Hello, how far can you go with Orbiter?

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Does anyone know how far you can go in Orbiter, and how far has anyone gotten?

You can't travel to other star systems at the moment, but I think the distance is infinite, or seems to be.

Lunar Pilot

Reaction score
x

Well, I know that they don't know how far you can go, I was just wondering the speed and distance records of other people. And surely, there has to be a limit, I mean, I doubt a computer could simulate an infinite space.

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
I don't think it would need to, it might just keep on adding to the figures and so on...

Until you run into the sky-box. Or should I say star-box?

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I've gone out many GPc (gigaparsecs) and beyond before. Same for velocity. I used ScnEditor to add more and more velocity while using time acceleration. After a while it would sometimes go back to some earlier velocity but I think I did manage to get it extremely high and it started using scientific notation. I think at some point Orbiter 'broke' and there was no real velocity or distance(too close to infinity? messed up in it's large math?) and Orbiter CTDd later on. :p

Lunar Pilot

Reaction score
I guess I can't say much, I haven't made Orbiter crash yet. There is a reason I'm called lunar pilot. The reason why I'm asking is because I'm doing it right now, I've gotten to about 59154.12 light years. And the best part, it's taken less than fifteen years.

Does anyone know exactly what model they plan to add new solar systems to the basic Orbiter program? I mean, we can only fly around Sol for so long.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I think I might hold the speed record..
I went 391 AU and I flew out of the solar system in half a second, And I did so, so correctly that I flew very close to jupiter, And Neptune. enough for Each for Atmospheric Heating.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Lunar Pilot,

Please title your thread with something more than "Hello" in the future and post in the proper forum. I have changed this for you now and moved this thread to the Orbiter forum. Also, do not create more than one thread per topic.

Review the forum rules HERE.

Ursus

Rocket Tinker
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The theoretical maximum distance you can get from the sun would be bound to the limits of the double floating-point number data type, which according to MSDN is
1.7976931348623158e+308 (So 1.7977 * 10^308 meters). The further you get out, though, the less precisely your position can be calculated.

I don't believe there really is a "star box". The stars are just drawn relative to your viewpoint, no matter where it is in the solar system.