Software FRAPS with DX9

Atmosphex

Reaction score
Hello! New to the forum but have been using Orbiter on and off for a few years now.

I'm wondering if someone could offer some help, basically as the title suggests, I'm trying to record Orbiter for a little Youtube project. The trouble is the DX9 client crashes every time I try and record the footage through FRAPS.

I really don't want to have to record the original version's graphics if I can help it. Does anybody know if there is a work around with this?

Thanks in advance!

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
Hi there!

Have you tried Open Broadcaster? Better quality vs. size, and Blixel records all his TransX videos with it.

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you are on Windows 10, you can record any game by pressing Win+G. Here is a 30 second video I just recorded of "Donamy's" ISS AtoZ. Framerate before recording was 28 fps. The video itself has a framerate of 13 fps, but I imagine a less intensive add-on to run smoother.
Bitrate is 4800 kbps, 1920x1080. Sound can be recorded, default is 128 kbps, but you can change the audio bitrate.

Last edited:

Atmosphex

Reaction score
Thanks Enjo! That OPS was a good shout, works like a charm, although took me a while to get used to the options!

Interesting that WinX has a native recording function Asbjos. Worth knowing as I've yet to see many reasons to make the cross over. That been said, if it wasn't for the fact I had FSX flight sim installed and actually working ok for a change, I'd probably get download it.

Gazernismar

Reaction score
Sorry to bother , but this seems to be the only thread I can find about Fraps screen capture program. I have a related question about it to ask you guys. Recently I recorded a gameplay video with Fraps and later found it was too big, (the video length is just 10 minutes but the output is near 2G).So I downloaded this software as you can see (http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/compress-fraps-videos.html) to help me compress Fraps videos. But after conversion, the original AVI file got converted into MP4 and I found there was video quality loss and the frame rate also dropped a little. I want to know if you know what parameter values i should set for the best output quality and the smallest size