Project genericvessel - spacecraft3 and multistage2 replacement project

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Sounds good, although the features list seems fairly technical. I take it that the reference-per-class thing refers to the issue of spacecraft3 treating all of its vessels as one class, instead of as individual classes? That would be helpful, as I think the current method limits you to something like 16 instances of the vessel type in a scenario.

Kendo

Reaction score
Bruce. You can rename the sc3 ini to cfg, and put it in the Vessels folder. Then make a simple ini file of the same name and put in the Spacecraft folder. They will both have to be linked to Genericvessel.
That way you can choose from the vessel folder using the Scenario editor.
You only need one instance, for example, satelite, then in the scenario file just use satelite_a, satelite_b etc etc. Hope this is clear.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Bruce. You can rename the sc3 ini to cfg, and put it in the Vessels folder. Then make a simple ini file of the same name and put in the Spacecraft folder. They will both have to be linked to Genericvessel.
That way you can choose from the vessel folder using the Scenario editor.
You only need one instance, for example, satelite, then in the scenario file just use satelite_a, satelite_b etc etc. Hope this is clear.

Ah, so it allows us to simplify the structure of the add-on while still using old configs? I do wonder why vinka chose that structure for the add-on (pointing to INI files in a separate folder) instead of simply reading straight from a config file. Its just an odd way of doing things I guess...

Kendo

Reaction score
Also of course, you can mix with SC3. If you don,t want to clutter the vessels folder, and just need simple SC3 files you can do just that. Keeping the Vessel folder for just the main stuff that you need several of.

Kendo

Reaction score
Just a little question, I noticed with Artlav.s last version, the Spacecraft, Spacecraft2 and Spacecraft3 config files have genericvessel in them. Would it be advisable to NOT copy these over so people still have the original Spacecraft configs, but can also use genericvessel directly from the module.? I have a mod ready, and I am using genericvessel and don,t want to upset peoples Spacecraft configs.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Just a little question, I noticed with Artlav.s last version, the Spacecraft, Spacecraft2 and Spacecraft3 config files have genericvessel in them. Would it be advisable to NOT copy these over so people still have the original Spacecraft configs, but can also use genericvessel directly from the module.? I have a mod ready, and I am using genericvessel and don,t want to upset peoples Spacecraft configs.

I guess you mean in your own distribution package. In this case, I'd say there is no need to overwrite the SC configs in a dedicated genericvessel add-on.

In addition, genericvessel is not finished or even tested that much, so chances are high some people's SC3 add-on installs get messed up with an unwanted genericvessel drop-in.

regards,
Face

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
I did test generic vessel when it came out and ended up with messed up Orbiter installs because the SC configs got overwritten.
Since (at least at the time) generic vessel didn't show the discarded multistage stages, I ended up rolling back to the standard sc3+multistage.

But I had to copy the original files from a clean orbiter install and it was a lot of fuss.

So... I'd say leave the sc configs alone :lol:!

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I did test generic vessel when it came out and ended up with messed up Orbiter installs because the SC configs got overwritten.
Since (at least at the time) generic vessel didn't show the discarded multistage stages, I ended up rolling back to the standard sc3+multistage.

But I had to copy the original files from a clean orbiter install and it was a lot of fuss.

Since genericvessel never "came out" in the sense of a release, I would anyway suggest people to NOT release add-ons solely based on its SC3 compatibility. If anything at all, just include a link in the documentation to the project and/or the exact download URL to the binary you used to develop.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Would it be possible, BTW, to add a switch for entering the data in US imperial format, than in SI units?

Not that I like it, but much information about US vehicles is in this unit system.

Kendo

Reaction score
The only thing that gets overwritten are the Spacecraft/ Spacecraft,Spacecraft2 and Spacecraft3 files. eg:

(original)
ClassName = Spacecraft3
Module = Spacecraft3

(new)
ClassName = Spacecraft3
Module = Genericvessel

Easy to alter back.

Kendo

Reaction score
Does genericvessel support custom exhaust textures.?

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Does genericvessel support custom exhaust textures.?

From the current tree of my repository, I can see that neither genericvessel.cpp nor the xves parser takes [TEX_x] section and <thruster>_TEX fields into account, so I'd say "no, not currently". Maybe Artlav has a newer version, though.

Kendo

Reaction score
Thanks Face. Really, genericvessel needs to be as good as, or better than SC3. I needs a lot of work to be really useful. The only reason I used genericvessel for my Eagle, was to be able to choose the pods as Vessels within the Scenario Editor. On saying that, I realise its going to difficult to get there.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Really, genericvessel needs to be as good as, or better than SC3. I needs a lot of work to be really useful. The only reason I used genericvessel for my Eagle, was to be able to choose the pods as Vessels within the Scenario Editor.

Well, that's the first project goal, of course. I hope you did not get the impression that it is finished 3 month after the project start announcement, because that's definitely not the case. That it is good enough to create basic add-ons already is just showing its progress.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'm getting CTDs with all of the included scenarios in the latest GenericVessel version(May 19 2013). It's not a conflict problem as I have tried it both with the inline client and D3D9Client with OrbiterSound and any other plug-ins deactivated.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'm getting CTDs with all of the included scenarios in the latest GenericVessel version(May 19 2013). It's not a conflict problem as I have tried it both with the inline client and D3D9Client with OrbiterSound and any other plug-ins deactivated.

That's very probable, as the latest merge-in into my branch was Artlav's reload patch, and I did not test it all that much. I'd recommend to either use Artlav's version directly ( https://bitbucket.org/face/genericvessel/get/Artlav\reload.zip ), or simply use the one before the merge-in ( https://bitbucket.org/face/genericvessel/get/Face\master.zip ).

Of course you can also go back to Artlav's main branch ( https://bitbucket.org/face/genericvessel/get/Artlav\master.zip ).

Please keep in mind that this is merely source code. Not every version contains a corresponding DLL snapshot. To see the binary snapshots in the system, use this: https://bitbucket.org/face/genericvessel/history-node/tip/Modules/genericvessel.dll .

There you can see that the second to last binary snapshot is actually from this version: https://bitbucket.org/face/genericvessel/get/e19b90a15c9493d1a459ffe26a5499376febb922.zip

regards,
Face

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
That's very probable, as the latest merge-in into my branch was Artlav's reload patch, and I did not test it all that much. I'd recommend to either use Artlav's version directly ( https://bitbucket.org/face/genericvessel/get/Artlav\reload.zip ), or simply use the one before the merge-in ( https://bitbucket.org/face/genericvessel/get/Face\master.zip ).

Of course you can also go back to Artlav's main branch ( https://bitbucket.org/face/genericvessel/get/Artlav\master.zip ).

Please keep in mind that this is merely source code. Not every version contains a corresponding DLL snapshot. To see the binary snapshots in the system, use this: https://bitbucket.org/face/genericvessel/history-node/tip/Modules/genericvessel.dll .

There you can see that the second to last binary snapshot is actually from this version: https://bitbucket.org/face/genericvessel/get/e19b90a15c9493d1a459ffe26a5499376febb922.zip

regards,
Face
Thanks, Artlav's version is CTD-free. How is the reload function called?

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Ctrl+F4 to open the custom functions menu, then pick "GenericVessel editor".
It's supposed to be a live-fire editor for the sc3 code of current vessel, but currently only the reload button works, and you have to use an external editor to do the actual changes.