Giant Hurricane Sandy

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm surprised there isn't a thread on this yet. We on the East Coast are cringing in fear as the weather gods decide our fate over the next 72 hours or so. I've about had it with excessive rain and power outages lately, but it looks like I have to grit my teeth and suffer through some more.

New York City is freaking out and shutting down everything. They are worried the subway tunnels will flood.

hurricane-sandy-projected-path.jpg

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The whole Northeast will be majorly affected by this. Not only will the airports undoubtedly shut down, but the Northeast Corridor will likely close preemptively around New York because the tunnels into Penn Station go under the Hudson and East rivers. The rest of the route will likely be affected by downed wires and local flooding (Irene flooded out the Trenton station completely) so the whole area is in for it.

llarian

Reaction score
Yeah, it could be bad. However as I write this, Sandy has not yet made a turn toward the coast ... she's still heading northeast.

Interesting watching these weather systems line up, though. This could be fun.

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
It came past here a few days ago, not much rain, but a lot of wind, good luck to those up north :cheers:

sitha241

Reaction score
I have a friend studying in NY and few minutes ago he said to me it is not that bad as the news said..only that people panic and went mad on shopping food and water..But he said that wind's are just 70 km/h..Maybe to him that are mild winds because we are used to winds up to 200 km/h sometimes..
Hope that it will just scratch the coast..

FADEC

Reaction score
I have a friend studying in NY and few minutes ago he said to me it is not that bad as the news said...

Sadly this is usual these days. They either exaggerate or present superficial knowledge.

only that people panic and went mad on shopping food and water..

Caused by the exaggeration in the news :)

I still remember the doomsday preaching when the Second Gulf War was about to begin. Some of my teachers even announced WWIII as a potentially nuclear war :facepalm: People just went crazy and filled their store rooms, right here in the middle of Germany.

I personally like exceptional circumstances. Not wars of course. But natural spectacles, as long as no one gets hurt. Would be just the right time to visit New York. I love empty cities when it's raining or stormy, like it was the case in NY when hurricane Irene was under way.

But anyway, I wish everyone who is involved that it just passes by without damage to persons.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
This storm is bad, anyone saying otherwise is kidding themselves. Here's the deal:

This storm is 'only' a Category 1 right? Well, this Category 1 is producing storm surge equal of that of a Category 3, 9 to 11 feet, and has been exceeding storm surge forecasts along the coast. This is because the deep pressure in Hurricane Sandy has, instead of causing the storm to intensify, has caused its wind field to exponentially expand, the 35kt wind field extends at a diameter of 1040 miles, making this the second largest hurricane ever recorded in the Atlantic basin. The larger the wind field, the more waves it will kick up, simple physics. So you're having an area of storm surge a thousand miles wide, and remember it only takes 6 inches of standing water to make cars float away. The news is failing to mention this, but this happened with Isaac in August, and Ike in 2008, and was a lot worse than the people were expecting, because the mindset was 'it was only a Category (insert number lower than 3)'.

The point is, it's very bad to be complacent with this one. Hurricane Irene, which caused 11+ billion dollars in damage along the coast, went in moving along side the coast, protecting the major cities from major storm surge. However, this one is moving in perpendicular, causing all the waves to pile up around Long Island, etc. Also, Irene was moving at 30-40mph, and was gone in a day, and was only a tropical storm by the time it hit the New England coast. Sandy will be strengthening due to baroclinic processes associated with a front, dumping cool air into the system, making it a hybrid system. The hurricane center recognizes however, that Sandy still has a warm cored structure, making it a hurricane instead of a non-tropical cyclone.

Last edited:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
This storm is bad, anyone saying otherwise is kidding themselves. Here's the deal:

This storm is 'only' a Category 1 right? Well, this Category 1 is producing storm surge equal of that of a Category 3, 9 to 11 feet, and has been exceeding storm surge forecasts along the coast. This is because the deep pressure in Hurricane Sandy has, instead of causing the storm to intensify, has caused its wind field to exponentially expand, the 35kt wind field extends at a diameter of 1040 miles, making this the second largest hurricane ever recorded in the Atlantic basin. The larger the wind field, the more waves it will kick up, simple physics. So you're having an area of storm surge a thousand miles wide, and remember it only takes 6 inches of standing water to make cars float away. The news is failing to mention this, but this happened with Isaac in August, and Ike in 2008, and was a lot worse than the people were expecting, because the mindset was 'it was only a Category (insert number lower than 3)'.

The point is, it's very bad to be complacent with this one. Hurricane Irene, which caused 11+ billion dollars in damage along the coast, went in moving along side the coast, protecting the major cities from major storm surge. However, this one is moving in perpendicular, causing all the waves to pile up around Long Island, etc. Also, Irene was moving at 30-40mph, and was gone in a day, and was only a tropical storm by the time it hit the New England coast. Sandy will be strengthening due to baroclinic processes associated with a front, dumping cool air into the system, making it a hybrid system. The hurricane center recognizes however, that Sandy still has a warm cored structure, making it a hurricane instead of a non-tropical cyclone.

Ah so the devil's in the storm surge and affecting time, not the rainfall rate or wind speed right? Thanks for explaining - the category 1 status made me wonder since we got several of these hitting around every year, but deadly storm surges has not been seen for more than twenty years. The closest thing we had was in July (ironically I was in Japan and missed it), when one typhoon slowed down and made a sharp turn, eventually landing 250 km off as a category 4.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Ah so the devil's in the storm surge and affecting time, not the rainfall rate or wind speed right? Thanks for explaining - the category 1 status made me wonder since we got several of these hitting around every year, but deadly storm surges has not been seen for more than twenty years. The closest thing we had was in July (ironically I was in Japan and missed it), when one typhoon slowed down and made a sharp turn, eventually landing 250 km off as a category 4.

Mainly, yes, the storm surge is the big issue. However, the wind issue isn't very good, while it will be only 60mph+, remember it's going to be over a 500+ mile radius away from the center, so people will be feeling strong tropical storm force winds for over a day. That will take its toll on the trees, powerlines, etc. So I expect massive power outages and tree damage because of that. The rain isn't as big as an issue as it was with Irene, but flooding is expected from it as you would from any hurricane.

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
Andy, Doug, and any other of the Mid-Atlantic to North Eastern Orbinauts:
Hope you all are are staying safe. I'm hunkered down here in Alexandria with my supplies, hoping that we don't bare too much of the brunt of it.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Andy, Doug, and any other of the Mid-Atlantic to North Eastern Orbinauts:
Hope you all are are staying safe. I'm hunkered down here in Alexandria with my supplies, hoping that we don't bare too much of the brunt of it.

Yeah I don't have a generator but I have enough food and water to go a few days. I figure the power is sure to go out at some point but at least I don't live in Maryland with PEPCO's lousy service.

You aren't near the Old Town Potomac waterfront or Four Mile Run are you? Those places typical get wailed on by flooding in Alexandria.

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah I don't have a generator but I have enough food and water to go a few days. I figure the power is sure to go out at some point but at least I don't live in Maryland with PEPCO's lousy service.

You aren't near the Old Town Potomac waterfront or Four Mile Run are you? Those places typical get wailed on by flooding in Alexandria.
I'm near the Huntington Metro station, far enough way from Old Town thankfully. I'm a little worried about a couple of colleagues and friends who do live down by the water. Stay dry and safe!

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Can't say anything except stay hunkered down and stay safe. Thoughts your way and, for those who like this sort of things, prayers too. These are the times when being "crazy prepared" pays off...