Giant Hurricane Sandy

Bibi Uncle

50% Orbinaut, 50% Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
We will have some heavy rains in Québec City in the next days. However, I'm pretty sure that starting from Ottawa, the storm will decrease in severity before hitting Québec.

Goold luck for those who lives in New York and Pennsylvania.

Keatah

Reaction score
Coney Island underwater, some rooftops still visible.

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

Ocean city underwater too.. damn..

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

New Jersey reactors shut down and 14,000+ flights canceled.

PaulG

Reaction score
I live in CT and only 30 minutes from New London, I actually work in the next town over. Your suggestion below is exactly what I thought when I first read this post. Though, just one town over is Mystic Seaport with old whaling vessels. These have survived numerous storms. In fact, they have been preparing for Sandy. They survived Irene easily.

http://www.theday.com/article/20110827/NWS01/308279960

Since it started in Connecticut last weeks, according to n122vu's unformation, the ship most likely tried to use the rather favorable north winds to get past the hurricane, before it gets too close to the coast. Staying in Connecticut would likely have destroyed the ship in port.

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Saw some images that people were uploading to twitter. It is obvious that this storm has caused some major damage. I can only hope that they have a far better game plan for this than Katrina. We do not need people suing to stay in their contaminated FEMA trailers two years from now.

And I had to facepalm of an MSNBC story about people staying in evacuated areas with the excuse that the shelters are not convenient for them. That they somehow see into the future and know they will not have to tie up badly needed rescue assets to save their sorry butts.

I wonder what percentage of those even have 2 weeks worth of battery power radio? Much less two weeks of food and clean water.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Uh oh.... :uhh:

My cousin posted this pic on FB of the Enterprise Pavilion on the Intrepid in NYC. the bubble has deflated

A6bCZYcCQAArnul.jpg:large

Pablo49

Reaction score
Even up here in the Cleveland, Ohio area we are getting a pretty good pounding. Power was out earlier, schools preemptively closed for tomorrow. Not much in the way of rain fortunately, we've had flooding problems from hurricane remnants in the past.

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
The D.C. region was spared too much of the damage. We had a massive tree come down in the parking lot of my apartment, but it managed to not hit anything. We lost power for about 10 minutes and internet for a few hours. Hope everyone else is okay!

FADEC

Reaction score
I hope no one of this community is too seriously affected beyond material damage. I watched the news a few minutes ago. More than 10 deaths so far. Millions of people have no electricity. Already a quarter million of people in New York have no electricity. Manhattan is flooded. So meteorologists sadly were right with all of their predictions.

Tonight was doomsday night in the German television by the way. They showed unscientific documentaries regarding global climate change. I knew it was coming. I really miss serious journalism these days. As tragic as it is, but this is not the apocalypse. My gosh! Why can't people just calm down and stay rational, especially those who aren't affected at all; sitting in their warm armchair thousands of miles away :facepalm:

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
A single Hurricane makes no climate change...

But doomsday is a suitable term for what I can see so far. I hope nobody feels insulted by that opinion, but I am really relieved that it is not me who has to clean up this mess.

FADEC

Reaction score
A single Hurricane makes no climate change...

This is what really annoys me. They put togehther different comments from meterologists (mostly divorced from the context) and mix it with dramatic pictures from different storms and floodings and say that this is what you are going to experience in front of your entry door soon, because there is Sandy underway.

But doomsday is a suitable term for what I can see so far. I hope nobody feels insulted by that opinion, but I am really relieved that it is not me who has to clean up this mess.

Indeed.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Had Enterprise got its own building, would she be spared? (I am asking because apparently New York got quite some bit of damage, including flooding of the subway under four feet of water)

As we learned from Buran, weather can be stronger than buildings.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Yes, but buildings are stronger than an inflated tarp. NYC drops the ball once again.

As for the DC area, it ain't really over until the rain lets up and the swollen creeks have some time to drain, but we never did get the butt-kicking we were told to expect.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
ah well... now its iconically broken, like the liberty bell :hmm:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Wasn't that mainly from years of lack of proper building inspections and maintenance? I remember reading that the roof collapsed because nobody cleared the roof of excessive snow buildups leading to the inevitable collapse.