Idea Free Moving Camera

Stevodoran

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like the ability to move that camera freely when in external view. Kinda like forge in Halo reach you can just move the camera. The default way is good but i would like too see more freedom in the camera.

Thanks for reading,:tiphat:

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Like the camera in Celestia?

Where you could pan around a fixed point as well as around the ship?

Stevodoran

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Like the camera in Celestia?

Where you could pan around a fixed point as well as around the ship?

Ye like that. Also if you press F2 once more thank usual you could use w to move foreward and s to move back. And you clould strafe left and right with a+d.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
You've tried the ground observer mode? Ctrl+F1 in the camera dialog, switch to ground observer mode and you can move the camera any direction. You can also unlock it from the target and point the camera any direction from a fixed point.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
F2 gives you three different view modes, you can Pan the camera by holding the right mouse button and moving around. You can zoom in and out via the scroll wheel. In fact, Orbiter has one of the best set of viewing options of anything I've used.

Last edited:

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
Like Gary said, there are lots of viewing options available in the camera options. From planets and moons to ships and stations. Plus the option to add fixed location views and much more.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
F2 gives you three different view modes, you can Pan the camera by holding the left mouse button and moving around. You can zoom in and out via the scroll wheel. In fact, Orbiter has one of the best set of viewing options of anything I've used.

Right mouse button, it is just like inside the VC.

I can't understand the request as well, if you read the manual, you will find out that orbiter has all the requested features, they are just accessed by a few different key presses.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Thanks Urwupme, that's what get for replying just before I head off to bed. :lol:

One of the fun things to do with Orbiter is to view a vessel then simply pan out to around jupiters orbit. Talk about a long focusing shot.

You've also got a flyby MFD on Orbit Hangar that provides a flyby view of a vessel. Probably the only option that's not available from the F2/Ctrl-F2 menus.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You've also got a flyby MFD on Orbit Hangar that provides a flyby view of a vessel. Probably the only option that's not available from the F2/Ctrl-F2 menus.
Pause, put the camera ahead of the vessel, press Ctrl+F1, press the Ground button, and press Current. Unpause and you will get a flyby view, even in orbit. It's a sluggish way of doing it, but it is possible without any addons.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I've done that. Works great for rocket launches or atmospheric fly pasts. Bit fast for orbital vehicles though. :lol:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've done that. Works great for rocket launches or atmospheric fly pasts. Bit fast for orbital vehicles though. :lol:
It makes a good reminder of just how fast satellites go, though, when they flick past three quarters of a kilometre in a tenth of a second. :lol:

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Pause, put the camera ahead of the vessel, press Ctrl+F1, press the Ground button, and press Current. Unpause and you will get a flyby view, even in orbit. It's a sluggish way of doing it, but it is possible without any addons.

This is what I meant to say in my post above as well. I said Ctrl+F2 and it is indeed Ctrl+F1 to open the camera dialog, sorry about that! Another thing that helps is to slow time down to 0.01x before pausing. Pause, adjust the camera, then un-pause and you get a reasonable fly-by at even orbital velocities. :)

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
Have you tried doing the flyby thing with an Arrow in lunar orbit? I was surprised on how slowly it goes. I think it's because it's so large. Also, from ground view and at ~10 km with autoland active it's impressive too.

rseferino

Orbiter amateur filmmaker
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com

I do this in orbit, and even at 0.1X the ship passed the equivalent of more than 750 m/s.

Said by Tex, about 0.01x, be interesting.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Why? Never passed the ISS retrograde in real time? That is an event. ;)

Reaction score
There was a CamControl addon which permitted pan/rotate relative to a ship's local frame.

I'd disagree that RMB+mouse is the same in external view as in VC. In the VC, your view rotates your head (effectively radius=0) and your observation position remains fixed; in external view, your head effectively remains fixed and your observation position rotates around the camera focus at the radius 'Dist' displayed in the view info top left.

It's equivalent to the difference between RMB/mouse and LMD/mouse in Celestia, or the Orbit/Look around options in Sketchup if you're familiar with that. Sort of 'Ground Observer Mode for Ships' if that makes sense, or a 'UMMU's-eye view'.

The option to pan straight relative to a local (ship) frame, and rotate the camera about its own axis is something I sometimes wish was available in default camera modes, . It's easily done in Ground observer mode on planet surfaces, but not so easy in orbit. I guess there are issues with the new focus point when you revert to rotating camera location around the ship.