some tutorials. Otherwise, there is Jedida's [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4942"]Orbiter Galaxy[/ame], which procedurally creates new star systems and the means to get to them. I haven't personally tried it yet, but it's definitely on my to-do list.

Fearless

Reaction score
Works great in Orbiter 2016. I was wondering how I could add the shuttles prior to adding the Jumbo into another scenario. Any ideas?

Fearless

Reaction score
Thanks LP but I tried that. The normal method of docking via scenario editor doesn't seem to work.

CTarana45

Reaction score
Thanks LP but I tried that. The normal method of docking via scenario editor doesn't seem to work.

FFJumbo2008.zip, 15 megabytes, by Jon Marcure and Shawn Beard! Unarchive the files into a temp folder. I use C:\Temp. You should see seven folders that needs to be copied into Orbiter2016! One of the folders, Modules, has everything that Orbiter needs to run the addon! In that folders is another one called, Plugin. In that folder is FFSControl.dll & FFMControl.dll, these are mfds/managers that you need to active to use the shuttles and Cargo sleds!

Christopher Tarana

Fearless

Reaction score
FFJumbo2008.zip, 15 megabytes, by Jon Marcure and Shawn Beard! Unarchive the files into a temp folder. I use C:\Temp. You should see seven folders that needs to be copied into Orbiter2016! One of the folders, Modules, has everything that Orbiter needs to run the addon! In that folders is another one called, Plugin. In that folder is FFSControl.dll & FFMControl.dll, these are mfds/managers that you need to active to use the shuttles and Cargo sleds!

Christopher Tarana

Thanks for that CT, I've already activated those two modules.

CTarana45

Reaction score
Thanks for that CT, I've already activated those two modules.

Ctrl-F4 brings up the manager so you can make changes. Or you use the Function Menu in Orbiter 2016. The shuttles are "Attached" to the Firefly, that process is outlined in the manual!

Christopher Tarana