Future of energy and the state of the human species

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
I never said anything about biofuels, I said that fossil fuels were a finite resource, and they would stop being a viable source of energy once they became too much effort to extract.

But you did say big problem which I disagree with. It's the talk of speculators driving up the price of oil FAR above real demand.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, yes it is. It's a finite resource. Of course it is going to run out; it is impossible for it not to run out.

There's a solution: make more dinosaurs, kill them off, and wait some for nature to run its course. It would not only solve the problem but we also have the pure awesomeness of a global dino crisis followed by a global dino conflict.

I mean, who hasn't dreamed to face off against a T-Rex with a M2 .50 machine gun?

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
There's a solution: make more dinosaurs, kill them off, and wait some for nature to run its course. It would not only solve the problem but we also have the pure awesomeness of a global dino crisis followed by a global dino conflict.

I mean, who hasn't dreamed to face off against a T-Rex with a M2 .50 machine gun?

Considering most oil is derived from plant like organisms rather than tasty T-Rex (With Jesus riding them of course) steaks I would rather say "GET IN DA CHOPPA!"

Linguofreak

Reaction score
The unfortunate thing is commuters, I commute to work every day doing about 120miles per day. I drive into the outskirts of london and get stuck in traffic. But there is no way I'm parking my car in the middle of nowhere and cycling the rest of the way.

The only reason I drive is that the public transport can't get me to work on time 4/5 days a week. Every single day the train was 10-30minutes late.

Wow... Driving into London every day is your *best* option?

I visited London last summer. When the bus got into the suburbs I thought "Wow, we're an hour or two ahead of schedule and we're already in the suburbs. Suburbs means we can't be more than half an hour or so away. We're going to be early." Nope. We arrived at the Victoria bus station just about on time.

So, having seen London traffic for myself, I'd say you must have nerves of steel to remain sane if driving into London every day is your best option for getting to work.

Sky Captain

Reaction score
IIRC at some point during cold war there was idea of excavating huge undreground chamber under granite mountain, lining it with meters thick steel and then partially filling with water. Then the plan was to set off H bombs in the chamber at some predeterminated rate and using the steam produced to drive huge multi GW turbines to generate power.