Project G42-200 StarLiner

icedown

Reaction score
The way I fly from takeoff is begin to rotate at 105m/s. Once I'm in the air, i keep my pitch down, usually around 7-8 degrees until I reach 200m/s ias. I then pitch up and maintain that speed until I hit mach 0.75, then pitch up to maintain 0.75 for the rest of the climb to 10km. Once I'm to 10km I level out a bit to accelerate to mach 0.85. Then fire the AB and climb at about 8 degrees through mach 1.55 then shut them down. Pitch down and maintain a small climb with a little acceleration to hit mach 1.75 at about 14km. At that point it's time to light the ramcaster.

The only time I use the afterburners is the supersonic transition.

Last edited:

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
a Mach .75 climb out is a good number. I dont have the conversion infront of me, but a good rule is climb at about 285 kts until that equals Mach .75, then hold at Mach.75 Of course this varies by aircraft. The newer and bigger airliners climb and cruise at higher speeds than the old stuff, but the G42 is a big and heavy bird, with a lot of equipment that is not operational during the sub-sonic climb out, so I tend to shoot for a M.75 myself. At about 10km or so, then pitch down and gain speed. Hit those afterburners and use them until time for Ramcaster ignition. That is the best method I have used so far. The main turbine engines are quite efficient. Not much left over fuel is required for re-lighting them and using them for a 3 degree glidepath approach into your runway of choice.

sitha241

Reaction score
I don't understand that ram-T1 convrg.I loose airspeed constantly and I dont have this ( ramcaster - ignition, confirm (audible "boom" and MODE:LO shown on eicas) ) on eicas, I did all things 'by the book' :/

icedown

Reaction score
I don't understand that ram-T1 convrg.I loose airspeed constantly and I dont have this ( ramcaster - ignition, confirm (audible "boom" and MODE:LO shown on eicas) ) on eicas, I did all things 'by the book' :/

Prior to reaching T1, make sure your ramcaster fuel pump is on, it's between the fuel pumps for the turbines. Also check your ramcaster door is open. Open the ramcaster throttle to about 60% using the hover keys (0 and . on the number pad). Once your airspeed (mach 1.75) and altitude( 14km) are in the first small circle on the eicas flip the ignition switch and you should hear the boom and get an instant acceleration. Cut your turbines and push the ramcaster to full throttle.

Last edited:

sitha241

Reaction score
Tnx Icedown :D also I am having a problem and dont know where to post it..sometime when I am playing orbiter cursor just vanish :/ like just 5 min ago when I was implementing your advice, and I had to pres alt f4 yust prior to T3 :/

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
OK, two questions, a comment, and a tip:
Questions:
1. What's the coordinate for the bottom of the nose wheel? I am trying to integrate the G42 into kulch's Heavy Steam Catapult, and I need that coordinate.
2. Is there any chance you could add thrust reversers like the Concorde's for backing up on the ground without outside support?

Comment:
Taxiing is a pain in the :censored:. You need to throttle up to about 46-49% dry thrust just to keep moving, and to about 60% to break loose and start moving.

Tip:
Put the wings into reentry mode while taxiing. You take up less tarmac. :)

PrestonJames

Reaction score
Moach, I am trying to add an attachment point to the g42's front landing gear so it can be towed. Can you tell me the coordinates right above the front wheels when the gear is deployed?

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
hey there - sorry for the lower-than-desirable attendance lately, real life is getting at it again, you know how it is....

my able time seems to make itself available over some bizarre cycle for some reason...

anyways, coordinates for the gear touchdown points are defined by the following code:
Code:
#define V3_TOUCHDOWN_C _V( 0.0,      -5.16009, 34.7891)
#define V3_TOUCHDOWN_L _V(-5.25783, -5.74195, -4.22095)
#define V3_TOUCHDOWN_R _V( 5.25783, -5.74195, -4.22095)

simple enough right? :rolleyes:

cheers! - :cheers:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
OK, next question: How big is the payload bay? in other words, what's the biggest diameter and length module you can fit in the bay?

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
i'm afraid little of interesting things have happened in the last few weeks.... you know, real life, as usual, getting in the way :rolleyes:

i'm sure i'll find myself with some able time at hand soon enough, 'til then... just thinking up new ideas and trying to keep my head somewhere i can see it (lest it flies away) :p

this project is very much alive nonetheless... and it has come to my attention the newer releases of the D3D9 graphics client already support the much needed specular/emissive mapping features i was hoping for - and hey, that's very very good news :thumbup:

Dumbrarere

Reaction score
HOT!!!

That is one hot looking spacecraft! You are god!!

One question though, is it possible you can make a passenger varient of this spacecraft?

PrestonJames

Reaction score
A quick question for anyone who flies the g42: which autopilots (if any) are you using for reentries? I haven't been able to find one that can handle it without making it a wilder ride than my manual reentries.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
autopilots?? why? :lol:

i usually just use a steady hand and aerobrakeMFD - maybe with a little help from attitudeMFD to help keep the nose still during early interface :rolleyes:

but ok, i reckon a proper autopilot would be the next big thing to do, right? now, if only i could spare some able time to pull that off....

which reminds me... there's a bunch of stuff i need to reinstall on that home rig since the last major upgrade - stuff like 3dsMax and MSVC are still missing (formatting is a drag, is it not?)

no data was lost - the contents of my now deprecated 80gb drive are safely stored on the bigger ones, and all G42-related stuff is dropboxed, so no worries there :hmm:

btw - i just got back from vacation... i had some hopes of getting work done on the '42 during it, but with the upgrade and all i got pretty much sidetracked

not sure when i'll be able to get more progress on this... but i'll keep you posted - project ain't dead :thumbup:

:cheers:

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
autopilots?? why? :lol:

i usually just use a steady hand and aerobrakeMFD - maybe with a little help from attitudeMFD to help keep the nose still during early interface :rolleyes:

but ok, i reckon a proper autopilot would be the next big thing to do, right? now, if only i could spare some able time to pull that off....

I'd rather see payload management, and perhapse UCCGO support than an autopilot. As you say, with a steady hand and the proper MFDs who needs it? ;)

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Well, the most pressing matter I see with this vessel is getting certain MFDs to work with it. The way it handles the engines, certain MFDs just dont work with it, like BurnTimeCalc, because it doesnt think you have any engines.

And in case anyone was wondering, AutoFCS does not work at all with this.

zerofay32

Buckeye
Reaction score
I'd rather see payload management, and perhapse UCCGO support than an autopilot. As you say, with a steady hand and the proper MFDs who needs it? ;)

I second payload management. With this, the bird begins to do more then just look good.

Those that can't manually re-enter, land, rendezvous, and launch (needs MFDs to tell them what to do) can all wait. :thumbup:

(My opinion is, if you cant do a mission on with the default MFDs, default autopilots, and maybe one other MFD; you need more practice in the Delta Glider. This ship demands to be hand flown.) :lol: