News Here be Dragons: SpaceX reveals manned Dragon design

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
The first Commercial Crew missions begin in 2017, and the first space test flights should be in 2016.

Jeff Foust @jeff_foust
Musk: the first unscrewed #DragonV2 flight could be as soon as late 2015; first crewed flight as soon as mid-2016.

That's actually rather realistic I think, and it will beat the competitors to the punch (CST-100 and Dreamchaser were aiming at crewed flight tests in 2017 right now).

:hailprobe:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Reminds me more on the Zarya capsule design of the Russians... which wasn't that successful during the acoustic tests.

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Even though I'm a big fan of space x I have to admit that I dislike the current capsule design...it looks like it was ripped out of a cheap scifi flick.

SpaceNut

Reaction score
Completely reasonable question. I assume it is because it looks like it is. It just looks a lot like a mockup. I expected it to be in a clean room or just a pressure vessel, I was definitely surprised...

In any case, I have now seen flight hardware...

Completely reasonable answer! Actually I had the same thought shortly after I replied to you. I'm guessing the first launch of it might be a demonstration mission unmanned. It's unusual to fly manned craft the first time out. Perhaps it's a mock-up made with actual flight hardware. In other words, it's genuine, but will never fly higher than hanging from the ceiling, no clean room required.

I'm floored by this vehicle. It seems very well thought out. Alot of redundancy. Alot of simplicity. Did you see the interior... pretty simplistic design. Also, the ability to perform a pinpoint landing anywhere on the surface of the Earth. If that thing is capably of landing on Earth, I bet the Moon and Mars would be cake.

Unstung

Reaction score
I assume Dragon V2 ditched the solar array "wings" for simplicity and just placed the cells on the trunk itself. However, what purpose do the trunk's fins serve in the thermosphere (which was asked previously)?

Also, it's surprising that the capsule itself can contain enough fuel for orbital maneuvers, deorbit, and propulsive landing.

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
If that thing is capably of landing on Earth, I bet the Moon and Mars would be cake.

Actually, it being able to land on Earth wouldn't automatically mean it could handle landing on any other planet/moon/what-have-you, partly because with Earth you can scrub off quite a lot of velocity using Earth's atmosphere. Mars or the Moon don't have anywhere near the same atmosphere, so to land there different stuff will be needed. Bigger chutes, more propellent, or whatever it might require would all add up to non-trivial changes to the Dragon V2 that might as well make it the V3, or whatever they want to name it.

Anyway, I'm a bit surprised SpaceX choose to make the Dragon V2 as different as it is from the original Dragon. Was there anything in the presentation about why it's different? I'm on a rather slow computer ATM, and I couldn't watch it.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I'm sure (even at the most ambitious level) there will be some lengthy turnaround time involved. Even commercial aircraft have a decent inspection between flights. It typically took me about 45 minutes to an hour to do a turnaround inspection on an SH-60. A daily inspection took maybe 4-5 hours, depending on what I found.

I'd want some pretty serious NDI before I got into something like this prior to re-use.

Last edited:

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I'm sure (even at the most ambitious level) there will be some lengthy turnaround time involved. Even commercial aircraft have a decent inspection between flights. It typically took me about 45 minuted to an hour to do a turnaround inspection on an SH-60. A daily inspection took maybe 4-5 hours, depending on what I found.

I'd want some pretty serious NDI before I got into something like this prior to re-use.

True that, but you gotta remember that rotory wing aircraft are the special-needs children of aviation. I'd bet you dollars to pesos that a Dragon inspection deck would be shorter than a Sikorsky's.

Out of curiosity when/where were you working on H-60s and why didn't you have a platoon of line-rats to help with the turnarounds?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
H-2's (F then G models) and H-60's (B, F and H) at VX-1 (Pax River) 1992-95, shuffled down to Mayport 95-97 to be a Swamp Fox (HSL-44 Det 10). Det concept = we all be plane captains!

Although at VX-1 I never pulled the first inspection or wash job on anything (P-3 flap tracks suck though, I saw enough to know that's a true statement). We had the rotory wings already mentions, but also had S-3, ES-3, P-3, an EP-3, and the E-6's started showing up as I left.

I would hope that a Dragon recert/safe for flight inspection would take weeks instead of hours. The TPS inspection should take a few days at least.

I sure would like to take a look at their procedures.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
True that, but you gotta remember that rotory wing aircraft are the special-needs children of aviation. I'd bet you dollars to pesos that a Dragon inspection deck would be shorter than a Sikorsky's.

I would not be so confident there - it involves rocket engines and even pressure fed engines require a lot of inspection between test firings. Think of very sensitive hydraulics to estimate the time.

Also, it has carbon fiber parts AFAIR, which again means a lot of extra time for a regular integrity check compared to aluminum or honeycomb. Its very different there, since while a carbon fiber part can practically last for ever when properly done (good carbon bike parts exceed the 1 million cycles easily), small damages, that would not be a concern for an aluminum part would be fatal for a carbon part. (Bicycle fans know it, the German aerospace agency knows it... Boeing believes its no problem)

Last edited:

Malky

Reaction score
Well, most important question of all: When we will fly this badass in Orbiter? Anyone making model, with beautiful real VC and so? I would start making it right now, but don't know sh*t about 3D modeling.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, most important question of all: When we will fly this badass in Orbiter? Anyone making model, with beautiful real VC and so? I would start making it right now, but don't know sh*t about 3D modeling.

Same here, I am really bad in modeling and lack the time to do awesome in C++ right now.

MattBaker

Reaction score
However, what purpose do the trunk's fins serve in the thermosphere (which was asked previously)?

Uh, the LAS is built in, right? Then I would guess they have [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grid_fin"]grid fins[/ame] like the Soyuz?

Also, they not only have unmanned orbital tests but also an LAS test scheduled, right? So that will all happen at some point in 18 months+