IMFD Global reboot of IMFD

MaddogK

Reaction score
I'm having issues setting up my return to earth from the moon with IMFD because I keep setting the wrong values and can't seem to get the program data cleared properly before re-entering the data. I know pressing the minus key with the program highlighted (in the course menu's) will clear the particular programs data, but is there a way to globally reboot the IMFD module ?

Last edited:

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Solution1-Unshared IMFDs:
On the other side, open up a new IMFD. It will be completely fresh, with no plan set.

Solution2-Shared IMFDs:
If you where already sharing the data from one side, hit the MNU button of both IMFDs and look at which side is shared. One of them should say "Shared ID-x" with x being either 0 for sharing from the left, or 1 for sharing from the right.
Stop sharing the data and you will have a fresh IMFD on that side.

MaddogK

Reaction score
Solution1-Unshared IMFDs:
On the other side, open up a new IMFD. It will be completely fresh, with no plan set.

Solution2-Shared IMFDs:
If you where already sharing the data from one side, hit the MNU button of both IMFDs and look at which side is shared. One of them should say "Shared ID-x" with x being either 0 for sharing from the left, or 1 for sharing from the right.
Stop sharing the data and you will have a fresh IMFD on that side.

So the one that gets the ID change would be the 'fresh' one ?

If that's the case, then couldn't I then change the ID of the other one to share with the new one, then unshare it clearing that one too ?

:)

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Sure, as soon as you have a fresh one on one side, you can share it with the other. This will also reset the "used" side but it will be shared. For completely fresh unshared IMFDs on both sides you will have to unshare them again.

Edit: Should have read the whole post. Yeah it's the way you describe it.

MaddogK

Reaction score
Sure, as soon as you have a fresh one on one side, you can share it with the other. This will also reset the "used" side but it will be shared. For completely fresh unshared IMFDs on both sides you will have to unshare them again.
<edit> I tried this over the weekend, and it seems the one with the incorrect data is falling back to incorrect data after sharing to the 'fresh' one, then unsharing it.

Ultimately tho' I figured out why I keep entering the incorrect data to begin with, after following a certain tutorial I was setting up (per the tut) with the wrong ref and the orbit eject program was tossing me out on the earths orbit of the sun, not toward the earth as I wished. I finally made it back alive with fuel to spare when I setup IMFD by my best guesses with what I learned from the tut. I got into a bad habit of expecting it to do everything better than the other instruments. My bad, lesson learned.

Last edited:

Tommy

Reaction score
IMFD is somewhat persistent, even between sessions. The only way to FULLY clear IMFD is to:

Ensure no IMFD is active in any MFD - set them both to Orbit or something.

Exit the simulation.

CLOSE THE LAUNCHPAD. Orbiter must be fully closed to clear IMFD completely.

Restart Orbiter, launch "Current Scenario".

However, you can usually clear a course from Target Intercept by targeting a different body temporarily.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
<edit> I tried this over the weekend, and it seems the one with the incorrect data is falling back to incorrect data after sharing to the 'fresh' one, then unsharing it.

Yeah IMFD can be persistent sometimes. I had tried that trick in the past and it worked sometimes, but it seems that it won't work with the latest IMFD.

If you want to avoid exiting the simulation, another thing you can do is to open an external MFD, (you will need to have ExternalMFD activated in the modules tab) and link the one with the incorrect data to the fresh external MFD. (ID-10). Then you can close the external one and you will have a fresh MFD.

However, as Tommy already pointed out, there is no reason to need a "fresh" IMFD when you setup an incorrect course program.

MaddogK

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I get the feeling the tut I was using was written for an older version of IMFD but at least I picked up a few thing by trial and error (mostly error, ;). Lately I've had to resort to daily scenerio edits as the saved current crashes orbiter on launch, and on exit I get another orbiter crash screen. When I edit out the MFD section in the scn file orbiter launches and runs fine for hours till I shut down the sim.

<shrug>

I'll wipe the entire scenerio and start over when I get back from mars.

Last edited: