Forget an elevator, how about a space ramp?

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If it extends to apogee it is also a navigation hazard, a bigger obstacle than a space elevator in fact. And it is also a giant construction project that begs to justify the cost.

palebluevoice

Loud, fat weirdo
Donator
Reaction score
If it extends to apogee it is also a navigation hazard, a bigger obstacle than a space elevator in fact. And it is also a giant construction project that begs to justify the cost.

I'm not writing a paper to send to NASA; its just some hypothetical fun; obviously it has to be somewhat feasible, but I know it's ridiculous. What would be a better idea would be tying movie theater seats to a giant crossbow bolt(with corresponding ballista) with a nuclear warhead for orbital insertion. For landing, a parachute with a methane atmosphere generator(easy cleanup! All you need is one spark!)

Linguofreak

Reaction score
The way I understood the OP, the hypothetical ramp extends to apogee.

If it ascends at a constant angle, as I understand the OP to be proposing, apoapsis will always be higher than the top of the ramp.

Apocynthion, but yes.

In addition to Andy's "navigational hazard" and "extra cost" objections, it is also hurts efficiency for the ramp to be anything other than horizontal.