Hello, new to these parts

IthyStPete

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Ithy. I've been using Orbiter for a couple of months, but this is my first post here. I'm a high school student with interest and some experience in mathematics and physics, but nothing special compared to some of the folks here.
As far as Orbiter experience, I can do the basic stuff within the Earth-Moon system, but I have no idea how to use TransX or IMFD. I'm most familiar with the stock DG, but I just got the XR2, XR5, and XR1 today, and have been familiarizing myself with them. I have a bit of c++ knowledge, but no idea how to program any kind of new addon.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
:welcome:

Download the SDK and there are several sample vessel codes for you to look at. Only basic C++ knowledge is required to program addons.

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
For IMFD and TransX you pretty much have to follow the tutorials in the included documentation to figure it out. Sorry, but read the manual is pretty much the only way.

MajorTom

Ker-splash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Welcome Ithy! Don't feel lost in a sea of "experts" as we're all trying hard to learn here. (I've published a few add-ons but am still learning C++)

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Ithy!

If you want a good understanding of how IMFD works, I suggest this [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3403"]tutorial [/ame]written by ar81. It won't tell you what to do, what buttons to press, but will give you a good understanding of the principles of physics and orbital mechanics behind its use.

For beginning addon development, you should check out the OrbiterSDK section of the forum. There is a sticky titled Addon development resources that will lead you to the tools you need to get started. There are several tutorials on OH also that deal with making meshes, etc. Also check out the Addon Development threads if you haven't already.

Of course you can always ask questions on the forum as there are many here who would be glad to answer. Just follow the guidelines for posting in the correct area.

Again, welcome to the community!