Project Gemini-Titan 2 for Orbiter 2016

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yes, the capsule should be independent from the launcher. I suggest you use Multistage Titans with the capsule as a live payload.
There were fuel display gauges for each Titan stage on the cockpit, but I don't think there was any other relation. The Titan was not controlled from the capsule.

That is wrong - the Titan could have been controlled by the capsule, especially in abort situations. But normally, the Titan controlled the capsule.
Especially for the abort situations, I think its better to have our own implementation of the GLV, but of course, I wouldn't forbid anybody to launch the Gemini on another rocket.

The problem here is free time to complete it...
So my suggestion is to implement a simple generic 2D panel like on Mercury X.

Don't worry, this is all the plan for a whole year. Even a rough VC in that time would be better than none. Of course, with VC, also mean the rest of the (visible) interior and I want to focus on the commander position there anyway, since the pilot was mostly busy handling subsystems which I won't implement in the next year.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
You are right, there was a backup Ascent computer program :salute:

The simplest way to implement the VC is by adding detailed meshes for each panel part, placed on top of the existing mesh...
But let's think about that later on, it requires some planning.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You are right, there was a backup Ascent computer program :salute:

The simplest way to implement the VC is by adding detailed meshes for each panel part, placed on top of the existing mesh...
But let's think about that later on, it requires some planning.

Yes, Also I am not sure if that is really the easiest way. I think having specialized meshes would be easier, since there are less side-effects between "low-quality interior" and VC.

Again, its not urgent, just one design decision I took now.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I haven't forgotten that I said I'd help with this, just have a few big projects that need to be finished first, so I'm not working with split focus.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I haven't forgotten that I said I'd help with this, just have a few big projects that need to be finished first, so I'm not working with split focus.

No hurry, I just decided to kick most of the old framework overboard and use attachments instead of multistageX.h. Plan to have the big architectural changes done next week for the first interim release.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Found 597 pages of fun.... lots of information about GLV and GATV development.

full

Source: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/19670076796

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
I think that's a great decision - a more detailed Titan II implementation makes sense. Specially if you have the technical data.

Wikipedia mentions the AC Spark Plug system. The name sounds like something from Kerbal!

This book seems relevant:

Check page 8:

It was also used on Titan III and Saturn I. Perhaps you can make some room on your code for future Titan III support (an extra rocket type parameter or status).

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think that's a great decision - a more detailed Titan II implementation makes sense. Specially if you have the technical data.

Wikipedia mentions the Delco Universal Space Guidance System. The name sounds like something from Kerbal!
It was also used on Titan III and Saturn I. Perhaps you can make some room on your code for future Titan III support (an extra rocket type parameter or status).

Well, you could of course fork the GLV stages then and create an extension for the Titan III stages. But the GLV used a unique guidance, an improved version of the TARS guidance used for Titan I. So, its unlikely that there will be much support for other guidance systems soon, but I can try to pay attention to leave enough easily-found seams for you modify things later.

The code will be relatively straight forward, but there will be a GeminiCommon.dll library soon, where I want to put common code and base classes. But that will come after the second stage is also refactored.

barrygolden

Reaction score
You guys are doing a great job with this. I would like to see the GT 9 mission with the ATDA able to dock and the AMU in the back. You might check with gattis about this for he has done both of those

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You guys are doing a great job with this. I would like to see the GT 9 mission with the ATDA able to dock and the AMU in the back. You might check with gattis about this for he has done both of those

If @gattispilot feels comfortable with contributing to the project, sure, no problem. I could also need newer capsule meshes, there are some small bugs around and many details like EVA handrails or antennas are missing.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Some tiny progress for the lunch break:

I managed to rotate the first stage mesh by 90°, so its now properly aligned and I can use the definitions of the GLV documentation for implementing the behaviour of the stage.

Also, I included a small temporary autopilot, that is using the engine gimbals for letting the stage lift-off straight. I'll move the actual guidance into the second stage later, but for now its OK. It looks a bit scary when the strong winds in Orbiter push the stage sideways during lift-off, I think I will put a reminder into the manual to disable winds for Gemini.

Codewise, the test framework and some other support stuff has now moved into a GeminiCommon.dll that is automatically included in all projects of the solution that depend on it.

Still have to see if I get this tiny subproject with the launchers finished before the planned first prototype release next Tuesday

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Looks good. "Small" stuff like getting mesh orientation right takes time but makes a difference.

99% of the time was me having to find out how to rotate many groups in Blender at once and how to save the mesh again. Yeah, I am a Blender noob. I admit it. But at least, I don't give up.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Blender works mostly through keyboard commands.
You should feel at home coming from a programming / command line background (y)

Hey, I am just human. ?

The second stage will get a tougher nut to crack, the roll thruster is in the wrong position. Closer and smaller to the main combustion chamber, than in the drawings (There it is almost at the edge of the aft skirt of that stage), also it has to get rotated down by 30° from its current position (Which might explain why it is so close to center - perspective).

This will get a full rework I fear. So later. I'll fix the second stage now and then look at building up new launch scenarios.

1987VCRProductions

Reaction score
Nice to see the old Gemini add on getting a proper update! One thing I look forward to is doing an M=1 rendezvous with Gemini 11. It would be cool to launch the Atlas Agena/ATDA and then be able to launch to it and dock in the same scenario, though that might be too ambitious.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Nice to see the old Gemini add on getting a proper update! One thing I look forward to is doing an M=1 rendezvous with Gemini 11. It would be cool to launch the Atlas Agena/ATDA and then be able to launch to it and dock in the same scenario, though that might be too ambitious.

Can be done - but likely not in 2021.