Hello! (Teenager here)

SRSR333

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm a 16-year-old, and have been using Orbiter for about 2 years now. I've come to love it, as it's incredibly fun and satisfyingly accurate too. I use Orbiter mostly for realistic space flights. I also simulate atmospheric flights with X-Plane 10, and spaceflights for fun with Kerbal Space Program.

I'm really interested in astrophysics and hope to get into Caltech... But that's later.

I develop for iOS and OS X, and of course, wonder if its possible to port Orbiter, which is such a great spaceflight sim, into native OS X code(Objective-C, which incidentally, I feel is a whimsically great language).

That's all about me, except for the fact that I live in Singapore where there aren't many clear nights for astro-photography.

Thanks!

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums ! :hello:

Hail the Mighty Probe ! :hailprobe:

meson800

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hey SRSR, I'm sixteen too!

:welcome:

Belisarius

Obsessed with reality. Why?
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Welcome young one, hope you enjoy being among the Orbiter Community

I feel the force is strong in you (and meson800 too)

BTW Caltech is fantastic - apart from the super education there's a fantastic student culture there. Wishing you the best

SRSR333

Reaction score
Thanks for the wishes, guys. Nice to meet fellow teens interested in space stuff...

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Welcome!

Word of advice though, you should probably attain citizenship first, then move to California, then enroll in Caltech. Out-Of-State tuition is *really* high.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Welcome, and don't forget to have fun.

SRSR333

Reaction score
Welcome!

Word of advice though, you should probably attain citizenship first, then move to California, then enroll in Caltech. Out-Of-State tuition is *really* high.

Yeah. I get that. However, I've still got the better part of 5 years left to think about it. Gotta do O levels (this October), A levels and then SAT. Oh, and there's also two years of compulsory military conscription here in Singapore... So I have lots of time to mull it over.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums! :welcome:

I visited Singapore back in the late 80's early 90's while I was in the NAVY. It was my favorite stop along the "Rim".

SRSR333

Reaction score
Thanks for your welcomes.... Singapore has become nearly unrecognisable since then. Well, its been 20 years! :)

Belisarius

Obsessed with reality. Why?
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You're going to learn so much about astrophysics from the genius types here (I'm not one of them, my experience of Caltech is strictly from hanging out with them in the student bars a long time ago)

Have fun and make the most of the O-F community.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Welcome & stuff.

Since no one else has answered you on this part...
I develop for iOS and OS X, and of course, wonder if its possible to port Orbiter, which is such a great spaceflight sim, into native OS X code(Objective-C, which incidentally, I feel is a whimsically great language).
Orbiter is closed source, so if a port were going to happen, Dr Schweiger would need to do it himself. He hasn't indicated any interest in doing so, so it's not going to happen any time soon.

There are also technical and non-technical considerations as to why such a thing would be a waste of time. I won't start a big discussion about them in this thread, since there have been a handful of other threads on the topic. Feel free to start another thread on the topic, if you want to have your hopes and dreams crushed.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
:welcome:

Thanks for slinging by the forum. You may have come for the change in velocity, but the atmosphere will make you hang around for a while.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
:welcome: to Orbiter-Forum!

:tiphat:

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Yeah. I get that. However, I've still got the better part of 5 years left to think about it. Gotta do O levels (this October), A levels and then SAT. Oh, and there's also two years of compulsory military conscription here in Singapore... So I have lots of time to mull it over.

If the Singapore Military is like the US military, they might give you some tuition assistance, though that might only be in country*.

*YMMV

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums young man and enjoy your stay. If you are interested in astrophysics and the like you should feel right at home. :cheers:
BTW the creator of Kerbal space program (Harvester) got his inspiration for KSP from Orbiter. In case you were not aware of that. Again, Welcome!

Last edited:

SRSR333

Reaction score
Welcome & stuff.

Since no one else has answered you on this part...

Orbiter is closed source, so if a port were going to happen, Dr Schweiger would need to do it himself. He hasn't indicated any interest in doing so, so it's not going to happen any time soon.

There are also technical and non-technical considerations as to why such a thing would be a waste of time. I won't start a big discussion about them in this thread, since there have been a handful of other threads on the topic. Feel free to start another thread on the topic, if you want to have your hopes and dreams crushed.

Yeah, well, I realised it was closed-source soon enough. Of course, this is just wishful thinking, and a little of my OS X fanboyism. Thanks for clarifying, and thanks to everyone else for the kind welcomes.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
There is another member here who was working on something very Orbiter (ish) for the Mac. If I can scrounge up some time before the bosses show up I'll see if I can find the thread.