Heaviest cargo for XR5 Vanguard?

Sky Captain

Reaction score
Just a question out of curiosity. What`s the heaviest payload you have lifted to LEO with XR5? I ask this because today I lifted a 900 ton fuel tank to LEO with XR5 That`s twice the recommended max cargo mass. Perhaps someone has put something even more heavier in XR5

It took the whole length of the SRC spaceport`s runway and even then liftoff was only possible with front hover engine assist. Fuel ISP was set to 32000 and ten additional fuel tanks (those that comes with XR5 Morning star refueler) were put in free bay slots. When I finally after long DGEX stle ascent reached 600 X 600 km orbit only 7% of fuel remained.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
The maximum cargo weight specified in the manual is a recommendation based on default settings. If you change those settings, anything is possible!

Sky Captain

Reaction score
Ha, it`s even possible to lift this cargo with default ISP settings, you just need to add 6 main fuel and 4 scram fuel tanks to the free cargo bay slots each with 13000 kg of fuel.

Seems that XR5 can take almost anything:speakcool:

kwan3217

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I've only done 432 tons (full load of XR parts, no extra fuel) but I am taking them all the way to the moon. The thing takes for EVER to get into orbit, and when I'm there, I have about 1.5km/s delta v left. So, what do I do? Dump the cargo overboard, of course. I boosted the cargo using 1km/s to a higher elliptical orbit, then landed at Vandenberg to pick up more fuel.

I have a question about landing the XR5, though. I am used to flying a space shuttle, and I use its entry corridor to good effect. However, once I am on final approach, I can't keep the speed up enough. It seems that even an empty XR5 requires a 30deg glide slope to keep the speed up. So, my question is: Am I doing it wrong? Is XR5 supposed to be a gliding lander?

Sky Captain

Reaction score
I have a question about landing the XR5, though. I am used to flying a space shuttle, and I use its entry corridor to good effect. However, once I am on final approach, I can't keep the speed up enough. It seems that even an empty XR5 requires a 30deg glide slope to keep the speed up. So, my question is: Am I doing it wrong? Is XR5 supposed to be a gliding lander?

You can land XR5 unpowered just fine. When you reenter target the area within 100 - 150 km of your base. When you are within this distance you should be at 25 - 30 km altitude and have 1 - 1,3 km/s speed. When that`s done transfer from reentry to gliding aim for your base use airbrake if necessary. XR5 will glide just fine with 13 - 15 deg slope although probably with slower speed than shuttle. When you approach your runway you should have about 160 - 180 m/s speed, landing should happen at ~110 - 120 m/s speed.

That`s roughly how I do my reentries and landings.

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have updated the Morning Star now to include SCRAM payload so if you enjoy flying the XR5 on default settings, a few SCRAM containers will really boost your payload capabilities