Having some trouble flying...

OrbitalConfusion

Reaction score
I was wondering if some of you might be able to give me some tips when flying in FSX. I've been working with it for 2 years now and although I can do alot, there are still things I cant do well. Basic things...

1) Staying on a glide slope. Depending on what im using whether it be ILS to guide me in or VFR and using the 4 lights. I cant seem to keep a stable 'slope. Usually I will have 3 lights on and come in that way. The thought process behind it is its easier to loose a little altitude than to gain it.

2) Staying lined up on landing. This one is tough. I dont know if its because its harder to line up on a computer screen versus actually looking out the front window of a plane. It seems when I get down to about 500 I realize what was perfect really was not.

3) Turning and maintaining a steady altitude. I watch people all the time turn (with AP off) and its always so very steady.. Turning is a real chore with trying to keep a desired altitude. Ideas?

For now, lets assume the plane being used for these questions is the default cessna in fsx. I have really gotten used to autopilot and I feel like im somehow cheating.. Maybe its not really cheating, but i feel im cheating myself. For landing I have been using AP until about 500 feet at which point I turn it off and make small corrections... I wish I could get myself there in the same position without AP... Making those small corrections.

Anyways, anyone got a bone they can throw at me? thanks. :)

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The absolute first thing you learn about when learning how to fly is trim. You trim for power. So set your throttle, and trim your airplane. Then, do not use the yoke to stay on glideslope, use power.

Assuming you have trimmed your airplane for level flight on your current power setting, lowering the power will cause your airplane to descend, increasing power will cause your airplane to ascend. This is the proper way to fly a glideslope. It is text book, it is how the instructors will teach you how to do it at your local FBO.

When dealing with low power prop aircraft such as a Cessna, it is well good and proper to maintain runway alignment using yaw input from your rudder pedels. When the power is increased, and other characteristics change, for example say you are in a Boeing 737, then you do not ever do this but rather use roll and trust in your functioning yaw dampener to do the trick. You shall notice in any airliner you ride in during landing the wings will rock back and forth as the pilot keeps track of the runway.

As for your third....that just takes touch. In real life you have the benefit of sensation, of feeling as the aircraft changes, even though you will soon get taught to not really trust any sensation as their are various traps and optical illusions that can get you in trouble so best trust what the gauges tell you. Roll your airplane slowly, no jerky motions, and gently apply back pressure on your yoke to compensate for any descent created from the altering of the AoA of your airfoils, which rolling of the aircraft does.

The standard use of autoflight in a jetliner would be once beyond 2000 feet AGSL and with the aircraft fully trimmed for climb out, activate autopilot. Then turn off autopilot upon lowering the gear. It is quite common to leave autopilot on after gear deploy and to final flap deployment. This would be about 1,000 AGSL.

For a cessna, do not mess about with autopilot under 2,000 AGSL. To fly an IS as I had described earlier, best to hit about 2,000 feet AGSL, take manual control of the aircraft and get a feel for the power setting and trim. Then, perform the procedure turn, teardrop, whatever you have to do to get on localizer and then use power to maintain your glidesope.

And of course, practice, practice, practice. Keep flying, and you will get the feel for your airplane, what different corrections in control surfaces and power will result in in terms of attitude and speed, and just keep at it.

And keep the blue side up.

Good luck and blue skies.

OrbitalConfusion

Reaction score
Thank you so much.

I actually printed what you typed out. I am going to go back to the basics again and focus on basic things like you mentioned. Lastnight I spent 2 hours practicing touch'n go's at KTPA. Basically Im flying a big race track type circle so I constantly TO, level out, and then make a landings. In doing this alone, I learned a few things besides finally being able to maintain altitude during turns.. My stick is inadequate. (logitech extreme3d pro) The inputs from this stick are extreme despite my best efforts to try and smoth them out. The end result is that it deny's me the ability to make those fine tuning movements.

I am going to order a better setup since flight simming, Orbiter are 2 things that have been with me for over 2 years and I have not grown out of it. Ive been afraid to sink money thinking this was all just a phase... You know?

Again, thanks!

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
There is a program that is considered a must have by the more avid FSXers called FSUIPC. Give it a look, it is not very expensive, but one of the things you can do with it is calibrate your joystick so it handles better with FSX, you can also map your buttons on the joystick, throttle directly to FSX commands, and not just key strokes.

It also has many other uses, many. It is a tremendous utility, made by a crotchety old fellow by the name of Pete Dawson.